Mauro Icardi, Internazionale and the Return of Unwelcome Headlines

 Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
TT

Mauro Icardi, Internazionale and the Return of Unwelcome Headlines

 Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images

The first time the big screen cut to Mauro Icardi, it stayed with him for only a few seconds. He had arrived just before kick-off for Inter’s game against Sampdoria, taking a seat beside his wife, and agent, Wanda in the stands at San Siro. Neither seemed to notice when the cameras picked them out, provoking brief jeers from the home crowd.

But the camera lingered a little longer the second time around. Play had stopped, and the mood inside the stadium was restless, with the score still goalless after the interval. This time the whistles were ear-splitting. Wanda glanced up at the screen, and quickly cast her eyes back down.

Four days had passed since Icardi was stripped of the captaincy: a decision which the manager, Luciano Spalletti, explained thus: “There are certain things surrounding the lad which need to be fixed. These things have caused, and continue to cause, embarrassment to the team and the club of which he was captain.”

Chief among those ‘things’ was presumed to be Wanda, and her habit for creating unwelcome headlines. A regular on Mediaset’s football talk show Tiki Taka, she had criticised her husband’s team-mates for not passing him the ball enough. “More than giving Mauro a new contract,” she observed, “I’d prefer Inter to sign someone capable of giving him five good balls in every game.”

There was more to Inter’s decision than a single remark. It had been precipitated by a meeting of the club’s directors, led by Beppe Marotta. Appointed as CEO for sporting activity in December, this felt like an instance of the former Juventus man seeking to establish his leadership on a key issue. He had the backing of many Inter supporters. Icardi finished as Serie A’s joint-top scorer last season, but goals alone do not make a captain. Ultras have not forgotten the incendiary autobiography the player released in 2016, in which he threatened to “bring 100 criminals from Argentina” to kill those who had menaced him as the team struggled.

More recently, there had been reports of a squad divided: with cliques said to have formed inside the Inter changing room. Fresh fuel was thrown on that fire when Marcelo Brozovic hit ‘like’ on Inter’s tweet announcing that Samir Handanovic had replaced Icardi as captain.

The Argentinian opted out of Thursday’s Europa League trip to Rapid Vienna, having initially been named in the squad. He was subsequently omitted from the team to face Sampdoria. Spalletti said he was pleased Icardi chose to come and watch anyway, though he would have preferred it if his striker had come down to celebrate with team-mates at the end of an eventual 2-1 win.

It was certainly an encouraging victory. Lautaro Martínez, starting up front in Icardi’s absence, delivered another strong performance after scoring the only goal against Rapid. He interprets the role very differently to his compatriot, offering greater movement and contribution to build-up play if also a less consistent presence inside the box.

It was tempting to wonder whether Icardi might have done better with a majestic early ball from from Roberto Gagliardini. Martínez had the goal at his mercy, but shot too close to keeper Emil Audero. Yet he created opportunities for those around him. It was Martínez who volleyed first-time into the path of Radja Nainggolan, before the Belgian fired just wide. It was he again whocreated space for Ivan Perisic to race clear before being thwarted by an excellent save from Audero.

Perisic made amends by setting up Inter’s first goal, dribbling in from the left and crossing for Danilo D’Ambrosio to score. Samp equalised moments later, Manolo Gabbiadini finishing coolly after a scramble, but the Nerazzurri delivered an immediate response, Nainggolan waiting on the edge of the box to convert a half-cleared corner.

As Inter’s former captain watched from the stand, team-mates who had likewise failed to show leadership were finally standing up to be counted. This was supposed to be a big year for Perisic, coming off a starring role for Croatia at the World Cup, yet he has only scored as many league goals in six months for his club as he did in seven games for his country last summer. Nainggolan, likewise, has underperformed – as well as being beset by injuries.The latter player already appeared to have turned over a new leaf, shedding four kilos since the start of the year thanks to a new diet and training regime. He had spoken about taking responsibility and growing up in the wake of Inter’s previous league win, away to Parma.

Inter’s hope now is that Icardi may follow such examples. Wanda was back on Tiki Taka on Sunday night when Marotta phoned in with a conciliatory message. “The decision [to strip Icardi of the captaincy] was not a disciplinary measure,” he said. “Heads of families need to take difficult decisions sometimes when it comes to their children, to help them grow. Icardi is only 25 years old.”

Hostility toward the player has reached unacceptable levels in some quarters, and Wanda said that they missed Sunday’s celebrations only after being advised to leave early for security reasons. A rock had been thrown at her car the day before, striking the windscreen as she was driving her three sons to a football game.

Marotta was among the first to call offering support: a reminder that it is possible to hold professional disagreements without abandoning human decency. Icardi’s future remains cloudy, but the director insists a fresh contract offer is on the way. This latest win can only strengthen his negotiating position.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.