Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
TT

Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian

Adrien Silva is recalling when he was banned from playing after a Premier League club tried to sign him, only this episode has nothing to do with Leicester City and the deadline-day saga that ended with an international footballer running round a field to keep fit between talking to lawyers. Silva is rowing back to 2005 instead, when he was 15 and José Mourinho tried to talk him into joining Chelsea along with two other young Sporting Lisbon players.

“It was a very strange moment and I was so young,” Silva says. “To have this club approach me, especially when Mourinho comes to talk to you … at this time, we didn’t know why he came. But when the club wants something, they do everything. He came to see me in Portugal and we went there, to Chelsea, to see the training ground. Then we came back and it was a big, big situation with Sporting.”

Sporting were furious and, as well as making a complaint to Fifa about Chelsea, refused to allow Silva to train and play for them for two months. The other teenagers, Fábio Ferreira and Ricardo Fernandes, joined Chelsea and were both released four years later without playing a game. Silva, however, spoke to his parents and chose a different path, harbouring concerns that Chelsea “wanted to win now and not wait for young players”. That he went on to make 241 appearances for Sporting and become a Portugal international suggests he made the right call. “Thanks to God,” says Silva, smiling.

It is a timely story on the eve of Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Chelsea but all the more so in the context of what happened last year, when Silva faced another enforced absence, after Fifa rejected Leicester’s application to register the midfielder because his £22m move from Sporting had missed the transfer deadline by 14 seconds. Barred from playing until January and initially prevented from training with the Premier League club, Silva spent six weeks living with his agent at the Marriott hotel in Leicester, where they exhausted every avenue, including taking his case to the court of arbitration for sport, to try to overturn a ruling that left him angry and upset.

“I had some injuries in my career but then you know why you don’t play and that’s part of football, so you can accept it,” Silva says. “But this situation wasn’t correct. It wasn’t correct because I was able to play physically and I didn’t do anything wrong to make this situation. I will never understand the decision of Fifa – even after Leicester had tried everything to change it. There is no protection for the players in this situation. The players are the most important, so why don’t [Fifa] think about that and make some exception? OK, if it is so many hours [after the deadline], but we’re talking about seconds here. So I think it was a very poor decision.”

This is Silva’s first national newspaper interview since joining Leicester and one of the things that comes across during an enjoyable hour in his company is that he was just as confused as everyone else when the window closed. Told that the media did not know for a while whether he was a Leicester or a Sporting player, Silva shakes his head, grins and replies: “Me neither.”

Sporting, however, appeared keen to provide some clarity. Within days Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting’s president, said: “The transfer of Adrien is already completed. Hopefully Leicester find a solution for him.” Those comments gave the impression that Sporting were washing their hands of any potential problems and, with that in mind, it is interesting to know whether Silva felt any frustration with how his former club acted. “Not with Sporting. With the president. And that’s different,” Silva says. “He tried, I think, to protect his club. But in football it’s more important when you represent a club to protect the human or the player.”

For all his annoyance with Fifa Silva admits to fearing the worst as soon as the window closed. “But after Leicester and my lawyers told me that we could make an appeal, I got my hopes up and I tried to keep my head right,” he explains. “I trained alone at the gym and on a field to try to keep my physical condition because I wasn’t allowed to train with the team.”

Establishing exactly why he found himself in this position is not easy, other than to say that negotiations were extremely complicated, with Silva making many concessions to Sporting in order to get the deal done. Leicester were committed to completing the transfer come what may and always maintained that the paperwork was uploaded on time, yet Fifa argued otherwise and refused to allow Silva to fast-track his appeal through Cas. So who, ultimately, is responsible? “We still don’t know,” Silva replies. “For me, I think Fifa the most. But I’m not worried about it now.”

There was one thought that troubled him more than any other as the fiasco rumbled on. Silva loves representing his country and was part of the Portugal team that defeated France to win Euro 2016. Suddenly he could see a World Cup on the horizon and his place in the squad in jeopardy. “Every day that was on my mind,” he says. “And that makes it worse. When I think about it, it was the worst moment for this to happen.”

In the end Silva decided he needed to have a joke at his own expense, to keep his spirits up if nothing else. When Leicester asked what shirt number he wanted, it was the perfect opportunity. “I was talking with my agent, Pedro, who was here with me for a month and a half at the hotel, supporting me every day – my wife and children couldn’t come because I didn’t have a home – and I said: ‘We have to play with this situation. Why not No 14?’”

The long-awaited debut, wearing that number, arrived on 1 January – Craig Shakespeare, the manager who signed him, had departed two months earlier – and Silva was given a rapturous reception as he came off the bench. “So many things were going through my mind,” he says. “But the main thought was: just play football. It’s my passion and it’s such a simple thing to do. But that day I felt like I wanted to eat the field!”

Silva breaks into laughter after making that last remark and it feels good to see him in a much happier place. On the pitch, he admits, he is still striving to get to his best but life is coming together in other respects. Margarida, his wife, gave birth to a baby girl last Sunday and four days later Silva celebrated his 29th birthday with a recall to the Portugal squad.

Margarida, Silva says, was a huge support to him throughout her pregnancy – he smiles as he checks that the word “hormonal” is correct in English – and he wants to express his gratitude to the rest of his family as well as a couple of players. “Matty James and Andy King – they helped me in every way. They kept pushing me when some days I was down. So they have been very good friends during those months.”

Sporting thanked Silva for his services by inviting him back to the stadium in October for a special tribute to a player who joined them at the age of 12, when he moved 400km away from his family in a country where he was still learning the language after growing up in France. “All those years came into my mind so it was very emotional,” says Silva, who was in tears on the pitch. “Sporting made me into a player but they also made me into a man, and they will always have a special place in my heart.”

It has obviously been a tough time for Silva and it is hardly surprising to hear him say that the deadline-day mix-up was the worst moment of his career. Yet he also sounds full of positivity as he looks to the future and pictures a perfect finale to the season. “I hope we can get past Chelsea and reach the FA Cup final,” Silva says, smiling. “And to go to the World Cup after, that would be the best way for it to end for me.”

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.