The Revolution Will Be Televised: As the Season Ends, the Age of Var Is Nigh

 Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
TT

The Revolution Will Be Televised: As the Season Ends, the Age of Var Is Nigh

 Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images

Sunday’s round of Premier League matches are not only the last of the season but the final ones before video assistant referees – VARs – are introduced to the top flight. It is a moment many are wary of but no one can stop. The revolution is coming and it will be televised.

The encouraging news is that work has been under way at Stockley Park, VAR’s west-London headquarters, for close to two years to ensure the system operates successfully during the 380 Premier League games to be played next season. That process has involved live and non-live testing as well as consultations with all parties, including managers and players.

Last week it was the turn of journalists to hear a progress report from Mike Riley, the head of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, as well as experience first-hand what it is like to be a VAR.

Riley is confident the system’s introduction to the Premier League will not significantly disrupt the “pace and tempo” of matches. He is also certain it will vastly improve the accuracy of “factual” calls, specifically regarding offsides.

As part of the non-live testing process, PGMOL officials have monitored all onside and offside calls that have taken place during the current Premier League season and noted that by match-round 33 there had been 35 such calls that, had VAR been in place, would have been overturned, leading to the “key-match incidents accuracy” of top-flight referees rising from 84% to 87% and that of assistant referees from 79% to 95%.

“Of those 35, 26 have been in matches when the score has been level or there has been a one-goal difference,” Riley said. “That’s why we’re positive about VAR: it will lead to more correct and important judgments.”

The system will not change the subjective nature of many decisions. As well as checking for mistaken identity, VARs also check goals, penalty calls and straight red cards and in each area there can be differing opinions. Hence the requirement of VARs to intervene only if they feel the on-pitch referee has made a “clear and obvious” error. Yet what the VAR may deem to be “clear and obvious”, others may not . As Riley put it: “Subjective decisions ultimately come down to the VAR on the day.”

In regards to live testing, 68 games in the domestic cups have seen the use of VAR. It is the data gathered from this process that, Riley said, shows the introduction of VARs will not have a hugely adverse effect on the flow of top-flight games. On average there were eight checks per game, with the average time of a check being 29 seconds; Riley noted: “The average time taken to celebrate a goal in the Premier League is 62 seconds.”

In a further attempt to maintain the flow of matches, the PGMOL wants VARs to make calls on decisions they feel need to be overturned or reviewed, as opposed to asking the on-pitch official to check the incidents on the screen in the referee referral areas that will be on the touchline at every fixture. Final decisions will rest with the on-pitch referee, however: if he or she does not want to overturn a call, they will not have to.

There are seven VAR booths at Stockley Park, in one room. At each booth the VAR sits in front of a screen showing the game, with another screen lower down on a three-second delay. To the VAR’s right is a replay operator, whose job it is to provide all the available shots of an incident, while to their left sits the assistant VAR, with a brief to see how the on-pitch referee has dealt with the incident. The VAR also has a green button to “bookmark” an incident to look at later. A red button allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. It is a fast-paced and occasionally bewildering experience. Patience will be key as those involved get to grips with their respective roles, something Riley is sure will occur. “Over time we’ll get better and faster at it.”

Riley’s predecessor, Keith Hackett, is a vocal critic of the way VAR will be implemented in the top flight, with one of his complaints being the lack of clarity regarding how spectators inside the ground will know an incident or decision is being checked or reviewed. In response the PGMOL has made it clear that before the start of next season all Premier League clubs will be required to put something in place at their grounds that will allow everyone inside to know VAR is in play, perhaps via the large screens or a PA announcement. It is also possible a clip of the incident in question could be shown but only after the check or review. All those matters will be discussed at the Premier League clubs’ summer meeting.

There is also a call from the PGMOL for those concerned to spend the summer swotting up on VAR guidelines and regulations, especially the players who need to remember two things in particular – all goals are checked by VAR and they can get booked if they make the VAR-screen gesture towards a referee or ask him to consult with the VAR in an “aggressive manner”.

Again, however, this creates a subjective grey area – what exactly is an aggressive manner? Does being sarcastic count as being aggressive? No one knows for sure but what is for certain is that from next season the Premier League will change for ever.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.