Gareth Southgate Toughens Up England For Hard Campaign at Russia 2018

 Gareth Southgate, the England manager, watches the draw for the 2018 World Cup in Moscow. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
Gareth Southgate, the England manager, watches the draw for the 2018 World Cup in Moscow. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
TT

Gareth Southgate Toughens Up England For Hard Campaign at Russia 2018

 Gareth Southgate, the England manager, watches the draw for the 2018 World Cup in Moscow. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
Gareth Southgate, the England manager, watches the draw for the 2018 World Cup in Moscow. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

If anything about last month’s friendlies against Germany and Brazil set a resounding tone for Gareth Southgate it was the way in which, deprived of meaningful possession in the latter, his makeshift side weathered a storm. Few World Cup contenders travel far into the tournament without getting through choppy waters at some point: the task now, particularly with Belgium such an imposing rival for Group G supremacy next summer, is to ensure England are conditioned to master such punishing circumstances when it counts.

Shared hardship is one of Southgate’s pet themes although, giving his 19th and final interview of Friday night in a remote corner of Moscow’s vast Crowne Plaza hotel, he could have been excused for projecting. The issue is serious though and so was Southgate when, albeit with a laugh, he compared that examination by Neymar and company to the rigours of a visit to the Royal Marines’ commando training centre that his squad undertook in June.

“We had that in the last half-hour against Brazil as well, which is the most invaluable hardship you can go through,” Southgate said. “You’re on the pitch and you’re digging in for each other, getting that relief of keeping a clean sheet against arguably the best team in the world at the moment.”

Southgate’s reign has been notable for his concern that the squad shares its burden of expectation. He wants to create a team of leaders and the most visible evidence has been in his choice of six captains – Eric Dier, Harry Kane, Jordan Henderson, Joe Hart, Gary Cahill and Wayne Rooney – across 14 games. The odds on a sole totemic, chest-thumping leader beating the path to Russia appear slim when you take into account his current thinking: the strong implication is that the system is here to stay and has had deeper benefits than a simple directive as to who points and shouts.

“I feel the process has been really revealing for us as a group of staff to watch, but also a good experience for the players to feel that responsibility and to share the ownership,” he said. “Too much has fallen on, in particular, Wayne’s shoulders in the last few years. Now there’s the opportunity, even in meetings and on the training pitch, for others to step forward, make contributions and give an opinion.”

In those circumstances the captaincy becomes more or less a ceremonial honour and Southgate said he would not be averse to following the Spanish model – also used by, among others, Italy – of awarding it to the most-capped player in a given team selection. “There have been times where having one leader is important,” he said. “But I feel as if the modern world is a little bit different and the shared responsibility becomes a more important thing.”

It is hardly an overnight process but those with added reason to mark England’s development feel there has already been a sea change from the night, 17 months ago, when little more than an early Icelandic squall brought them to their knees. The Tunisia coach, Nabil Maâloul, is tasked with plotting a similar upset and was not simply paying lip service when requested to rate their chances shortly after Friday’s draw. Maâloul works as a Premier League pundit and suggested England are not the same team that floundered last year.

“You feel there is one team,” he said. “There is a coach who has got them very tactically disciplined; the England mentality has completely changed.”

It would be wise not to get carried away until Southgate, for whom failure in a walk-through of a qualifying group was not an option, has cajoled England through a somewhat riskier environment. The squad’s relative lack of international knowhow is highlighted by the fact that, if Southgate abided strictly to Spain’s approach, the 22-year-old Raheem Sterling would be skipper-in-waiting in the not implausible event that none of Hart, Cahill or Henderson were on the pitch. Realistically, there is scant prospect of Sterling leading England out next summer but, in hitting scintillating form for Manchester City after a patchy previous year, he has made the kind of strides that serve as a perfect example for his manager to invoke.

“Certainly Raheem has real resilience,” Southgate said. “He is still a young player so there are moments where you have these leaps in improvement and that is huge credit to him and his mentality.”

Sterling is yet to hit similar heights for England and was substituted at half-time in the victory over Malta in September. Southgate has six months to extract a similar level of performance and is working to create an atmosphere where the mental lethargy that has pock-marked so much of England’s recent work is cast aside. He intends to plan another of those exacting awayday activities similar, although not identical, to that experience with the Marines and thinks his players require experiences that will “stimulate them, keep the energy up and the enthusiasm”.

The kind of hardiness that would give Southgate and England a fighting chance in June cannot be microwaved and, with the Football Association only recently having appointed a new head of people and team development in Pippa Grange it is unlikely that major changes to the backroom structure will be foisted upon the players travelling to Russia. Most of the psychological support will come from those already in situ; the hope is that England will translate the good feeling Southgate has nurtured into something even more satisfying. In the meantime, a little more adversity might just come in handy before the biggest challenges come around.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.