Sol Bamba: ‘the Gaffer Always Reminds Me Not to Be Beckenbauer’

 Sol Bamba, after a career that has included spells in France, Italy and Turkey, wants to finish his career at Cardiff. Photograph: Gareth Phillips/Guardian
Sol Bamba, after a career that has included spells in France, Italy and Turkey, wants to finish his career at Cardiff. Photograph: Gareth Phillips/Guardian
TT

Sol Bamba: ‘the Gaffer Always Reminds Me Not to Be Beckenbauer’

 Sol Bamba, after a career that has included spells in France, Italy and Turkey, wants to finish his career at Cardiff. Photograph: Gareth Phillips/Guardian
Sol Bamba, after a career that has included spells in France, Italy and Turkey, wants to finish his career at Cardiff. Photograph: Gareth Phillips/Guardian

Sol Bamba knows what the message will be from Neil Warnock as he leaves Cardiff’s home dressing room on Sunday. “Before we go out, the gaffer always reminds me and says: ‘Don’t be Beckenbauer. Just kick or head it. When it’s on, pass it, but if it’s not on, just put it up there.’ And that’s why I like him – he’s honest.”

Bamba, by his own admission, has not always been an easy player to manage, particularly in his early days at Paris Saint-Germain, where an Argentinian centre-back by the name of Mauricio Pochettino tried to take him under his wing, but there is something about Warnock that gets the best out of him. Told that Cardiff’s manager thinks the world of him, Bamba chuckles but sounds sincere when he replies: “I think the world of him as well.”

All in all, it has not been a bad couple of years since the two got together. Warnock celebrated the eighth promotion of his managerial career in May, when Cardiff returned to the Premier League, and Bamba, who had been without a club when Warnock brought him to Wales in October 2016, was named in the Championship team of the year.

Yet as good as they have been for one another, and as well as they get on, arguably the first thing that comes to mind for most people when they think of Bamba and Warnock is that fracas on the touchline at Portman Road, when the Ivorian was sent off and ended up shoving his manager after raging at the fourth official.

Bamba, who comes across as a likable character, cringes. “That was bad,” he says, shaking his head. “Especially when I got home ... when the kids went to school everyone was talking about it. I was embarrassed because you tell your kids to be a certain way and then they see you doing that. It’s probably one of my biggest regrets.”

At least he has made up for it since. He has been a rock at the back for Cardiff, so much so that Warnock claimed in December that Bamba was a better defender than Virgil van Dijk. “I heard that one,” Bamba says, smiling. “We know the gaffer. That’s what he’s like. I said to him when he said it, which was just before a game: ‘You’ve put me in trouble now.’”

Listening to Bamba for more than an hour, on the record and then for a long time afterwards when he expresses an interest in working in journalism once he retires, it is easy to see why the 33-year-old is so popular. Gregarious and candid with his thoughts, he is happy to chat about anything and everything.

“I love defending. Absolutely love it,” Bamba says. “When I go into a game I set myself a target: I don’t want to lose a header anywhere on the pitch. Sometimes I see defenders and I ask myself: ‘Does he actually like defending?’ But I love going into a tackle, winning a challenge or a header. That’s why it’s good here because the fans appreciate that. In France or in Italy, when you do a good defensive tackle, they’re not bothered. But here they like that and that makes me want to defend even more.”

France and Italy are two of the six countries where Bamba has played club football during a nomadic career that started with PSG. Born in France to Ivorian parents, he took up a residential place at PSG’s academy at the age of 11, against the better judgment of his mother, who wanted her son to become a doctor. It was several years later, and after he had been converted from a deep‑lying midfielder, that Bamba crossed paths with Pochettino.

“I first trained with the first team when I was 16 and he was there,” Bamba says. “He was a centre-half and he was good to me. He gave me good advice, how to position myself and how to defend. Because I used to tackle a lot [by going to ground] and he used to try to encourage me to be better by saying: ‘Try to stay on your feet.’”

Bamba made two appearances for PSG before going on to play for Dunfermline and Hibernian and, looking back, accepts that he was too headstrong at times in France. “Instead of speaking to the manager with respect, I’d go in shouting, sometimes swearing,” he says. “I realised when I moved that my behaviour wasn’t right.”

After that stint in Scotland, Bamba joined Leicester before signing for Trabzonspor in Turkey and then Palermo. In a sign of his growing maturity, he decided in Turkey and Italy that he wanted to find a language school that could work around his training regime, despite being under no pressure to do so by his clubs. All of which means Bamba can speak Turkish, Italian, English, French and the Ivorian dialect that his father used at home.

His Italian would have been handy when he was at Leeds, where Bamba had regular conversations with Massimo Cellino and publicly aired his frustration with the way things were being run . “I said to the owner before I said that [to the media], that I didn’t think he was doing the right thing,” Bamba says. “He used to call me and even came to my house a few times. I said to him: ‘It’s coming from you. We’re looking up to you and if we see you not doing the right thing, we’re not going to respond.’

“At the time I didn’t feel as though I had much to lose because I was on loan from Palermo, so I was probably the only one free to do it.”

Although Bamba later joined Leeds permanently, he left as a free agent in September 2016 and moved to Cardiff the following month, when Warnock finally signed a player he had been pursuing for four years. Cardiff were in relegation trouble at the time and Bamba could sense the desperation among the fans.

“The troubles they had with the owners and everything that happened over the years, they were dying for something good to happen, like a team to give them some pride back – a team that would fight for everything. For the last two years they’ve had that.”

It is a measure of how happy Bamba feels at Cardiff that he talks about finishing his career at the club – and hopefully in the Premier League. Despite Cardiff spending relatively conservatively in the summer, Bamba takes encouragement from back-to-back clean sheets and something money cannot buy.

“What the gaffer did is repay what we did for him, if I can put it like that, because we went up as an entire group and he wanted to keep it like that,” he says. “We needed to add one or two and that’s what we did. But the team spirit and togetherness is already there, he didn’t want to break that and that’s going to take us a long way”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.