Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
TT

Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian

Adrien Silva is recalling when he was banned from playing after a Premier League club tried to sign him, only this episode has nothing to do with Leicester City and the deadline-day saga that ended with an international footballer running round a field to keep fit between talking to lawyers. Silva is rowing back to 2005 instead, when he was 15 and José Mourinho tried to talk him into joining Chelsea along with two other young Sporting Lisbon players.

“It was a very strange moment and I was so young,” Silva says. “To have this club approach me, especially when Mourinho comes to talk to you … at this time, we didn’t know why he came. But when the club wants something, they do everything. He came to see me in Portugal and we went there, to Chelsea, to see the training ground. Then we came back and it was a big, big situation with Sporting.”

Sporting were furious and, as well as making a complaint to Fifa about Chelsea, refused to allow Silva to train and play for them for two months. The other teenagers, Fábio Ferreira and Ricardo Fernandes, joined Chelsea and were both released four years later without playing a game. Silva, however, spoke to his parents and chose a different path, harbouring concerns that Chelsea “wanted to win now and not wait for young players”. That he went on to make 241 appearances for Sporting and become a Portugal international suggests he made the right call. “Thanks to God,” says Silva, smiling.

It is a timely story on the eve of Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Chelsea but all the more so in the context of what happened last year, when Silva faced another enforced absence, after Fifa rejected Leicester’s application to register the midfielder because his £22m move from Sporting had missed the transfer deadline by 14 seconds. Barred from playing until January and initially prevented from training with the Premier League club, Silva spent six weeks living with his agent at the Marriott hotel in Leicester, where they exhausted every avenue, including taking his case to the court of arbitration for sport, to try to overturn a ruling that left him angry and upset.

“I had some injuries in my career but then you know why you don’t play and that’s part of football, so you can accept it,” Silva says. “But this situation wasn’t correct. It wasn’t correct because I was able to play physically and I didn’t do anything wrong to make this situation. I will never understand the decision of Fifa – even after Leicester had tried everything to change it. There is no protection for the players in this situation. The players are the most important, so why don’t [Fifa] think about that and make some exception? OK, if it is so many hours [after the deadline], but we’re talking about seconds here. So I think it was a very poor decision.”

This is Silva’s first national newspaper interview since joining Leicester and one of the things that comes across during an enjoyable hour in his company is that he was just as confused as everyone else when the window closed. Told that the media did not know for a while whether he was a Leicester or a Sporting player, Silva shakes his head, grins and replies: “Me neither.”

Sporting, however, appeared keen to provide some clarity. Within days Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting’s president, said: “The transfer of Adrien is already completed. Hopefully Leicester find a solution for him.” Those comments gave the impression that Sporting were washing their hands of any potential problems and, with that in mind, it is interesting to know whether Silva felt any frustration with how his former club acted. “Not with Sporting. With the president. And that’s different,” Silva says. “He tried, I think, to protect his club. But in football it’s more important when you represent a club to protect the human or the player.”

For all his annoyance with Fifa Silva admits to fearing the worst as soon as the window closed. “But after Leicester and my lawyers told me that we could make an appeal, I got my hopes up and I tried to keep my head right,” he explains. “I trained alone at the gym and on a field to try to keep my physical condition because I wasn’t allowed to train with the team.”

Establishing exactly why he found himself in this position is not easy, other than to say that negotiations were extremely complicated, with Silva making many concessions to Sporting in order to get the deal done. Leicester were committed to completing the transfer come what may and always maintained that the paperwork was uploaded on time, yet Fifa argued otherwise and refused to allow Silva to fast-track his appeal through Cas. So who, ultimately, is responsible? “We still don’t know,” Silva replies. “For me, I think Fifa the most. But I’m not worried about it now.”

There was one thought that troubled him more than any other as the fiasco rumbled on. Silva loves representing his country and was part of the Portugal team that defeated France to win Euro 2016. Suddenly he could see a World Cup on the horizon and his place in the squad in jeopardy. “Every day that was on my mind,” he says. “And that makes it worse. When I think about it, it was the worst moment for this to happen.”

In the end Silva decided he needed to have a joke at his own expense, to keep his spirits up if nothing else. When Leicester asked what shirt number he wanted, it was the perfect opportunity. “I was talking with my agent, Pedro, who was here with me for a month and a half at the hotel, supporting me every day – my wife and children couldn’t come because I didn’t have a home – and I said: ‘We have to play with this situation. Why not No 14?’”

The long-awaited debut, wearing that number, arrived on 1 January – Craig Shakespeare, the manager who signed him, had departed two months earlier – and Silva was given a rapturous reception as he came off the bench. “So many things were going through my mind,” he says. “But the main thought was: just play football. It’s my passion and it’s such a simple thing to do. But that day I felt like I wanted to eat the field!”

Silva breaks into laughter after making that last remark and it feels good to see him in a much happier place. On the pitch, he admits, he is still striving to get to his best but life is coming together in other respects. Margarida, his wife, gave birth to a baby girl last Sunday and four days later Silva celebrated his 29th birthday with a recall to the Portugal squad.

Margarida, Silva says, was a huge support to him throughout her pregnancy – he smiles as he checks that the word “hormonal” is correct in English – and he wants to express his gratitude to the rest of his family as well as a couple of players. “Matty James and Andy King – they helped me in every way. They kept pushing me when some days I was down. So they have been very good friends during those months.”

Sporting thanked Silva for his services by inviting him back to the stadium in October for a special tribute to a player who joined them at the age of 12, when he moved 400km away from his family in a country where he was still learning the language after growing up in France. “All those years came into my mind so it was very emotional,” says Silva, who was in tears on the pitch. “Sporting made me into a player but they also made me into a man, and they will always have a special place in my heart.”

It has obviously been a tough time for Silva and it is hardly surprising to hear him say that the deadline-day mix-up was the worst moment of his career. Yet he also sounds full of positivity as he looks to the future and pictures a perfect finale to the season. “I hope we can get past Chelsea and reach the FA Cup final,” Silva says, smiling. “And to go to the World Cup after, that would be the best way for it to end for me.”

The Guardian Sport



Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.


Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.