Bitcoin May Split 50 Times in 2018

image via Reuters
image via Reuters
TT

Bitcoin May Split 50 Times in 2018

image via Reuters
image via Reuters

Bitcoin God arrived last month. Bitcoin Pizza was delivered in January. Bitcoin Private’s issuance date is... still a secret.

They’re just a few of the growing stable of so-called forks -- a type of spinoff in which developers clone Bitcoin’s software, release it with a new name, a new coin and possibly a few new features. Often, the idea is to capitalize on the public’s familiarity with Bitcoin to make some serious money, at least virtually.

Some 19 Bitcoin forks came out last year -- but up to 50 more could happen this year, according to Lex Sokolin, global director of fintech strategy at Autonomous Research. Ultimately, the number could run even higher now that Forkgen, a site enabling anyone with rudimentary programming skills to launch a clone, is in operation. In a Jan. 14 tweet, hedge fund manager Ari Paul predicted more than 10 percent of the current value of Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash will reside in new offshoots.

Motives behind the efforts vary. Some backers try to improve on Bitcoin. Others seek a quick profit. Developers typically score a cache of newly minted coins in a process called post-mining. Yet prices don’t necessarily hold up for long.

“Unfortunately, most fork-based projects we see today are more of a sheer money grab,” said George Kimionis, chief executive officer of Coinomi, a wallet that lets Bitcoin owners collect their new forked coins. “Looking back a few years from now we might realize that they were just mutations fostered by investors blinded by numerical price increases -- rather than honest attempts to contribute to the blockchain ecosystem.”

He predicts forking may soon sideline a more popular alternative, initial coin offerings, in which startups raise money by selling entirely new tokens. That market has gotten crowded after raising about $3.7 billion last year, and smaller offerings have struggled.

A fork’s main advantage lies in sprouting from Bitcoin, the world’s most famous cryptocurrency. In a typical fork, all existing Bitcoin owners are eligible for the forked-off coin -- giving the new asset a potentially huge number of users. Most coins arrive with at least some name recognition, because they bake “Bitcoin” into their moniker. Take for example, Bitcoin Diamond, with a price that started off strong. It didn’t last forever.

“Bitcoin forks are kind of the new alt coin,” Rhett Creighton, who’s working on the upcoming Bitcoin Private fork, said in a phone interview. “We are going to see now a bunch of Bitcoin forks. And they are going to start replacing some of the top hundred alt coins.” Bitcoin Private promises to offer more privacy features than the original Bitcoin.

Forks can also help startups raise funds in countries such as China, where ICOs have been banned, said Susan Eustis, CEO of WinterGreen Research.

Worth Billions

Years ago, entrepreneurs drew on Bitcoin’s code to launch alternatives such as Litecoin and later Dogecoin, seeking to differentiate themselves in name and often in features. But while Dogecoin now has a $744 million market value, younger clones Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold already dwarf it. Bitcoin Cash, launched in August, is now the fourth most valuable coin, worth a total of about $27 billion, according to CoinMarketCap.com.

“Bitcoin Cash was successful, quite a lot of momentum,” Charlie Hayter, CEO of coin researcher CryptoCompare, said in a phone interview. “Now other traders try to see if they can pull off the same thing.”

A fork can often make millions for its developers as well as the server farms running and supporting the new software. Bitcoin Gold distributed 100,000 coins, currently worth almost $190 apiece, to an endowment funding its ecosystem and development. About 5,000 of those coins went to the core team that created the fork. If the coins appreciate, that’s a boon for the developers as well.

Miners -- whose computers and servers process cryptocurrency transactions -- have been helping create new coins, hoping for fat rewards. Bitbank and some Chinese miners were instrumental when Bitcoin core developer Jeff Garzik created UnitedBitcoin, which forked in December. Like many other forks, it can be mined using older gear that can’t compete with state-of-the-art machines on the Bitcoin network. So if UnitedBitcoin takes off, miners with older machines that support it will be minting money.

Little Miners

Many of the new forks are looking to lure mom-and-pop miners, who’ve been pushed aside by industrial server farms. Some forks allow GPU mining, which means anyone with a graphics card can potentially participate.

Imagine “rigs set up in a garage,” Nick Dooley, a core developer of Bitcoin Interest, said in a phone interview. “Everybody has a graphic card, and most people can afford to purchase one that can mine a certain amount of coins.”

Even some of Bitcoin’s initial forks are getting forked, with Bitcoin Cash getting a proposed derivative, Bitcoin Candy.

Support from miners isn’t always enough to maintain a price. SegWit2x [B2X], a fork from late December, drew more than 10,000 miners, according to an email from one its creators. But B2X has been sliding, losing more than 90 percent of its value since Dec. 22, according to exchange Yobit.net.

“We provide our users with choices and let them decide which assets they are going to use and which not,” Coinomi’s Kimionis said. “We don’t make that decision for them.”

Bloomberg



Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
TT

Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Region, inaugurated on Monday two major aviation projects at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam: a dedicated General Aviation Terminal for private flights and the Kingdom’s first Category III Instrument Landing System (ILS), which enables fully automatic aircraft landings in low-visibility conditions.

The ceremony was attended by Minister of Transport and Logistics Services and Chairman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) Saleh bin Nasser Al-Jasser and President of GACA and Chairman of the Saudi Airports Holding Company Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al-Duailej.

Prince Saud said the projects represent a qualitative leap in strengthening the aviation ecosystem in the Eastern Region, boosting the airport’s operational readiness and its regional and international competitiveness.

The introduction of a Category III automatic landing system for the first time in Saudi Arabia reflects the advanced technological progress achieved by the national aviation sector and its commitment to the highest international standards, he stressed.

The General Aviation Terminal marks a significant upgrade to airport infrastructure. Spanning more than 23,000 square meters, the facility is designed to ensure efficient operations and fast passenger processing.

The main terminal covers 3,935 square meters, while aircraft parking areas extend over 12,415 square meters with capacity to accommodate four aircraft simultaneously. An additional 6,665 square meters are allocated to support services and car parking, improving traffic flow and delivering a premium travel experience for private aviation users.

The upgraded Category III ILS, considered among the world’s most advanced air navigation systems, allows aircraft to land automatically during poor visibility, ensuring flight continuity while enhancing safety and operational efficiency.

The project includes rehabilitation of the western runway, extending 4,000 meters, along with a further 4,000 meters of aircraft service roads. More than 3,200 lighting units have been installed under an integrated advanced system to meet modern operational requirements and support all aircraft types.

Al-Jasser said the inauguration of the two projects translates the objectives of the Aviation Program under the National Transport and Logistics Strategy into concrete achievements.

The developments bolster airport capacity and efficiency, support the sustainability of the aviation sector, and strengthen the competitiveness of Saudi airports, he added.

Al-Duailej, for his part, said the initiatives align with Saudi Vision 2030 by positioning the Kingdom as a global logistics hub and a leading aviation center in the Middle East.

The new terminal reflects high standards of privacy and efficiency for general aviation users, he remarked, noting the selection of Universal Aviation as operator of the general aviation terminals in Dammam and Jeddah.

Dammam Airports Company operates three airports in the Eastern Region: King Fahd International Airport, Al-Ahsa International Airport, and Qaisumah International Airport.


Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
TT

Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 

Saudi Arabia will roll out real estate market indicators in the first quarter of this year and expand the Real Estate Market Balance program to all regions of the Kingdom, following its initial implementation in Riyadh, Minister of Municipalities and Housing Majed Al-Hogail announced on Monday.

Al-Hogail, who also chairs the General Real Estate Authority, made the remarks during a government press conference in Riyadh attended by Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary, President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) Abdullah Alghamdi, and other senior officials.

Al-Hogail said the housing and social ecosystem now includes more than 313 non-profit organizations supported by over 345,000 volunteers working alongside the public and private sectors.

He highlighted tangible outcomes, including housing assistance for 106,000 social security beneficiaries and the prevention of housing loss in 200,000 cases.

Development Initiatives

He noted that the non-profit sector is driving impact through more than 300 development initiatives and over 1,000 services, while empowering 100 non-profit entities and activating supervisory units across 17 municipalities.

Among key programs, Al-Hogail highlighted the Rental Support Program, which assisted more than 6,600 families last year, expanding the reach of housing aid.

He also traced the growth of the “Jood Eskan” initiative, which began by supporting 100 families and has since evolved into a nationwide program that has provided homes to more than 50,000 families across the Kingdom.

Since its launch, the initiative has attracted more than 4.5 million donors, with total contributions exceeding SAR 5 billion ($1.3 billion) since 2021.

Al-Hogail added that the introduction of electronic signatures has reduced the homeownership process from 14 days to just two.

In 2025 alone, more than 150,000 digital transactions were completed, and the needs of over 400,000 beneficiary families were assessed through integrated national databases. A mobile application for “Jood Eskan” is currently being deployed to further streamline services.

International Support and Economic Growth

Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary said the Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen launched 28 new development projects and initiatives worth SAR 1.9 billion ($506.6 million), including fuel grants for power generation and support for health, energy, education, and transport sectors across Yemeni governorates.

He also reported strong growth in the communications and information technology sector, which created more than 406,000 jobs by the end of 2025, up from 250,000 in 2018, an 80 percent cumulative increase. The sector’s market size reached nearly SAR 190 billion ($50.6 billion) in 2025.

Industry, Localization, and Philanthropy

In the industrial sector, investments exceeded SAR 9 billion ($2.4 billion), alongside five new renewable energy projects signed under the sixth phase of the National Renewable Energy Program.

Industrial and logistics investments worth more than SAR 8.8 billion ($2.34 billion) were also signed by the Saudi Authority for Industrial Cities and Technology Zones.

Al-Dossary said the Kingdom now hosts nearly 30,000 operating industrial facilities with total investments of about SAR 1.2 trillion ($320 billion), while the Saudi Export-Import Bank has provided SAR 115 billion ($30.6 billion) in credit facilities since its establishment.

On workforce development, nearly 100,000 social security beneficiaries were empowered through employment, training, and productive projects by late 2025, with localization rates in several specialized professions reaching as high as 70 percent.

Alghamdi said total donations through the “Ehsan” platform have reached SAR 14 billion ($3.7 billion) across 330 million transactions, reflecting the rapid growth of digital philanthropy in the Kingdom.


China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
TT

China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 

China's Russian oil imports are set to climb for a third straight month to a new record high in February as independent refiners snapped up deeply discounted cargoes after India slashed purchases, according to traders and ship-tracking data.

Russian crude shipments are estimated to amount to 2.07 million barrels per day for February deliveries into China, surpassing January's estimated rate of 1.7 million bpd, an early assessment by Vortexa Analytics shows.

Kpler's provisional data showed February imports at 2.083 million bpd, up from 1.718 million bpd in January, according to Reuters.

China has since November replaced India as Moscow's top client for seaborne shipments as Western sanctions over the war in Ukraine and pressure to clinch a trade deal with the US forced New Delhi to scale back Russian oil imports to a two-year low in December.

India's Russian crude imports are estimated to fall further to 1.159 million bpd in February, Kpler data showed.

Independent Chinese refiners, known as teapots, are the world's largest consumers of US sanctioned oil from Russia, Iran and Venezuela.

“For the quality you get from processing Russian oil versus Iranian, Russian supplies have become relatively more competitive,” said a senior Chinese trader who regularly deals with teapots.

ESPO blend last traded at $8 to $9 a barrel discounts to ICE Brent for March deliveries, while Iranian Light, a grade of similar quality, was last assessed at $10 to $11 below ICE Brent, the trader added.

Uncertainty since January over whether the US would launch military strikes on Iran if negotiations for a nuclear deal failed to yield Washington's desired results curbed buying from Chinese teapots and traders, said Emma Li, Vortexa's China analyst.

“For teapots, Russian oil looks more reliable now as people are worried about loadings of Iranian oil in case of a military confrontation,” Li said.

Part of the elevated Russian oil purchases came from larger independent refiners outside the teapot hub of Shandong, Li added.

Vortexa estimated Iranian oil deliveries into China – often banded by traders as Malaysian to circumvent US sanctions - eased to 1.03 million bpd this month, down from January's 1.25 million bpd.