Energy Minister: UAE Can Raise Oil Production to 3.5 Mn pbd If Needed

UAE's Oil Minister OPEC President Suhail Mohamed al-Mazrouei addresses a news conference after an OPEC meeting in Vienna, Austria, June 22, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
UAE's Oil Minister OPEC President Suhail Mohamed al-Mazrouei addresses a news conference after an OPEC meeting in Vienna, Austria, June 22, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Energy Minister: UAE Can Raise Oil Production to 3.5 Mn pbd If Needed

UAE's Oil Minister OPEC President Suhail Mohamed al-Mazrouei addresses a news conference after an OPEC meeting in Vienna, Austria, June 22, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
UAE's Oil Minister OPEC President Suhail Mohamed al-Mazrouei addresses a news conference after an OPEC meeting in Vienna, Austria, June 22, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)

UAE is one of the most committed countries to the reduction of oil production approved by Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), with the country producing up to 3.043 million barrels in March, according to Oil Minister Suhail al-Mazrouei.

The minister indicated that the UAE can raise production to 3.5 million barrels per day (pbd), only "if needed".

In the UAE last year, production reached 3.4 million bpd and it can take it to 3.5 million bpd if needed, but it is not going to be selling oil for others just to restore, asserted Mazrouei.

“We need eligible requirements for our oil and to make sure that oil is not used to build up inventories; there are some fundamentals that bind us in this respect.”

"The Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee (JMMC) in Jeddah next month will look into the prevailing market conditions and decide to continue the output cut deal or not; but the objective will be the same, which is to keep the market balanced, and see what the consensus will be," the minister was quoted by WAM.

Mazrouei also said that compliance with the cuts by both Russia and Iraq has increased in March, adding that he expected the oil market to achieve balance by the end of 2019.

“Russia will not increase its output unless in coordination with the rest of OPEC and OPEC+ countries,” Mazroui said on the sidelines of the Bloomberg Invest Abu Dhabi Summit.

OPEC and other oil producers led by Russia agreed to reduce their combined output by 1.2 million bpd from Jan. 1 this year for six months in an attempt to balance the market.

The Minister announced that his country and Saudi Arabia were aligned by the vision to drive joint investment and optimization and noted there was a new line of thought process - 'thinking outside the box'. He said the UAE and Saudi Arabia would collaborate and work together in a third country.

The Bloomberg Invest Abu Dhabi Summit aims to confront issues ranging from the urgent drive to create greater economic diversification, the rapidly changing capital markets, to the continuing power of technology to disrupt the financial landscape.

Also at the summit, UAE Minister of State Ahmed al-Sayegh said that the oil and gas sector in Abu Dhabi is one of the most attractive sectors for foreign direct investment (FDI), noting that over the past two years, it has attracted more than $21 billion through land and sea concessions.

The UAE, the second-biggest economy in the Arabian Gulf, attracted $15 billion in 2018, accounting for more than 22 percent of the total FDI inflows into the Mena region, driven by investments in the country’s oil and gas sector, according to Sayegh who is also chairman of Abu Dhabi Global Market.

Sayegh noted that 2019 is a promising year for Abu Dhabi after the government launched the Development Accelerators Programme "Tomorrow 21", which has now begun to make remarkable achievements to strengthen the status of Abu Dhabi.

In the next three years, $13.6 billion will be invested through four major themes within “Tomorrow 21” namely: business and investment, community, knowledge and innovation, and lifestyle. “Tomorrow 21” has been designed as a dynamic initiative that will allow the expansion of new priorities within the four axes.

Over 100 initiatives have been developed, 80 percent of which will be launched this year, he announced.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.