Watford’s José Holebas: ‘At Bigger Clubs the Mentality Is Different’

 José Holebas won four successive league titles at Olympiakos and initially ‘had to adjust’ at Watford. Photograph: Katherine Anne Rose for the Observer
José Holebas won four successive league titles at Olympiakos and initially ‘had to adjust’ at Watford. Photograph: Katherine Anne Rose for the Observer
TT

Watford’s José Holebas: ‘At Bigger Clubs the Mentality Is Different’

 José Holebas won four successive league titles at Olympiakos and initially ‘had to adjust’ at Watford. Photograph: Katherine Anne Rose for the Observer
José Holebas won four successive league titles at Olympiakos and initially ‘had to adjust’ at Watford. Photograph: Katherine Anne Rose for the Observer

José Holebas is not your average Premier League interviewee and it is easy to feel he does not care about whom he offends – even if it is a Watford teammate, especially if it is a Watford teammate.

The German-born former Greece international was underwhelmed on joining the club from Roma in 2015 and he makes no attempt to hide it. He had enjoyed a successful year in Serie A, finishing as a runner-up, while he previously swept all before him at Olympiakos, winning four league titles and two domestic cups in four seasons.

“I played at bigger clubs and there the mentality is different to here,” Holebas says. “I had to work a lot on myself because everything is totally different. You play for Watford. It’s a good club. We do quite well but I know the bigger levels like Olympiakos and Roma. You play with different players, different quality. We have quality here, as well, but in another way.“I had to adjust my mentality – a lot. To become more forgiving? Yes, when something happened like easy mistakes in the game. That didn’t happen to me when I played at big clubs. They know a little bit better when they can do something or not. It changes your way of football.

“When you bring in good players, it doesn’t mean it will work straight away. The players are as good as your team are. When you come here – a guy who has to be on top – and then you see all these younger guys and they try to build a team … for me, it was really difficult. But the president [Gino Pozzo] is trying to do everything for the club and I think it works now.”

The last line resonates as Watford prepare for Sunday’s home game against Tottenham with three league wins out of three; their opponents also boast a perfect record. But at the same time it is slightly jarring coming from Holebas, a remorselessly demanding competitor who offers the impression that he can never be happy.

He gives this interview at Watford’s training ground and his teammates Daryl Janmaat and Roberto Pereyra wander over to take the mickey. “Has he told you about his goal yet?” Janmaat asks, referring to the intended cross that sailed inside the far post to sink Crystal Palace last Sunday. He and Pereyra listen for a while, nodding and stroking their chins.

Holebas does not smile, which is standard for him, but he does not even acknowledge them. It is a comprehensive blanking. The time spent with him is illuminated by his candour. It is also intense to the point of edgy, pockmarked by abrupt silences.

The 34-year-old left-back has come up the hard way, to put it mildly, and it has shaped him, particularly the leap from having nothing to having everything. He had raw talent as an 18-year-old but was drifting at the foot of Germany’s football pyramid, playing mainly for fun as an amateur, when his life was turned upside down.

Holebas’s girlfriend at the time became pregnant and, faced with having to earn money to support his young family – they would have a daughter – he put his football on the backburner and took a job as a warehouse worker. “You pack the stuff and that’s it,” Holebas says. “Eight hours a day. For everyone who does a job that they don’t love, it’s boring but they have to do it because they have to live.”

He played part-time for SV Damn in Aschaffenburg – his home town near Frankfurt – and they won a series of promotions from what he describes as the “lowest league in Germany, the 10th division”, before he spent a season at Viktoria Kahl in the fifth tier.

Then things got serious. Aged 22 and having in effect missed what must be considered the crucial formative years in the full‑time game, he was offered a deal by 1860 Munich. He had separated from the mother of his daughter but the transfer to Munich would mean him moving 400km from Aschaffenburg as well as everyone and everything he knew.

Holebas quit his job and took the all-or-nothing plunge. It paid off. After beginning in the second team he made his professional debut for the club as a 23-year-old in the Bundesliga’s second division. At 26 he earned his move to Olympiakos.

“I have had to fight every day for everything in my life and the good thing about my work in the warehouse is that I know how it is with and without money,” Holebas says. “I have seen people change towards me, even family members, and it’s all about money. My uncles have asked me for it. I am not your money pocket, I’ve had to say. I am not in contact with a lot of people now and I have to be really careful.“A lot of footballers go bankrupt after their careers because they don’t know how to handle money. It’s risky to give these 18‑ or 19‑year‑olds such crazy amounts and I see how they don’t give the respect to senior players any more. It’s the club’s fault to make them like that but it’s the way, especially in England.”

Holebas does not hold back, either on the field or in conversation. The son of a Greek father and a German‑American mother, it is interesting to hear his view on the Mesut Özil controversy. The Arsenal midfielder, who was born in Germany to parents of a migrant background, cited racism when he announced his retirement from the German national team. Özil was criticised after he was photographed with the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

“They go too far now, these boys, always talking about racism,” Holebas says. “I mean, you are born in Germany and you make a picture with the Turkish president. Something must be behind that but I’m not really into it because I’m not interested in stupid stories like this.”

Watford’s Mr Angry is focused purely on upsetting Spurs.

The Guardian Sport



Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
TT

Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)

Since Hansi Flick arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2024 things have largely gone better than even he might have hoped, at least until the past week.

Revitalizing the Catalan giants and inspiring them to a domestic treble last season, as well as steering them to the final four of the Champions League for the first time in six years was an excellent accomplishment.

The current campaign has been a bumpier ride, in part due to injury problems, but Barca were still going strong until two consecutive defeats sapped morale as the business end of the season approaches.

Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou in La Liga as they aim to get back on track and potentially reclaim top spot from rivals Real Madrid, who visit Osasuna on Saturday.

Los Blancos moved two points ahead of Barca last weekend and stayed there as Flick's side crumbled in a 2-1 defeat at neighbors Girona on Monday.

That was hot on the heels of a 4-0 humiliation by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg, arguably Barca's worst performance since Flick's arrival.

Barca protested officiating mistakes in both games, and although the refereeing technical committee later admitted some fault, it does not absolve the Blaugrana of two worrying displays.

"We are not in a good mood, not in a good moment," admitted Flick.

"I gave the team two days off, because I think it's important that they reset."

The coach said his side, who hope to have playmaker Pedri Gonzalez back in action against Levante after injury, may be tired but also needed to buck up their ideas.

"(Mistakes) could be something to do with if they are tired, not fresh enough... but at the end we have to have the hunger to win the games," said Flick.

"When they come back I want another mentality, another level, they (must) train and play at."

Since Flick arrived Barca have played an ultra-attacking style with a high defensive line, leading to a lot of high-scoring games.

However, with the injuries they have had this season, perhaps partly due to wear-and-tear due to Flick's demands over pressing, they are creating less and finishing more inefficiently.

Both central strikers, Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, are out of form in 2026.

The defense, meanwhile, is as porous as ever and with Pedri missing eight of the last 14 league games, they have struggled for control in midfield.

Flick's recent comments about not adjusting his approach regardless of the opponent Barca face are cause for concern.

"I don't take care if (the opponents) play five at the back or if they have a fast striker. We have the quality and this is what I want to see," said Flick last week, although recent results suggest perhaps he should look to tweak things more reactively.

Against Atletico the pace of wingers Ademola Lookman and Giuliano Simeone helped rip Barca's defense to shreds.

Although Barca are firm favorites against Levante, 19th, the trio of games which follow, leading into the Champions League last 16, are key to stopping the season from spiraling away from them.

They next host high-flying Villarreal, before the Copa semi second leg against Atletico and a tricky visit to the San Mames to play Athletic Bilbao.


Messi Kicks Off MLS Season in Key World Cup Year

Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
TT

Messi Kicks Off MLS Season in Key World Cup Year

Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File

Lionel Messi kicks off a critical season for Major League Soccer this weekend as the rapidly growing US domestic league seeks to cash in on a huge spike in interest from the upcoming World Cup.

Messi -- MLS's undisputed flagship star -- will lace up his boots for a fourth year with Inter Miami, who take on South Korean ace Son Heung-min's Los Angeles FC in Saturday's opener at the 70,000-capacity Memorial Coliseum.

It is a suitably splashy start for a season that will be split in two by the 2026 World Cup, which takes place across the United States, Canada and Mexico this summer.

World Cup host countries typically see boosts in attendance and interest for their domestic leagues, and MLS bosses are determined to keep US eyeballs on the planet's biggest sport long after national teams have returned home.

"This is a massive year for Major League Soccer," said league commissioner Don Garber, describing the season as "a seminal moment for our sport."

The MLS season will this year have a seven-week interruption for the World Cup in June and July.

Five MLS stadiums will host World Cup matches, while many more will be used as training facilities and fan zones.

An increased number of MLS players are expected to play in the World Cup, including Son -- and potentially Messi, though the Argentina great has not yet confirmed he will participate in a record sixth World Cup.

The league plans to use the season's bifurcation to its advantage in order to draw in new fans.

A rumored $15-30 million marketing spend throughout the international tournament will encourage viewers to embrace their local teams, and elevate the US domestic league's increasingly star-studded profile.

The MLS season resumes for its second half in the rest days between the World Cup semi-finals and final. An All-Star Game will quickly follow.

"MLS will be at the center of the soccer universe during the world's largest sporting event, and that creates an extraordinary opportunity for our league, our clubs, and our players," said Garber.

New stars

The decision to start the new MLS season with a game featuring the league's two biggest global stars, at a giant former Olympic stadium in the heart of Los Angeles, is no accident.

Garber is predicting "the largest opening weekend crowd in league history."

While MLS has been heavily dependent on eight-time Ballon d'Or-winner Messi's allure in recent years, the arrival of Son midway through 2025 has been transformative.

Signed by Los Angeles FC for $26.5 million -- reportedly the largest transfer in MLS history -- the 33-year-old's arrival has brought with it the support of thousands of South Koreans living in the United States.

Other marquee names to join MLS sides this year include Minnesota United's James Rodriguez, who penned an extendable six-month contract in a bid to find form before Colombia's World Cup campaign, after a difficult few domestic seasons.

Argentina-born Mexico striker German Berterame has joined Messi at reigning MLS champions Inter Miami, who are co-owned by David Beckham.

And Timo Werner, joining San Jose Earthquakes, becomes the latest German star to ply his trade in a league that already features Thomas Muller at the Vancouver Whitecaps and Marco Reus for Los Angeles Galaxy.

'Best leagues'

MLS is planning another major change that it hopes will entice even more big names.

Beginning July 2027, MLS will change from its current spring-to-fall schedule, to a summer-through-spring rota.

The switch will align MLS with the big European leagues like England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga.

The hope is this will allow US clubs to buy and sell global talent during simultaneous transfer windows, particularly during the summer break.

It would also avoid future clashes with international fixtures and major tournaments.

Garber said the move "reflects exactly where we see MLS going, not just aligning with the best leagues in the world but competing with them."

Critics say it is a gamble, as MLS will soon be directly competing for viewers with the similarly scheduled NFL, NBA and NHL leagues.


Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
TT

Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)

Nottingham Forest's new head ‌coach Vitor Pereira said he had encouraged his players to express themselves at Fenerbahce on Thursday and they responded in style with a 3-0 victory that marked their biggest away win in European competition.

The comfortable win in the first leg of their Europa League knockout round playoff tie in Turkey was the perfect start for Pereira, who took the ‌helm last ‌weekend following the departure of ‌Sean ⁠Dyche.

Goals from Murillo, ⁠Igor Jesus and Morgan Gibbs-White secured the win but the scoreline could have been even more emphatic.

"We had chance to score two more goals. It was a very good result," Portuguese Pereira told TNT Sports, according to Reuters. "It is only ⁠halftime, we need to be consistent, ‌the schedule is ‌tight and difficult."

Pereira is Forest's fourth managerial appointment this ‌season after Nuno Espirito Santo, Ange Postecoglou ‌and Dyche, and the 57-year-old arrives with the side just three points above the Premier League relegation zone.

"Everyone must be ready to help the ‌team. This is what I ask them," said Pereira. "I realized before I ⁠came that ⁠the players have a lot of quality. They need results but they need to enjoy the game.

"If they enjoy the way they are playing they can have a high level. They need organization and confidence. I asked them to express themselves on the pitch. They did it."

Forest host Liverpool in the league on Sunday before Fenerbahce arrive for the second leg of their Europa League tie on February 26.