The United Nations mediator to Yemen will step down from his post in February, nearly three years after assuming the job, announced the UN on Monday.
Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed will step down when his current contract finishes at the end of next month, said UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric.
“The Special Envoy remains committed to pursue through diplomacy an end to the violence and a political solution that meets the legitimate aspirations of the Yemeni people, until a successor is named,” he added.
"In this moment, his thoughts go first to the Yemeni people who are worn out by this conflict and are enduring one of the most devastating humanitarian crisis in the world," he continued.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres wants to quickly appoint a new special envoy for Yemen to replace Ould Cheikh Ahmed, continued the spokesman.
Earlier on Monday, Saudi Arabia on Monday announced $1.5 billion in new aid for Yemen.
The Kingdom said the Arab Coalition it heads in Yemen would also "lead the expansion of additional Yemeni ports" to receive cargo and humanitarian assistance, ensure multiple daily flights of cargo planes carrying aid from Saudi Arabia to Yemen's Marib province, and establish "safe passage corridors" to ensure transportation of aid to non-governmental organizations operating inside Yemen.
Additionally, the Kingdom will make a donation of up to $2 billion in fuel for the transportation of humanitarian aid.