Jadon Sancho's Stock Rises Higher and Higher After a Derby to Remember

 Jadon Sancho points to the sky after scoring at the end of a week in which his grandmother died. Photograph: Sascha Steinbach/EPA
Jadon Sancho points to the sky after scoring at the end of a week in which his grandmother died. Photograph: Sascha Steinbach/EPA
TT

Jadon Sancho's Stock Rises Higher and Higher After a Derby to Remember

 Jadon Sancho points to the sky after scoring at the end of a week in which his grandmother died. Photograph: Sascha Steinbach/EPA
Jadon Sancho points to the sky after scoring at the end of a week in which his grandmother died. Photograph: Sascha Steinbach/EPA

It was dark when Borussia Dortmund’s bus arrived back at the club’s training ground in Brackel but it couldn’t get in. It was blocked by several hundred supporters, chanting and lighting the winter night with pyro. A couple of the players, Axel Witsel and Achraf Hakimi, got off the coach and joined them.

This may already be shaping up to be a special season for Dortmund but if you wondered what this dream start – unbeaten in the Bundesliga, soaring above champions Bayern Munich having beaten them in Der Klassiker last month, through to the Champions League last 16 – was missing, then here was the answer. They had entered Saturday afternoon’s match already 19 points clear of rivals Schalke but winning the Revierderby, whenever, however, always means so much.

Dortmund had been winless in their last five meetings against the old enemy – their last derby victory came in November 2015 – and it was an itch that badly needed scratching, as Mario Götze admitted in the week leading up to the game. Götze’s only goal in the fixture, in November last year, had been blemished by the small matter of his team frittering away a 4-0 half-time lead to draw. So even in these circumstances, no chickens were being counted at Westfalen.

Eventually, it fell to a player in his first Revierderby to decide it – and in trying circumstances. Jadon Sancho missed training sessions last week to fly to London after his grandmother’s death – and missing training at Dortmund almost always means being left out of the XI. He was offered the option of sitting out after his return on Friday night, “but he really wanted to play,” said coach Lucien Favre. He rose to the occasion and then some, responding after Daniel Caligiuri’s unexpected second-half equaliser by picking the ball up on the left, playing a one-two with substitute Raphaël Guerreiro and taking his time before expertly tucking the winner past Ralf Fährmann into the far corner.

In the words of sporting director Michael Zorc, it was part of “an exceptional performance” by the English teenager, especially when set against the background of a tough few days. After the ball hit the net, Sancho raised his arms to the sky, index fingers pointed, before being comforted by his waiting teammates. Their estimation of him is clear. “I’ve got great respect for his strong mentality,” said skipper Marco Reus. “It’s a big compliment to him that he continued to train, to be focused – and that he managed to smile.”

Throughout Sancho was willing and available, happy to take on possession in the sort of closed, tight situations that characterise a derby. The only irony after he tormented left-back Bastian Oczipka – who looked all at sea and spent much of the game treading on eggshells after a yellow card for fouling the England winger – was that Sancho should pop up on the opposite side for his goal.

He also exhibited the imagination that Schalke lacked, despite considerable investment in their midfield with Sebastian Rudy, Suat Serdar and Omar Mascarell all joining. As Kicker’s Toni Lieto put it: “The Revierderby has made it clear to everyone; in the league, Schalke are only partially competitive.” After 14 games they’re going along at a point per game and their 15 goals include four penalties after Caligiuri’s successful spot kick.

Shorn of fit attackers, with Mark Uth and Breel Embolo out again, Domenico Tedesco picked midfielder Weston McKennie alongside Guido Burgstaller but it didn’t work, even before the latter also had to withdraw through injury. If Tedesco had tried to retain the front-foot style of last week’s entertaining performance at Hoffenheim, it didn’t work. “Regardless of the ‘present situation’,” wrote Lieto, “one must say that even at times when Uth, Embolo, [Franco] Di Santo and company could still be deployed, Schalke did not exactly spread fear and terror in opposing defences.”

Much of the credit on this occasion, though, must go to their opponents, and their ability to mix the pragmatic with the pretty. “I already knew before the start that Schalke wouldn’t be letting off any fireworks in attack,” Reus suggested. “Witsel and Thomas Delaney [who scored the opener from a Reus delivery] give us so much energy in the middle.”

For a single-goal win, this felt emphatic, and was celebrated as such by the 6,000 travelling Dortmund fans. While it means a great deal in isolation, this victory couldn’t have been better timed with three fixtures to go in the calendar year in terms of impetus. To say Dortmund are begging for the winter break would be overstating it but they will welcome it. “Of course,” said Reus, “you slowly notice that the power isn’t there like it was at the start of the season. That’s why it’s important that we have a lot of players in our squad of sufficient quality to step in.”

Some will get a chance at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, with Reus, Delaney, Sancho (who will be going home to spend time with his family), Witsel, Lukasz Piszczek and Jacob Bruun Larsen all rested. If they are feeling the strain of their efforts, then they are reaping the rewards of them too.

Time will tell if the spring will be worthy of unpacking more pyro for the BVB faithful. For now, they are meeting every possible challenge – which is giving their local rivals plenty to ponder before the winter break and its transfer window.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.