Nuno EspíRito Santo: 'We Cannot Build a Gameplan Based on a Draw … Always to Win'

 Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
TT

Nuno EspíRito Santo: 'We Cannot Build a Gameplan Based on a Draw … Always to Win'

 Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images

Nuno Espírito Santo has an embarrassing story to get off his chest. The Wolverhampton Wanderers manager has been explaining why he tends to look the other way if one of his young players arrives at training in a flashy car or spends £500 on a pair of trainers. Instead of throwing his weight around, he prefers to act on instinct and take his cue from performances on the pitch. “It is not [my] money,” Nuno says. “What gives you the authority to decide?”

Anyway, he was young once and he has made mistakes. How about the time, for instance, when he bought a plot of land overlooking Santuário da Penha, a famous church in Guimarães? The Portuguese calls it an extravagance but he was going to build his dream home at the top of the highest hill in the city. All Nuno needed was permission from the council before pressing ahead with his plan. He looks back now and admits he probably should have asked the question before finalising the purchase.

“When I did, they said ‘no’,” he says. “Afterwards I went again and asked: ‘Can I build?’ And they said: ‘No, the area is protected.’ It comes up for application every 15 years when they allow some development. But they told me: ‘This area here? Forget about it. You cannot build there.’ I should have checked it out.

“But it was in 2002 and I was 27. It was perfect. We sometimes go and just sit there. The views are fantastic. But building? No, they don’t allow it. Because it’s over 200 metres they won’t allow it.”

Nuno is sitting with a group of reporters at Wolves’ training ground and he asks whether anyone fancies buying the land. He has his audience in the palm of his hand, mainly because sharing that anecdote has revealed a self-deprecating streak. It is believable when the former goalkeeper says he is strict but not overbearing.

He is professional and composed but he does not take himself too seriously. He is not the type to have informers tracking his players in Wolverhampton. “They have Instagram,” Nuno says. “They are so proud of showing themselves and the bullshit they are doing that you don’t have to chase them.”It is another witty line. Nuno has found happiness since arriving at Wolves in the summer of 2017 and helping them to steamroller the Championship last season. The former Porto, Rio Ave and Valencia manager insists he has no plans to leave Molineux – with the backing of the club’s Chinese owners, there is a belief that Wolves can challenge the Premier League elite – and he talks about his determination to build an identity that runs through the entire club.

Nuno, part of José Mourinho’s trophy-winning squad at Porto from 2002 to 2004, has an eye for group dynamics. He has created a culture where everyone greets each other in the morning. Perhaps it comes from his upbringing on the island of Príncipe. “I grew up with no shoes because my house was there and the beach was there,” he says. “There were no cars and we played. It was paradise.”

Wolves have set a Premier League record by playing the same starting XI in their first eight games, which is why Nuno paid tribute to the club’s medical staff after being named September’s manager of the month. “I hope I win it again,” he says. “That time it will be for the guys from the kitchen. Everybody is important. If you don’t have a kit-man then you are ruined.

“I give an example. Wolverhampton, January, a training session at 10am. It’s minus-five degrees. A player comes in a bad humour and it’s because the kit-man hasn’t given him his hat and gloves. We have a problem. You have to have a good support staff. If a player has had a bad night, the first person he will share his mood with is the physio. If you have someone in that role who is supportive, that’s the first message.”

What about the player who moans because of the weather? “It doesn’t happen,” Nuno says. “Because I have already talked to the kit-man. I say: ‘Whatever they want, if it makes sense give it to them.’ Instead of trying to solve things by punishments, we change the environment so the player gets educated. Another example. One player comes to training late, so you wait for him. Instead of fining him £1000, we say: ‘What happened in your life that made us have to wait for you to start working?’”

When the interview finishes, Nuno pulls out a couple of empty notepads and says he was hoping to sketch out a few tactical formations. For 75 minutes, though, the conversation has focused on his leadership qualities. Nuno loves talking about football but it is difficult not to feel that his views on life inform his attacking approach.

Some teams try to sit back after promotion to the Premier League. Yet Wolves have sparkled in their 3-4-3 system and occupy seventh place. They held Manchester United at Old Trafford last month and earned plaudits for refusing to be cowed when they drew 1-1 with Manchester City in August.

Most managers simply hope for the best against Pep Guardiola’s champions. Not Nuno, though. “We never play like that,” he says. “We will never play like that. It doesn’t make sense. How can you build a gameplan based on just drawing? You have a corner, you get one goal, you are losing, you lose your gameplan.

“The players look and say ‘now what?’

“What you have to become is really strong in what you do. That’s the point of building a team. You don’t know any other way – it would be absurd to do it any other way.”

It has been suggested that Rafael Benítez’s Newcastle United side have been very defensive against the big sides. “No comment at all,” Nuno says. “I am speaking about myself. We cannot build a gameplan built on a draw. Everything can change so fast. You have to prepare to win. How? Every last ball we can win. That’s the gameplan. Always to win.

“The way you analyse? How they build? What they like? They want to play on the outside, so let’s make them play on the inside. You take routines away from the other team. Your gameplan is to recover the ball here because you want to go there. We don’t do gameplans to draw.”

Nuno suggests that former footballers are more qualified to comment on tactics. But he also knows that some people are after attention. “Sometimes a polemic tweeter is more important than a normal view,” he says.

“You know how things move. What sells more, criticism or compliments? What do people like more? They enjoy blood. You? If you have to write ‘oh, they were very good’ or do you want to tear into them? You know what I mean.”

Does he enjoy blood? “No,” Nuno says. “I live in peace.”

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.