AFC Draw to Add UAE, Palestine after Mix-up

afc
afc
TT
20

AFC Draw to Add UAE, Palestine after Mix-up

afc
afc

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) conducted a limited re-draw at their headquarters in Kuala Lumpur to include the two sides alongside 24 others taking part in football at the Games, which begin next month.

Agence France Presse quoted AFC secretary-general Windsor John as saying that games organizers failed to pass the names of UAE and Palestine to his body for the initial draw, even though both teams had attempted to register.

John said he was not sure what caused the problem, adding "it could be some computer glitch, it could be some communication breakdown".

He stressed the AFC was not running the competition, and was conducting the draw on behalf of the Olympic Council of Asia and the Indonesian organizing committee.

Eris Herryanto, secretary-general of the Indonesian committee, told AFP the two sides had not properly followed the registration procedures.

"They did something wrong. For example, if they registered one person more than they should have had, that won’t go into the system," he said.

Palestine was placed in Group A with Indonesia, Hong Kong, Laos and Taiwan. The UAE was placed in Group E with South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia and Bahrain.

The Games are being held in Palembang and the capital Jakarta from August 18-September 2.



Tax Evasion Trial for Real Madrid Coach Carlo Ancelotti Opens in Spain

Real Madrid's head coach Carlo Ancelotti (C) arrives to stand trial over alleged tax fraud, in Madrid, Spain, 02 April 2025. EPA/JJ GUILLEN
Real Madrid's head coach Carlo Ancelotti (C) arrives to stand trial over alleged tax fraud, in Madrid, Spain, 02 April 2025. EPA/JJ GUILLEN
TT
20

Tax Evasion Trial for Real Madrid Coach Carlo Ancelotti Opens in Spain

Real Madrid's head coach Carlo Ancelotti (C) arrives to stand trial over alleged tax fraud, in Madrid, Spain, 02 April 2025. EPA/JJ GUILLEN
Real Madrid's head coach Carlo Ancelotti (C) arrives to stand trial over alleged tax fraud, in Madrid, Spain, 02 April 2025. EPA/JJ GUILLEN

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti arrived at a Spanish court Wednesday for the opening of his trial on tax evasion charges.
Spanish prosecutors have accused the highly successful Italian coach of defrauding the state of 1 million euros ($1 million) in 2014 and 2015. State prosecutors are seeking a prison sentence of up to four years and nine months on two counts of tax fraud.
They accused Ancelotti in March 2024 of having used shell companies to hide his true earnings. Prosecutors claimed Ancelotti, for example, used one company that lacked “any real (economic) activity” in the Virgin Islands as part of an alleged scheme.
Ancelotti had denied any wrongdoing before the trial.
He arrived to the Madrid-based courthouse dressed in one of his dark blue suits that he wears while coaching games, The Associated Press reported.
When asked by television journalists if he trusted in the justice system, he responded “I do” as he walked up the courthouse steps.
Ancelotti proclaimed his innocence when first accused last year, arguing he was not a fiscal resident of Spain during part of that time. Prosecutors disagree.
“I already paid the fine, the money is with them, and now the lawyers are talking to try to find a solution,” Ancelotti said in March 2024. “Let’s see what the judge says.”
The 65-year-old Ancelotti is one of soccer’s most successful coaches. He has won the Champions League a record five times, three with Madrid and twice with AC Milan, and is the only coach to have won domestic league titles in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.
He coached Madrid from 2013-15 before starting his current stint in 2021.