The White Hart Lane Club Ready for Action: Haringey Living FA Cup Dream

Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
TT

The White Hart Lane Club Ready for Action: Haringey Living FA Cup Dream

Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)

Half an hour before he walks across the car park to oversee training, Tom Loizou is selling tickets behind the bar at Coles Park. A local couple have strolled into, rather than past, Haringey Borough’s facilities for the first time and the scene has become a familiar one: an enthusiastic welcome, an expression of mild regret on the newcomers’ part that they have not stopped by before, the purchase of two places at Friday’s FA Cup first-round match against AFC Wimbledon and a parting promise that they will be back for a league fixture with their nine-year-old son.

Until recently this was a forgotten and unloved outpost of north London’s football scene, but the Bostik Premier League club will be more relevant than ever when a crowd of around 2,500 packs in for an event that will also be televised by the BBC. One of the tie’s selling points to the curious is its location: Haringey’s ground is situated on White Hart Lane and, yes, they will be ready to host the game as scheduled. The new Spurs stadium is just under a mile away, on Tottenham High Road; it will take center stage soon enough but for now Haringey intend to show they can offer something different.

While their Premier League neighbors’ arena towers above the surrounding area, Loizou and his chairman, Aki Achillea, see no reason to be in its shadow. Haringey is one of London’s most deprived boroughs and is an area of stark, often deeply troubling social contrast. Until earlier this decade the club was in no fit state to make any difference but, staffed by a tiny group of volunteers and, in Loizou, a full-time manager whose role covers anything from team selection to stadium repairs, it has been transformed. This is now a place the local community can call home and one where the many who cannot afford to pay for the privilege of live football can watch it for free.

“We wanted to engage people in the area and let them see what we are doing here rather than just driving past the gates,” says Achillea, a lawyer who was asked in 1995 to help settle some issues with the club’s lease and who, it turned out, would never leave. When Achillea arrived, Haringey were playing to attendances of 20 or 30. For two decades that never really changed and, while the team bobbed around on a quagmire of a home pitch, they found the funds to stay alive only when Achillea persuaded a local market to operate on their premises every Sunday. But the arrival of Loizou nine years ago sparked an upturn in fortunes and in 2016 Achillea decided to throw open the doors: Haringey would make season tickets for league games available for nothing.

“We installed our new 3G pitch in 2016 and had a superb facility but nobody to see it,” he says. “I wanted to create an atmosphere for our players as well. It’s heartwarming for them to play in front of people who sing songs, clap and cheer.”

League attendances this season have averaged around 270. Promotion to the Bostik Premier, England’s seventh tier, in 2017-18, kept the good feeling going and the scenes were delirious last month when Poole Town were beaten 2-1 in the fourth qualifying round to put Haringey in the competition proper for the first time.

“Everybody said to me: ‘You’re mad taking the job, there’s nothing there,’” Loizou says. “But I’ve come in here and been able to build my own environment, with people I know and trust. When we beat Poole the chairman was running up and down like a little kid. Coming out of the hat first and getting Wimbledon in the draw was just perfect. We were fighting a losing battle a few years ago but it’s turning around.”

Loizou presides over a squad of, to use his words, “rough diamonds” in which speed and power are prerequisites. Joel Nouble, brother of the Colchester forward Frank, got the goal that qualified them to face AFC Wimbledon and there is a sprinkling of experience, too, in Derek Asamoah, who scored for Carlisle in a League Cup tie at Anfield.

“I joke with some of the guys and say I was here when we had a grass pitch, no nets in the goals, and you had to walk across the car park to get changed,” says Rakim Richards, a long-serving center-back whom Loizou plucked from local Sunday football. “We’ve built from nothing, and look where we are now.”

Richards works as a community coach at Tottenham and the hope at Haringey is that the relationship between the clubs, traditionally courteous but muted, will become more formal. The Premier League club have expressed an interest in promoting Haringey’s games and Achillea would love to see Spurs’ upwardly mobile women’s team playing at Coles Park. Haringey are on the verge of being self-financing, the 3G pitch a godsend in raising funds from other teams and organizations that wish to use it. The ultimate aim is to go full-time and play at National League level; the Cup run will do them little harm in pursuing that goal and Loizou believes they can give AFC Wimbledon’s famous old giant-killers a taste of their own medicine.

“There’s a glimmer of hope,” he says. “They’re four levels above us, we stand no chance according to most people and I understand that. But if we win it we’ve pushed the boundaries; I’ve had no sleep since the draw and I don’t know what’ll happen if we beat them.”

Presumably a few more interested residents might drop in and, if they are lucky, hear a compelling sales pitch from the manager himself. “Sometimes you walk into a non-league club and it’s like you’re being watched or there’s a grey cloud over it,” says Loizou. “You come in here and all you see is smiles.” Haringey ultimately lost 0-1 to Wimbledon on Friday.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."