Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)

Bahrain’s High Criminal Court issued sentences on Wednesday against 60 suspects held on terrorism charges, reported the Bahrain News Agency (BNA).

Acting Head of Terror Crime Prosecution, Chief Prosecutor Hamad Shaheen, said two defendants were sentenced to death and 19 to life in prison. The court also sentenced 17 defendants to 15 years in jail, nine to 10 years and 11 to five years. It also stripped 47 defendants of their citizenship.

Two detainees were acquitted.

The 60 suspects were put on trial on charges of forming a terrorist group. They were trained on the use of weapons and explosives for terrorist purposes and deliberate attempts to murder policemen.

The suspects also imported, possessed and used explosives, firearms and ammunition in armed robbery for terrorist purposes. They assaulted law enforcement personnel who protected the community from terrorist acts. They forcefully resisted arrest, fled from detention, assisted convicts to escape and sheltered convicted inmates, reported BNA.

According to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) records, the case annals date back to January 1, 2017 when ten convicts escaped from the Jaw Reformatory and Rehabilitation Center, killing one policeman from the prison warden force in the process.

The investigations revealed the formation of a terrorist organization, established and joined by a number of suspects, including 12 in Iran and Iraq, one in Germany and 40, including the 10 fugitives, in Bahrain.

The group leaders and members plotted numerous terrorist crimes aimed to destabilize public order, undermine the Kingdom’s safety and security, damage national unity and hamper authorities from carrying out their duties.

The investigations unraveled the suspects’ formation of their terrorist organization, and how the suspects communicated with members of the organization in the Kingdom who are inmates inside or outside prison to recruit other elements. They supplied them with various explosives, firearms and ammunition that had been smuggled into Bahrain.

They also supplied them with the necessary funds for their subsistence and terror activities. They, jointly with their leader, who was a fugitive in Germany, managed the travel procedures for members of the organization to travel to Iran and Iraq to train on the use of explosives, firearms in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard camps to prepare them to carry out terrorist crimes in Bahrain, said BNA.

The security personnel arrested a number of the suspects in accordance with the Law for the Protection of the Community against Terrorist Acts, searched their homes and seized a large cache of explosives, detonators, hand grenades, explosive molds, automatic Kalashnikov machineguns, pistols, ammunition, vehicles and boats used in carrying out terrorist attacks and smuggling operations.

Thirty-six suspects were arrested and referred to the Public Prosecution for questioning. Some of the suspects confessed to the charges.



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.