Syria Southern Factions Split After Busra 'Settlement'

A rebel fighter walks past damaged buildings in a rebel-held part of the southern city of Deraa, Syria June 22, 2017. File Photo: Reuters/Alaa Al-Faqir
A rebel fighter walks past damaged buildings in a rebel-held part of the southern city of Deraa, Syria June 22, 2017. File Photo: Reuters/Alaa Al-Faqir
TT

Syria Southern Factions Split After Busra 'Settlement'

A rebel fighter walks past damaged buildings in a rebel-held part of the southern city of Deraa, Syria June 22, 2017. File Photo: Reuters/Alaa Al-Faqir
A rebel fighter walks past damaged buildings in a rebel-held part of the southern city of Deraa, Syria June 22, 2017. File Photo: Reuters/Alaa Al-Faqir

The reconciliation agreement between Damascus and "Shabab al-Sunna" faction headed by Ahmed al-Awdeh in the city of Busra al-Sham, one of the largest cities in the countryside of Daraa, broke out sharply between the opposition factions and the civilian components of the negotiating delegation with the Russian army.

Meanwhile, opposition leaders are trying to secure guarantees from Moscow that opposition civilians will not be pursued as well as arrangements for a crossing point on the border with Jordan.

On Saturday, a meeting of the Syrian government and a Russian general was held in Busra, Syria, in which the general offered nine verbal conditions to the opposition delegation, which included Awdeh and Bashar al-Zoubi, and Adham Akrad and civilian representatives of the opposition’s delegation.

According to information, Russia’s proposed conditions include surrendering medium and heavy arsenal, as well Assad’s forces admission to the “liberated” areas and tackling the management of al-Naseeb border crossing following the faction’s retreat from it.

The terms also provided for the dissident officers and military service escapees’ enrollment after six month, in addition to the status legalization of prosecuted people, following Assad’s forces entry to all the areas controlled by the factions.

The opposition delegation asked for time to consult with its popular base and allies, especially Washington and Amman. Russian army agreed to stop the shelling while continuing to reach settlements and reconciliations in other areas.

Meanwhile, Zoubi rejected the Russian oral offer saying: "Death with honor or life with dignity." However, Awdeh continued negotiations and reached an agreement in Busra al-Sham with 13 articles.

The agreement included handing over heavy weapons as of Sunday, civilians return to the towns where there is no army, and accompanied by the Russian military police and the Red Crescent, people return to areas where the army is located.

In addition, start handing over medium weapons included in ceasefire, distribute settlement points according to the agreed mechanism and hoisting the Syrian flag as state institutions begin to operate.

The agreement also ensures settling conditions of dissidents and those wanted for compulsory military service. It includes the region from Daraa in the west to the town of Samad in the east, and from Busra al-Harir in the north to the borders of Jordan. Russia is the guarantor of this agreement.

On Monday, government forces and the opposition exchanged bodies as part of the agreement.

The agreement did not include a reference to Naseeb crossing now that Free Syrian Army wants a joint administration and negotiated this under the mechanism of the "de-escalation" agreement with the United States, Jordan and Russia; reached at the end of last year.

The number of villages that agreed to the "settlements" reached 13, however, the debate remained on whether other factions would join the Busra-Sham agreement.

In a statement Monday, the civilian half of the opposition’s delegation to talks said they withdrew.

“We did not attend negotiations today. We were not party to any agreement and we never will be,” said the statement, signed by negotiator Adnan Musalima. It accused some actors of trying to secure personal interests through the agreements.

Some figures opposing the idea accused Awdeh of "treason", but Musalima responded in a voice recording, saying that the survival of the people "better than keeping weapons," pointing out that he was trying to get the best agreement to ensure civilians remain in Daraa.

Southern Syrian agreement differs than deals of Ghouta and the countryside of Homs, given that it did not include the displacement of the opposition and their families to the north of Syria, and stipulated that they stay and fight against Khalid Army of ISIS and other factions.

But many residents were worried a deal struck with Russia would only be violated later on, Daraa activist Omar Hariri told Agence France Presse (AFP).

Since the terms did not include mass population transfers to other opposition-held zones like in previous deals, residents feared the regime would abduct or arrest its opponents in "acts of revenge," he said.

"The situation is tough, and the rebels and all opposition entities in Daraa are facing very difficult choices. The noose is getting tighter and tighter," Hariri added.

Political and military opposition figures are trying to improve the terms of negotiations with Russia. A source indicated that the opposition is trying to obtain strong guarantees from the Russians to prevent the prosecution of several figures and keep light and medium weapons with the fighters.

But another source quoted a Russian officer as saying: "The Syrian army will deploy at Naseeb crossing and the border with Jordan and all weapons must be handed over, otherwise the green buses will wait", referring to the possibility of displacing those who reject the agreement to north of Syria.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.