Istanbul Summit Stresses Importance of Political Solution in Syria

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Emmanuel Macron pose for photographers at Vahdettin Mansion in Istanbul on October 27, 2018. (AFP)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Emmanuel Macron pose for photographers at Vahdettin Mansion in Istanbul on October 27, 2018. (AFP)
TT

Istanbul Summit Stresses Importance of Political Solution in Syria

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Emmanuel Macron pose for photographers at Vahdettin Mansion in Istanbul on October 27, 2018. (AFP)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Emmanuel Macron pose for photographers at Vahdettin Mansion in Istanbul on October 27, 2018. (AFP)

The Istanbul quartet stressed the need to continue on all tracks of the political solution, eliminate terrorism in Syria and ensure the voluntary return of refugees under the auspices of the United Nations.

Following the Syria summit, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan along with Russian President Vladimir Putin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron held a joint news conference calling on the international community to work hand in hand for a sustainable solution in Syria.

President Erdogan said "our aim is to reach a complete cease-fire to halt bloodshed," adding that the four nations agreed to increase cooperation among themselves and at the international level on the issue.

"We have discussed a political solution in line with Syrian people's legitimate demands which moves to reach stability in the country," Erdogan told reporters.

He said that the participants in the summit stressed the importance of continuing Geneva talks to resolve the crisis in Syria, adding that the implementation of the Sochi agreement for Idlib was confirmed in preparation for a permanent solution to the Syrian crisis.

On Turkey’s effort to eliminate terrorists along its borders in northern Syria, Erdogan repeated Ankara’s determination for a possible counter-terror operation in east of the Euphrates River.

“We will continue to eliminate threats to national security in the east of Euphrates as well as in its west in Syria,” he said.

The leaders agreed on the importance of eliminating all terrorist organizations in Syria and calling on the international community to help the Syrians and prevent new waves of asylum.

With regard to the return of the Syrian refugees, Turkish President noted that his country had already spent $33 billion in helping Syrians. The Turkish leader also stressed that the return of Syrians to their homeland should be voluntary and that the UN is needed to coordinate this process.

Turkey’s President called on other nations to increase support for refugees as he declared the “people of Syria will determine the future of Bashar al-Assad”.

For his part, Putin told the news conference that a settlement in Syria cannot be reached without consultations that include Syria and "our Iranian partners.”

Asked about the possibilities of a second summit of the four countries, Putin said the countries have "not negotiated this yet, but everything is possible."

“We proposed to our partners that Russia’s initiative to convene an international conference on Syrian refugees be supported. We are aware of everything related to this, we are aware of the problems, but unless we join efforts, we won’t achieve any results," Putin said.

Putin pointed out that the talks focused on humanitarian aid to the Syrian people and on assistance in the return of refugees to the country.

"Russia spares no effort in this area, but in order to drastically improve the situation in the country, to handle acute social problems and to revive the economy, the world’s collective efforts are needed," he asserted.

Macron said that the Istanbul summit is a continuation of Astana. He stressed the need to unite the various tracks of Syria and cooperate in the fight against terrorism and ensure access of aid to those in need.

“The constitutional committee needs to be established, and should hold its first meeting by the end of the year. This is what we all want," he said, adding that” creating it will become a part of the political settlement in Syria."

"It needs to be formed in order to prepare transparent elections monitored by the international community," the French leader noted.

He praised Turkey's role in taking in the Syrian refugees and the sacrifices Ankara had done on the material and humanitarian levels of hosting them. He stressed the need to ensure the security of refugees wishing to return to their homeland.

Macron underscored the importance of the ceasefire: "We will all be extremely vigilant to ensure that these commitments are met and that the ceasefire is stable and sustainable," he told reporters.

In turn, the German Chancellor stressed the need for a political process to end the conflict under the auspices of the United Nations, with the ultimate goal of free elections.

"At the end of this political process, there must be free elections to which all Syrians have access — including the diaspora," Merkel told the conference.

She indicated that Sochi deal for Idlib was a successful agreement to prevent a new wave of refugees, while lauding the role of UN Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura.

In response to a question on the drafting committee of the constitution and whether the Syrian regime will participate, Russian President asserted that the ongoing process includes the Syrian government and the opposition.

Prior to the four-way meeting, Erdogan held a series of bilateral meetings, where he met Putin, Merkel and Macron separately.

The 45 minutes meeting between Erdogan and Putin discussed the relations between the two countries, especially in the field of energy as well as the Syrian file.

On July 29, Erdogan called for the summit against the background of rising tensions in Idlib and growing fears of a humanitarian tragedy after the Syrian regime and its supporters mobilized military forces on its outskirts.

Turkey has stepped its diplomatic efforts to avert a new wave of displaced people from Idlib, which includes some 4 million civilians, until Sochi agreement was reached with Russia on September 17. Ankara confirmed that the quartet summit will continue to promote Idlib agreement and coordinate efforts to push for a final political solution to the crisis.

France has repeatedly stressed that the cease-fire in Idlib was "fragile" and needed to be strengthened, and considered the summit an "opportunity" to support the formation of a constitution drafting committee in Syria.

Meanwhile, convey of reinforcements have reached the border province of Kilis including artillery and military vehicles, headed from the center of the state to various military units stationed on the Syrian border.

These reinforcements, according to information obtained by the Anadolu Agency correspondent, aim to strengthen the capabilities of the military units stationed at the border.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.