Libya: Army Intensifies Strikes in Tripoli, GNA Prepares for Decisiveness

Smoke rises from bombing during clashes (AFP / Mahmud TURKIA)
Smoke rises from bombing during clashes (AFP / Mahmud TURKIA)
TT

Libya: Army Intensifies Strikes in Tripoli, GNA Prepares for Decisiveness

Smoke rises from bombing during clashes (AFP / Mahmud TURKIA)
Smoke rises from bombing during clashes (AFP / Mahmud TURKIA)

Clashes intensified around the Libyan capital, Tripoli, between the Libya National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Hafter and forces loyal to head of Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez al-Sarraj.

LNA announced it had gained control over “several new sites” inside the capital, and the military information center said in a statement posted on its Facebook page that the forces are advancing, while GNA militias are retreating, indicating that military reinforcements are arriving to various military brigades and army battalions at the earliest.

The media center also indicated that “following Haftar’s instructions, a security room was formed under the chairmanship of Brigadier General Abdul Nasser Masoud. The room handles all security issues within the region in coordination with the western region operations room. Its members are a number of LNA officers and are required to report to the General Command Control Authority.

Meanwhile, GNA forces announced a counter-attack south of the capital and Sarraj called on his forces which he said are preparing for the ‘day of decisiveness’, to take into account civilians stuck in areas of clashes, and protect their properties.

For his part, GNA's military spokesman Colonel Mohammad Gnounou denied the reports that the LNA took control over al-Aziziyah, asserting to German News Agency that GNA took control of the city, located 45 km south of Tripoli, pointing out that the troops are advancing beyond towards Nafusa Mountain.

Meanwhile, Haftar spokesman Ahmed al-Mismari, said the White House statement on President Donald Trump's call with Haftar shows that the United States is convinced of the pivotal role of the army.

Trump’s statement demonstrates the US belief in the pivotal role of the Libyan army in the war on terrorism, Mismari said in televised remarks on Friday evening.

Earlier in a press conference, the spokesman indicated that the forces continue what he called the process of “cleansing” Tripoli of terrorist armed groups, stressing that the operations are progressing smoothly and steadily in Tripoli.

He also accused Sarraj forces of an airstrike on army positions, pointing out that al-Qaeda and al-Nasra Front terrorist groups arrived to Tripoli from Syria via Turkey.

Mismari noted that the army had handed over Tamanhint base to the Interior Ministry of the interim government headed by Abdullah al-Thani in the east after a terrorist attack was foiled resulting in the death of 15 terrorists.

Clashes in Tripoli has killed at least 220 people and wounded more than 1,066 others, announced the United Nations' World Health Organization.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) indicated that over 32,100 people have been internally displaced since the onset of fighting, with over 900 individuals currently residing in collective shelters, and local authorities are setting up additional shelters to receive displaced families.

In related news, hundreds of Sarraj supporters demonstrated in Tripoli and Misrata, protesting the war, where they chanted against the rule of the military. The crowd gathered in the Martyrs square center of Tripoli under strict security measures.

One of the protests coordinators, Faraj al-Takbali told Xinhua news agency that the demonstrations and its growing numbers are conclusive proof that residents refuse to allow the destruction of the Libyan capital.

Protesters wore the French anti-government protests’ trademark yellow vests rejecting the French support of Haftar. The participants asserted their rejection of other countries interference in their internal affairs.

In other news, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) Ghassan Salame denied Saturday evening an assassination attempt in Tripoli through a tweet on his Twitter account, without clarifying the source of the rumor.

“To the lovers I say, and to others also: No! I was not subjected to an assassination attempt: the news is fabricated and the images are falsified. When will the charlatans who are in their burrows understand that the truth they kill every day is the only one that liberates them?” Salame tweeted.

Two weeks after the outbreak of violent clashes south of Tripoli, the UN envoy and his political Deputy, Stephanie Williams, are still operating at the mission headquarters in the capital.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.