Israel Tells Hamas: Incendiary Kites or War

A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Tells Hamas: Incendiary Kites or War

A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)

Israel has put Hamas before two choices; either putting an end to burning kites sent to Israel or starting a new round of battles that could include occupying Gaza Strip.

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman said Tuesday that Israeli army knows what to do and when to do it, adding that it is ready and prepared for any mission. Lieberman made the statement while visiting a military drill for a possible war on the Strip.

"If we have to launch a military campaign, we will be able to defeat any enemy,” he asserted.

"We will determine the rules of the game, and no one else," he said in response to remarks made by Hamas chief of political office Ismail Haniyeh, who said during Saturday's clashes that resistance factions determine the rules of the game.

The drill, which is to last until Thursday, simulates the capturing of Gaza City by Israeli troops. It sees troops from the armored, infantry, engineering and artillery corps train for a variety of scenarios inside enemy territory including handling the local civilian population.

The maneuvers are dubbed “Gates of Steel”, and a senior Southern Command official told Israel Hayom ‎Monday that most likely Israel will not go into war over incendiary kites and ‎balloons.

"We don't want war. The desired situation is one ‎where we don't have to deal with incendiary kites, ‎balloons and drones, but we gauge our response ‎according to the situation on the ground. We will ‎intensify our response gradually until it all ‎stops," he added.‎

Lieberman’s threats came shortly after he decided to completely close Kerem Shalom crossing, banning fuel imports, and only allowing food and medicine to be sent if each shipment is individually approved.

“In light of the continued terror attempts by the Hamas terrorist organization, Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, in consultation with the chief of staff, has decided to close the Kerem Shalom crossing to imports of oil and gas until this Sunday,” statement published by Lieberman’s office said.

“The crossing will continue to transfer food and medicine [shipments] that are individually approved,” it added.

The new restrictions are added to previous ones imposed by Israel last week, when exports of products from Gaza were suspended and most products were barred from entering the Strip. The army said the closure would continue as long as Palestinians continued to fire kites and balloons at Israel.

A truce sponsored by Egypt last Saturday did not discuss incendiary planes, which have threatened the ceasefire agreement.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would not allow kites to continue under the cease-fire agreement, and Hamas responded that they were not included in the deal.

Late March, Palestinians began using incendiary kites during the Marches of Return, causing the burning of about 30,000 dunams of Israeli farms in the vicinity of Gaza. Israel tried to stop the kites without any success, and then it announced in the latest round of escalation on Saturday, that the cease-fire in Gaza must include the kites or there won’t be one. Israeli officials agreed at a meeting of the Israeli cabinet to target and stop flaming kites any cost.

In an attempt to spare Gaza a new war, Cairo pressed Hamas and gave it days to end or significantly reduce the phenomenon of burning kites and balloons from the Gaza Strip towards the adjacent Israeli areas.

Meanwhile, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth reported Hamas responded and informed the Egyptian intelligence service that it was actually working to reduce the number of burning balloons sent to Israel, but was unable to end it all at once.

A source in the Gaza Strip told the newspaper that Hamas cannot stop sending the flaming balloons, because this will harm its credibility among the people of the Strip and its supporters in general, and therefore it will do so gradually.

Indeed, the number of flaming kites and balloons launched from Gaza has been reduced over the past three days, following the announcement of a truce between Hamas and Israel.

Egypt’s stance also came in line with that of UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov, who warned Hamas of a devastating war because of the kites.

An Egyptian source familiar with the file of Egyptian relations with Palestine and Israel told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israel is trying to test Cairo by closing Kerem Shalom crossing, despite the heavy economic losses it causes to Tel Aviv. He added that Israel wants Egypt to permanently open Rafah crossing.

The source explained that Cairo understands that "the understandings accompanying the ceasefire and truce in the Gaza Strip between Hamas and Israel, is not strong and may not last long."

Over the coming ten days, Egypt will discuss with Fatah movement to get answers on what Hamas suggested during an earlier session of talks with Egyptian intelligence officials. A tripartite meeting is underway that will include representatives of the Islamic Jihad, Fatah, and Hamas.

“Cairo will provide facilities for Gaza Strip, but without putting pressure on the Egyptian decision in any way,” he added.

Hamas warned of "serious consequences" of Israel's recent decisions.

“The Israeli occupation’s closure of the Kerem Shalom crossing and depriving Gaza of the most simple necessities of life is a crime against humanity that will be added to its list of crimes at the expense of the Palestinian people including those living in the Strip,” said Hamas announced in a statement posted on its official website.

These vengeful measures reflect the degree of the oppression and the ugliness of the crime that Gaza is facing, that will have dangerous consequences for which the occupation will bear full responsibility, asserted the statement.

In a similar situation, the Islamic Jihad warned that increasing pressure on Gaza would put the region on the “brink of an explosion”.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.