Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

 Harry Maguire is delighted with Leicester’s higher tempo; Alisson’s fury against Burnley was justified; and Ayoze Pérez masterminded Newcastle’s wild comeback win. Composite: Reuters/PA/Action Images
Harry Maguire is delighted with Leicester’s higher tempo; Alisson’s fury against Burnley was justified; and Ayoze Pérez masterminded Newcastle’s wild comeback win. Composite: Reuters/PA/Action Images
TT

Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

 Harry Maguire is delighted with Leicester’s higher tempo; Alisson’s fury against Burnley was justified; and Ayoze Pérez masterminded Newcastle’s wild comeback win. Composite: Reuters/PA/Action Images
Harry Maguire is delighted with Leicester’s higher tempo; Alisson’s fury against Burnley was justified; and Ayoze Pérez masterminded Newcastle’s wild comeback win. Composite: Reuters/PA/Action Images

1) Arsenal ride luck after Xhaka sets them on winning course

Manchester United arrived in north London having won every away game under Ole Gunnar Solskjær, including a comprehensive FA Cup fourth-round victory at the Emirates. Arsenal had an unbeaten run of their own to protect – they haven’t lost at home in the league since the opening day – and Granit Xhaka’s early goal enabled them to maintain that run. Arsenal rode their luck at times, but Unai Emery’s three-man defence restricted the visitors’ threat on the break, while the deployment of both Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang up front paid off. Victory takes Arsenal’s tally against their fellow ‘big six’ teams this season to 12 points – double what they managed in Arsène Wenger’s farewell season. With a relatively kind run-in, a top-four finish (preferably above Spurs) now appears firmly within reach – an achievement most fans would have taken before their first season with Emery at the wheel. Niall McVeigh

2) Guardiola moves closer to emulating Ferguson and Mourinho

Pep Guardiola now has eight matches left in his effort to emulate Sir Alex Ferguson and José Mourinho by retaining the Premier League title. After the 3-1 win over Watford he said: “Today we start a competition with nine games, not a competition with 38, and we played the first one. We won it and now we don’t have time to think much [because for] 21 days we don’t play in the Premier League. It’s nice to be top of course. When people asked if Liverpool feel the pressure when top of the league, I said I preferred to be on top than behind. It’s always better to be there because it’s in your hands. But my feeling is the same as a few games ago: we are going to drop points [so] keep the distance with Liverpool as much as possible and arrive in the last fixtures with the opportunity to win the title.” Do so and Guardiola will make City the first team since Manchester United a decade ago to win consecutive Premier Leagues. And he will join Ferguson and Mourinho in an exclusive club. Jamie Jackson

3) Coady displays his England credentials for Wolves

There was plenty to admire in Wolverhampton Wanderers’ rugged defence at Stamford Bridge but, at a time when England options feel slim before the naming of Gareth Southgate’s senior squad, Conor Coady’s display marked him apart. The captain organised what, at times, was a back eight, and flung himself in front of everything. At 26, and with the stress very much on youth, he must have wondered if his England chance had been and gone. Yet Southgate has problems at centre-back. Harry Maguire, John Stones and Lewis Dunk, capped in November and outstanding for Brighton on Saturday, will surely be picked for the forthcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro but, with Joe Gomez and Phil Jones injured, Eric Dier only recently back to fitness and the form of James Tarkowski and Michael Keane under scrutiny, Coady is in contention. “What I see every day is a fantastic player, a captain,” offered Nuno Espírito Santo of the defender. He merits his chance. Dominic Fifield

4) VAR would have worked to rule out Westwood’s goal

“In most countries the first goal would have been disallowed,” Jürgen Klopp said diplomatically of Burnley’s opening score, when Alisson was impeded by James Tarkowski and prevented from reaching Ashley Westwood’s corner. He is probably right, but only because in most countries attacking players know better than to lay even a finger on a goalkeeper, such is their level of protection.

Here we like a little more hurly-burly, though Tarkowksi’s interference was clearly excessive and to add insult to injury Alisson was booked for complaining about it. This at last is a situation VAR will be able to improve next season. Unlike Raheem Sterling’s first goal against Watford or Presnel Kimpembe’s now infamous handball against Manchester United this controversy did not require interpretation of the rules or a subjective opinion on the part of the referee. It was a foul, pure and simple, and replays would have confirmed the fact. Paul Wilson

5) Maguire warms to Rodgers’ fitness regime

For about half of Brendan Rodgers’s first home match in charge, Leicester were aggressive and quite thrilling. Fulham looked set to be thrashed. But Leicester could not sustain their dominance and were worried for a while before getting the win. Harry Maguire’s verdict augured well for the future but reflected badly on Rodgers’s predecessor, Claude Puel. “That is what we want to get to over 90 minutes,” said the England defender. “We will get fitter with the way [Rodgers] wants to work and it is something we are looking forward to. All year, especially at home, we haven’t played with a high enough tempo. He has probably seen that and watched all our previous games. We are working hard to increase the tempo and make it a lot more exciting for the fans to watch.” Paul Doyle

6) Pérez makes it a happy anniversary for Benítez

It is Rafa Benítez’s third anniversary at St James’ Park. He has experienced relegation, promotion, survival and days like these. Newcastle came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 amid euphoric noise. Benítez ranked it with a promotion victory over Brighton and one against Manchester United last February. The memory of half-time, Istanbul, 2005, also follows Benítez and he said: “It was similar, because you have to give them something to believe.” Ayoze Pérez called half-time “quite strange, we were not so bad but were 2-0 down and missed a penalty”. Jordan Pickford felled Salomón Rondón but was not sent off. Lee Mason’s refereeing was idiosyncratic. Pickford saved Matt Ritchie’s penalty; Richarlison promptly made it 2-0 to Everton after Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s opener. Rondón made it 2-1, then Pérez struck twice, including an offside winner, in a breathless finale. Michael Walker

7) Sims turns back clock to spark Saints revival

Josh Sims’s debut for Southampton in November 2016 felt significant. The 19-year-old academy graduate tore Everton apart from the right wing and, quite rightly, received a standing ovation from the St Mary’s crowd on his late substitution. The big time was surely around the corner but instead Sims went on to make limited appearances under Claude Puel and then Mark Hughes prior to a loan spell at Reading, where he also featured rarely. A dead end had been reached, but then came Sims’s impact as a half-time substitute in Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Tottenham. In his first appearance for Southampton since returning from Reading, the 21-year-old turned back the clock with a display full of drive and craft. Afterwards, Ralph Hasenhüttl described Sims as someone who has “good solutions on the ball” and for the winger the hope must be that Southampton’s latest manager gives him a proper chance to prove himself at the club. Sachin Nakrani

8) Camarasa’s class gives Warnock something to smile about

Neil Warnock had the last laugh on Saturday, when he joked that Víctor Camarasa’s personal staff would “be on the phone and probably want a scan” after the Spaniard came off with cramp against West Ham. Camarasa upset Warnock a couple of weeks ago because, according to the Cardiff manager, the midfielder “listens to his physios, his medical people and Tom, Dick and Harry from abroad” before declaring whether he is fit. Whether that is the case or not, there is no doubt about Camarasa’s importance to this Cardiff side. Signed on loan from Real Betis in the summer, the 24-year-old has been superb this season, bringing a touch of class to a gritty and workmanlike team. He scored Cardiff’s second against West Ham and it was his run from inside his own half that carved West Ham open for the first. Warnock had better hope he stays fit. Stuart James

9) Dunk excels for Brighton to give Southgate a nudge

Lewis Dunk has timed his return to form well. The defender was excellent in Brighton’s win at Crystal Palace, denying Wilfried Zaha and Michy Batshuayi goals with excellent last-ditch blocks, and he has an outside chance of keeping his spot in the England squad. Dunk made his international debut against the USA in November and Chris Hughton believes the 27-year-old deserves another chance to impress Gareth Southgate after helping Brighton recover from their recent dip. “What got him the cap in the first place is what he has now,” Brighton’s manager said. “There wouldn’t be any player in the England manager’s thinking that is not going to be up and down. They’re not all going to be brilliant every week. He’s a centre-half, he’s going to be tested in this division. I don’t think he’s changed. He’s still the same level of player as he ever was.” Jacob Steinberg

10) Siewert faces future of further toil at doomed Huddersfield

Jan Siewert has pledged to stay positive until the end of a Huddersfield season where relegation is close to becoming a mathematical reality. But what may await him beyond that? The Championship, where both the standard and the drama have been high this season, is no hiding place where a fallen club can lick its wounds, as Stoke, Swansea and West Brom have proved. The latter sacked Darren Moore on Saturday because automatic promotion was ebbing away and the record of managers parachuted into clubs already heading downwards from the Premier League is anything but wonderful. John Gregory and Paul Jewell at Derby, Alan Pardew at Charlton and Felix Magath at Fulham perished quickly in the second tier. There, Siewert faces a task just as difficult as escaping relegation has proved. John Brewin

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.