Laughter, Long Passes ...and La Liga? Santi Cazorla’s Remarkable Return

 Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
TT

Laughter, Long Passes ...and La Liga? Santi Cazorla’s Remarkable Return

 Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty

At the end of the game, Santi Cazorla pushed down his bright yellow socks, hitched up the right leg of his shorts and took off his plain black boots, leaving them on the pitch at the picturesque little Stade Saint-Michel in Canet-en-Roussillon, south-east France. He still refuses to hang them up. The equaliser came so late that it never went up on the scoreboard among the trees on the bank behind one goal but although that said 1-0, the visitors had not been beaten and nor has he. The former Arsenal midfielder has not made a competitive appearance since 19 October 2016 but at last there is optimism that he will.

After almost two years, 10 operations and a warning that walking round the garden might be all he could aspire to, Cazorla is playing again and he took another step on Wednesday. The 33-year-old departed Arsenal in May, Arsène Wenger having described the injury as “the worst I’ve ever seen” and replying “I hope you’re wrong” when it was suggested the Spaniard might never play again. But Cazorla has now made three pre-season appearances in nine days for La Liga side Villarreal, where he previously played, and they intend to sign him. “I’ll never be able to repay Villarreal everything they’ve done,” he said.

There is still discomfort in the right heel, the stiffness of inactivity making muscles tight too, but it is overwhelmed by playing, at least during the game itself. Last week Cazorla admitted playing even 20 minutes at a reasonable level was “unthinkable”. The night he said so, 636 days after his last appearance, against Ludogorets in the Champions League, he had played half an hour against Hércules – an appropriately named opponent. “It was very special to feel like a footballer again,” he said, and coming back had been some task, his achilles tendon reconstructed, 8cm of it eaten by infection, part of his forearm grafted on to his ankle.

“It’s not a big injury,” Wenger said when he withdrew Cazorla for the last time but the problems multiplied and his Arsenal career ended. The fear existed that his career might have done. He continues to fight that and, while this tiny stadium is a fraction of the size of the Emirates, being here meant a lot.

Cazorla spent much of last season living and working alone in Salamanca. After being released by Arsenal, he trained with Alavés’ youth team before Villarreal called. He joined pre-season in Girona and there is caution, of course, but sessions are completed daily, and there is a game almost every three or four days before the league begins next month.

Hércules was the first game, on 17 July. Three days later he was sent on in the 47th minute against Marseille. Here there were another 30 minutes on a patchy, slightly uneven pitch near Perpignan, the team bus pulling up behind a temporary stand on one side at the home of the French fifth-tier side Canet Roussillon. On the other, a small main stand. At one end, fans gather among the trees on the bank. At the other, pink and white rhododendrons run along a wall, a dozen or so people gathered behind the goal, a small tractor turned forklift truck is parked up in the corner.

A big, imposing fence runs round the pitch, which looks a little out of place in this setting and not entirely necessary either. In total, maybe 400 people come. There is a dog too, standing behind the bench where Cazorla begins the evening giggling his way through the pitch inspection – not good, in truth: dry, uneven and sandy brown in places – and the pre-match kickabout before taking his seat.

Advertising boards announce local companies. A small bar sells chips and wine. At kick-off, a couple of fans shout “Montpellier!” and that is about it until there is a gasp of breath and applause for a wonderful touch. Not from Cazorla but Montpellier’s Isaac Mbenza, who also makes the opening goal. Cazorla is still on the bench but at half-time there he is on the pitch, giggling again. At times it is hard to reconcile his relentless happiness, that smile, with how hard it has been. The brutal reality.

The analyst comes over and slots the chip and transmitter into the vest Cazorla is wearing, his every move tracked, and a few minutes later, he joins five others warming up. After 59 minutes, they are introduced. Cazorla does not run on. He is playing on the near side, high up on the left, although of no fixed position. His first pass is a long diagonal, towards the tractor and the feet of Nicola Sansone. His next accelerates everything, the pass turned sharply inside to Samu Castillejo, intent suddenly imposed on the move. Very Cazorla. He might not always move especially fast but at times the ball does and so do the feet. Both, of course.

Twenty-five times he gets the ball, at a rough tally. He loses it three times, the passes a little overhit. And speaking of losing it, when Montpellier’s No 9, Giovanni Sio, needlessly hits him – hard too – there is a flash of anger, the hint of a flick of the foot. When it happens again, Sio steaming in once more, a confrontation begins. Castillejo piles in, the first to leap to Cazorla’s defence. Others follow; from the two benches, words are exchanged. Only the man hit stands aside, watching it silently by the touchline. Montpellier coach, Michel Der Zakarian, holds out an apologetic hand, and also withdraws Sio.

Cazorla looks a bit bemused and momentarily looks at his ankle but he is fine, so he continues. Another evening, more encouragement. Cautious optimism. “Carry on like this, and …” one member of staff says from the back of the stand.

A clever pass gives Karl Toko Ekambi a chance, one on one, which he puts wide. A shot is blocked on the edge of the area and a volley flies over. Then – get this – Cazorla wins a header, which he is still laughing about later. There is a tackle, too. And a foul – a fairly cynical one, tripping his opponent as he seeks to go round him on the outside.

Time is running out but the equaliser arrives. It would be quite a stretch to say Cazorla starts it – his pass is simple, sideways and deep near halfway, while four more follow before the cross is headed in by Ekambi – but not long ago it would have been a stretch to have even been out there, so it is something. It all is.

At the whistle, Cazorla pulls off his boots, slowly heading towards the tunnel before joining his teammates in a circle on the grass. His captain comes to bump fists. There is a word from the manger, another burst of laughter.

When they stand and make their way, Cazorla stops to pose for photographs with the ball girls, youngsters who play for Canet Roussillon. He gives one his shirt, No 12. Then he signs autographs through the fence. Just doing things footballers do.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."