Wolves’ Rúben Neves, Diogo Jota Don't Regret Leaving Porto

 Diogo Jota, left, and Rúben Neves outside a Portuguese cafe in Wolverhampton. They joined from Atlético Madrid and Porto respectively last season. Photograph: Andrew Fox/Guardian
Diogo Jota, left, and Rúben Neves outside a Portuguese cafe in Wolverhampton. They joined from Atlético Madrid and Porto respectively last season. Photograph: Andrew Fox/Guardian
TT

Wolves’ Rúben Neves, Diogo Jota Don't Regret Leaving Porto

 Diogo Jota, left, and Rúben Neves outside a Portuguese cafe in Wolverhampton. They joined from Atlético Madrid and Porto respectively last season. Photograph: Andrew Fox/Guardian
Diogo Jota, left, and Rúben Neves outside a Portuguese cafe in Wolverhampton. They joined from Atlético Madrid and Porto respectively last season. Photograph: Andrew Fox/Guardian

It is Tuesday afternoon in Wolverhampton city center and Monica Lopes, the owner of Aromas de Portugal, has just welcomed a couple of regular customers into her coffee shop on King Street. Well, regular in one sense but not in another given it is Rúben Neves and Diogo Jota who are sitting in front of a plate of delicious Portuguese custard tarts – pastéis de nata – talking about cricket.

That the pair managed to arrive unnoticed is an achievement in itself. “Last time [Monica] closed the door and we had to go upstairs,” Jota says, smiling. “There’s a pub right outside, so if someone sees us, takes a picture and goes there, he’ll show the picture and then the other people come to ask for an autograph or a photo. So they don’t come for a coffee but to take a picture and of course that’s not the point.”

For Jota and Neves, who joined Wolves in July last year after playing together at Porto, this little corner of the Black Country feels like home away from home. Hélder Costa, another member of the sizeable Portuguese contingent at the club, is credited with discovering the place, which opened 13 months ago. Monica, who is from Porto, could not have timed things better in that respect, although she has no interest in football and was oblivious to the fact a number of her customers were household names and worth millions of pounds until she saw her boyfriend talking to them and asked how he knew them.

These days she is on much more familiar terms. There is a signed Wolves shirt behind the counter – the backroom staff who work with Nuno Espírito Santo, the club’s Portuguese manager, handed it over – and the players pop by at all times of the day, often with their partners. “We came here three weeks ago [in the evening] to eat francesinha,” says Jota, referring to Porto’s traditional doorstep sandwich, which is layered with pork and sausage and topped off with steak. “It’s all about the sauce,” adds Neves, sounding more like a sous chef than a deep-lying playmaker. “Because inside the bread is always the same, so it’s the sauce that makes the difference.”

Neves and Jota, who got to know each other playing for Portugal’s Under-21s, are terrific company. Humble and affable, they speak with such maturity it is easy to forget they are 21 years old. At times they are like a married couple as they finish off one another’s sentences, no more so than when the conversation turns to the slightly awkward question of how they compare Wolverhampton with Porto.

“It’s not possible to compare, it’s completely different,” Neves says, diplomatically. “In Porto it’s a tourist city. It’s close to the river, the ocean as well, there’s a lot of history. And here it’s an industrial city. But we’re fine with it. We want to play football … in the best league in the world, so the city doesn’t matter,” Jota adds. “And we have a good home and our family with us,” continues Neves.

There is a quiet sense of vindication about how things have turned out at Wolves, bearing in mind the questions asked when they swapped the glamour of the Champions League for the grind of the Championship last season. “We had to take the risk to come here,” says Jota, who initially joined on loan from Atlético Madrid. “Sometimes when you want to achieve something, you have to take a risk. And at that time it was the best thing to do. We came here, we saw the project of the club, we saw the players they bought, so we put our minds in the Championship, focused on [getting to] the Premier League and did our work. In the beginning a lot of people criticised us, including in Portugal. They said: ‘You are a great player, and you go there now?’ But now I think everyone understands we were right.”

The overriding impression is that Neves and Jota could not be happier. Jota talks about how much more comfortable he is off the field in Wolverhampton than in Porto, where the level of attention was suffocating at times, and both remark on how refreshing it is to be in a league where the ball is in play a lot more. “Time-wasting is one of the worst things we have in Portugal,” Jota says, sighing. “For example, when we played against Manchester City we still wanted to play when we had Jonny injured. But in Portugal, you’ll get a lot of players ‘injured’.”

That there are so many Portuguese players at Wolves – seven in the first-team squad – has been a huge help when it comes to adapting to England. “It’s now like our family,” says Neves, who explains how they all get together whenever anyone has a birthday. “Sometimes we feel like we are in Portugal when we have dinner together. I had my daughter’s first birthday [last month], I brought my family and my fiancee’s family from Portugal, and with all the Portuguese players as well there were 30 people.”

The follow-up question prompts Neves and Jota to react with laughter and a sense of incredulity. Given that their manager is also Portuguese, does he ever get invited to the birthday dinners? “Nooooooooo!” the two respond in unison, looking flabbergasted. “You can’t cross that line,” Jota says, smiling.

Their level of respect for Nuno, who also managed them at Porto, shines through when they talk about him. “He’s a really intense and ambitious coach,” Neves says. “I think the most important thing is the motivation – he’s always motivated to do his best all the time. Even when we’re playing good, he wants us to play better. I think this makes the difference with him.”

There is also some fun to go alongside all the hard work at Wolves. During downtime at the training ground, the Portuguese players take each other on at head-tennis while the English-speaking members of the squad play cricket in the gym. Asked whether they ever swap, Neves replies: “Yeah, now we play cricket as well. It’s funny, we didn’t know the game before. We’d never seen it. We didn’t know the rules. Now we understand it a little bit. I’m better at bowling.” Jota laughs and adds: “I’m bad at everything. But I try to bat and to catch the ball. I can’t throw that way [with a straight arm] – I throw like it’s baseball. But I like to go there and mess with them.”

Everything comes a lot more easily with a ball at their feet. Neves has caught the eye this season with his wonderful range of passing, and it feels a matter of time before Jota, Wolves’ top scorer last season, opens his Premier League account. “We want to make ourselves look good in the best league in the world,” Jota says. “When it was our first game, against Everton, I was very emotional, because it really means something for me. When I came on to the field, I thought: ‘I’m here’.”

Saturday’s visit to Old Trafford promises to be another special occasion, especially with José Mourinho in the opposite dugout. Neves, who grew up supporting Porto, can vividly remember their 2004 Champions League triumph under Mourinho, even though he was only seven. “I watched the final with my family,” he says. “We went into Porto to celebrate because all my family are fans. Mourinho is a legend at Porto.”

Rather surprisingly neither Neves nor Jota has spoken to Mourinho, despite plenty of common ground, including when it comes to their agent. Jorge Mendes represents all three and it is interesting listening to Jota’s response when asked how important Mendes is from a player perspective.

“He’s like my right arm,” Jota says. “I think from a player’s point of view, you feel you are with the best at his job. I feel there is no one better than him to manage my career, so I have nothing to worry about – just to do my job on the field. When you speak with him, he’s really ambitious and he says you can always do more. He’s very confident and believes in you more than you do yourself sometimes.”

Monica could probably do with Mendes’s help, too, because sadly Aromas de Portugal is on the market. Monica’s father is ill and the family have asked her to return home, meaning she is trying to find a new owner. All the catering equipment is included in the price and the same goes for a distinguished list of regular customers, provided the place remains in Portuguese hands. “We hope it does,” says Neves. “We have alternatives. But the best place for us is here.”

(The Guardian)



Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.


Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.