Saudi FM: We are Not Relying on German Arms Exports

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir speaks at a lecture in Brussels. (SPA)
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir speaks at a lecture in Brussels. (SPA)
TT

Saudi FM: We are Not Relying on German Arms Exports

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir speaks at a lecture in Brussels. (SPA)
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir speaks at a lecture in Brussels. (SPA)

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir questioned on Friday the German government’s decision to bar weapons exports to countries that are involved in the war in Yemen.

He said: “We do not rely on German exports and we therefore do not need their arms.”

“We can get them from some where else,” he told the German news agency (dpa) while on a trip to Brussels.

During recent negotiations to form a coalition government, German parties agreed to stop arms shipments to all countries that are taking part in the war in Yemen.

Jubeir added: “The war in Yemen is legitimate.”

He went on to say that the German government does not discriminate between one state and another when it comes to weapons exports, adding that Berlin refuses to support countries that are waging a legitimate war in Yemen.

Despite the criticism, the Saudi minister underlined the solid ties between Berlin and Riyadh, describing them as “excellent.”

He hoped that a new chapter in relations would be opened after the formation of the new German government.

“We hope they would return to how they were in the past,” said Jubeir.

The minister had earlier met in Brussels with members of the European Parliament and addressed a number of regional issues.

On the crisis with Qatar, he stressed that the four boycotting countries want Doha to return to the Gulf fold. This can be achieved once it stops supporting and financing terrorism.

“Qatar’s real image is different from how the world media is portraying it. It is hiding behind a dark facade that support terrorism,” he stated.

Addressing the Iran, he said that the 2015 nuclear deal it signed with world powers should be amended due to some “shortcomings.”

“The Kingdom supports any agreement that prevents Iran from obtaining nuclear capabilities and that guarantees a steady and solid inspection mechanism and punitive measures in case Tehran does not comply with it. I think this is the position of the administration of US President Donald Trump also,” he said.

“We think the inspection system on the nuclear agreement is weak and should include undeclared military sites. The inspection is limited to declared locations and this is not enough because most of the places associated with its nuclear program were not disclosed by Iran; for example, the site near the Qom City,” he added.

Tackling the Syrian crisis, the Saudi FM said: “We believe in solutions that are based on United Nations Security Council resolution 2254. We believe that there should be a political process and a new constitution for Syria. There must also be new elections."

The solution lies in ending the fighting, restoring stability and allowing humanitarian aid to reach the people.

With regards to human rights and the judicial system in Saudi Arabia, al-Jubeir stressed that all countries must respect the judicial sovereignty of the Kingdom.

“Just as the United States has the death penalty, Saudi Arabia has a judicial system that also includes the death penalty,” he remarked.



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.