The Libyan Attorney General's office calmed fears of late President Muammar Gaddafi’s family concerning the alleged disappearance son Al-Saadi Gaddafi from his prison cell in Tripoli.
In a statement issued by the office, Al-Saadi was said to still be in confinement and waiting to be put to trial.
The Gaddafi family said it lost contact with Al-Saadi for a while now and is completely in the dark on his condition.
“All we know is that he is being held hostage in a prison run by the militias in the capital,” one of the family members came out as saying.
In a statement circulated to the local media, the Gaddafi family called on all human rights organizations, social leaders, honorable and free people to act to protect Al-Saadi.
The statement held militias and all three governments and the judicial authorities responsible for his safety.
Head of the investigations department at the Libyan prosecutor's office Siddiq Sour told Xinhua on Thursday that Saadi Gaddafi has been in prison in Tripoli for three years.
"He is inside prison in Tripoli and he is fine."
"The defendant Al-Saadi Gaddafi is currently being tried for charges against him according to Libyan law," Sour added.
The Libyan official made his remarks in response to a statement issued on Tuesday by the Gaddafi family, in which they claimed that contact with Al-Saadi was lost a while ago.
"All the family has learned is that he is in a prison run by militias," The Gaddafi family said in a statement, adding that they had lost contact with Al-Saadi for quite a while and neither they nor his lawyer had been able to contact him.
"Despite testimonies of witnesses and consensus on his acquittal of charges against him, his trial has been repeatedly postponed and he was isolated from his lawyer," the statement said.
Al-Saadi is the third son of late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi. Al-Saadi was the former deputy commander of security units in the former regime. Libyan authorities accuse him of involvement in suppressing the 2011 uprising that overthrew his father's rule.
After losing the fighting between Gaddafi's army and Libyan rebels in 2011, Al-Saadi fled to Niger, which handed him over in 2014 to the Libyan authorities. He has since been held captive and his trial was postponed several times.
More on the war-torn country, Libya’s National Commission for Human Rights says that it holds the Presidency Council and its Government of National Accord responsible for the suffering and tragedy of the people of Tauorga, now in their seventh year of living in dire conditions in camps.
This has to end, The Libya National Commission for Human Rights has said, expressing its deep concern at the flooding and cold currently faced by those in camps in Tripoli as a result of the torrential rain and cold.
Tauorga is a town in Libya that is under administrative jurisdiction of the city of Misrata.
There has to be urgent humanitarian assistance for them, it has said.
Tauorga refugees, mainly from the Falah camp near Tripoli’s Airport Road, protested on Friday outside the prime minister’s office demanding to be allowed to return to their hometown but also to be given adequate shelter.
Once again, their camp has been flooded.
Social media reports that five Tauorga people have drowned in the camps at Falah and Janzour as a result of the flooding have not been confirmed.