The Egyptian Armed Forces released on Tuesday a statement on former commander Sami Anan’s announcement that he would be running for president in the March elections.
The statement said that Anan’s nomination declaration served as a “blatant incitement” against the military.
The statement said Anan would be questioned on charges of forging documents relevant to the formal end of his active service, breaching army regulations by declaring his intention to run without first clearing it with the military and inciting against the armed forces in his comments to the nation when he declared his intention to run for president earlier this month.
“The Armed Forces could not allow itself to ignore the blatant legal violations committed by the aforementioned which constituted a gross breach of the rules and regulations governing the service of armed forces officers," it added.
"In upholding the principle of the law's sovereignty as the basic rule of the state, it is imperative that legal measures pertaining to these violations and crimes be taken and he (Anan) is summoned for questioning by the relevant authorities," it said.
The presidential elections are scheduled for March 26-28, with runoffs the following month, if needed.