Turkey Investigates Assassination Plots against Dissidents

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (AFP)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (AFP)
TT

Turkey Investigates Assassination Plots against Dissidents

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (AFP)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (AFP)

Amid indications of efforts to improve the already strained relations between Turkey and Germany and the Netherlands, the public prosecutor in Ankara opened an investigation into information revealed by opposition lawmakers about plots to track and assassinate Turkish dissidents living in Europe.

Member of the Peoples’ Democratic Party of Turkey (HDP), MP Garo Paylan said during a parliamentary press meeting that he had received a tip-off about plans to assassinate Turkish citizens who oppose Turkey’s ruling regime and who are living in Europe.

According to Paylan, those dissidents include academics, journalists and opposition politicians, many of whom live in Germany.

Following Paylan’s remarks, the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement that it had launched an investigation into the claims, calling on the HDP deputy to testify as a witness.

“I received intelligence last week over plans to assassinate several Turkish citizens living in Europe, especially in Germany. I have verified the information from multiple sources,” Paylan said.

The MP's statement coincided with the pro-government’s journalist Jam KuKuk’s calling for killing Turkish journalists in Europe for alleged links to exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt in July 15, 2016. Gulen has denied the charges.

Turkish authorities arrested more than 60,000 people in a campaign following the failed coup attempt and dismissed over 160,000 others from various state institutions for alleged links to Gulen.

The campaign of arrests also included a number of Kurdish supporters in political, media and university circles. Thousands have fled Turkey to escape the possibility of their arrest for alleged links to the attempted coup.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly accused Germany of becoming "a haven for terrorists," such as the supporters Gulen and the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

In January 2013, three Kurdish activists were shot dead in Paris, and investigators pointed to the possibility that Turkish intelligence could be involved, which is denied by Ankara. The defendant, Omar Ghonei, died last year before the trial or even before the French investigators could find out who ordered the murders.

In November, the German government announced its intention to strengthen its cooperation with the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) to protect the Turkish opposition, after the Turkish government succeeded more than once in putting political opponents on Interpol’s wanted list.

This came following the arrest of Turkish-German writer Dogan Akhanli in Spain based on Ankara’s request.

German authorities intend to inform Interpol of te asylum status of individuals prosecuted by Turkey. There may be a large number of these individuals residing in Germany and pursued by Ankara through the Interpol.

Reports indicate that Kurdish writer Selim Curukkaya, who has lived for 20 years in the German city of Hamburg, has learned that his name is on Interpol’s wanted list.

Meanwhile, Germany hopes relations Turkey will improve as German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said Turkey’s decision to release a sixth German citizen from jail gave hope that relations between the two NATO allies could improve.

“Decisions such as these give hope that we can rebuild trust step by step and relax the bilateral relationship,” Gabriel said in a statement released late on Thursday.

The decision to allow David Britsch to return to Germany follows the release earlier this week of German journalist Mesale Tolu after nearly eight months in prison.

Gabriel said he had agreed with his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu to continue talks given the “difficult issues” that still had to be resolved.

“Following recent rulings in Turkey, six persons have now been released from prisons or allowed to leave,” Gabriel said, indicating that in the case of the imprisoned journalist Deniz Yucel, the Turkish judiciary has at least made the conditions for detention easier, adding: “The next urgent step here is the presentation of an indictment.”

Meanwhile, German Foreign Ministry deputy spokeswoman Maria Adebahr announced that this is another positive signal.

She pointed out that both Turkey and German decided to move forward with bilateral meetings, which began in recent weeks, according to what both foreign ministers confirmed.

In related news, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte has expressed his desire to fix “cold relations” between his country and Turkey.

"I think that it will be good if the relations [with Turkey] are fixed. Turkey is a NATO partner," Rutte said in an interview.

Last March, Dutch authorities canceled the flight permit of a plane carrying Turkish Foreign Minister and banned him and the Family and Social Affairs Minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya from Rotterdam from addressing the Turkish community in the Netherlands ahead of an April 16 referendum.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.