Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Look Well Set to Avoid the Curse of the Runner-up

Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
TT

Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Look Well Set to Avoid the Curse of the Runner-up

Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)

Before Liverpool’s game against Wolves on Sunday, the eye was drawn to a new item of clothing being offered by the merchandise sellers around Anfield. It was a black T-shirt with the words “Never Give Up” written in large letters across the front, replicas of the one Mohamed Salah had worn during the Champions League win against Barcelona a few days earlier. The message has come to define Liverpool’s run to the final in Madrid and, on a broader level, is one Jürgen Klopp will need to instill in his players once their attention returns to domestic duties.

For all the happiness and pride that marked Liverpool’s 2018-19 Premier League campaign there is no escaping the feeling that there will be some lasting scars. Ninety-seven points, a single defeat, the best defense, the second-best attack, league leaders for 141 days and still no title. How do Liverpool’s players not feel absolutely gutted after that? How does it not have an effect on them if, say, they win their opening five games of next season but so, too, do Manchester City? Will their shoulders not sag, their heads not drop? Will they not feel that, yet again, they are coming up against a relentless machine that cannot be halted?

These are the questions Klopp will need to address during the summer, while for the club in general there is a particularly poor trend to be wary of – namely how Liverpool have performed in the seasons following the four other occasions they have finished second since last winning the title in 1990. Each time what should have been a springboard to championship success ended up proving to be a middling failure.

In 1992 Liverpool finished sixth having been runners-up to Arsenal the previous campaign. Eleven years later they finished fifth having again been runners-up to Arsenal 12 months earlier. In 2010 Liverpool finished seventh having just lost out to United in the race for the title a season earlier, and then came 2015, when a side managed by Brendan Rodgers finished sixth on the back of a 6-1 defeat at Stoke on the final day of the season, having the year previously come within a Steven Gerrard slip of becoming champions.

“Second is nowhere,” Bill Shankly once said but for modern Liverpool it also appears to be a curse, and supporters could be forgiven for fearing it will strike for a fifth time. After all, Liverpool go into the new season knowing there is little or no chance of them getting 97 points again – they can only do worse. It hardly makes for ideal preparations.

Not that John Barnes sees it that way. He finished second on two occasions with Liverpool – in 1991 and also two years earlier in the most dramatic ever finale to an English season. Arsenal needed to win at Anfield by two clear goals to become champions and did so thanks to Michael Thomas’s late charge through the midfield. It was a blow for a Liverpool side already reeling from the trauma of Hillsborough yet they recovered to land the title 12 months later. As far as Barnes is concerned, the current side have what it takes to do similar.

“Champions don’t wallow in despair,” he said. “They treat triumph and disaster the same because that’s the only way as a team you can maintain the focus required to perform at a consistently high level. That’s what Liverpool did this season – perform with incredible consistency. Finishing second wasn’t a failure and I’m sure everyone inside the club recognizes that and is ready to go again. And yes, they may not get 97 points again, but they will push for the title. I’m sure of that.”

In regards to those previous second-place finishes, there are obvious differences. A completely different manager and set of players for starters, but also no sense that Liverpool are in line for a summer’s worth of terrible transfer activity. That was certainly the case in 1991, when Graeme Souness, preparing for his first full season in charge, sold a number of established players in order to revitalize the squad, a decision he later admitted was a mistake, and which at the time appeared foolish given one of those he got rid of was Peter Beardsley, who still had plenty to offer, as he proved at Everton after joining them that August.

In 2002 Gérard Houllier went on a spending spree that saw the frankly awful El Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Bruno Cheyrou arrive at Anfield. In 2009, with Rafael Benítez in charge, Liverpool lost a key part of the team that had pushed United hard for the title in Xabi Alonso while in 2014 an even more important championship-chasing figure was lost in Luis Suárez, with the £75m Liverpool got for the Uruguayan largely wasted.

This time around Liverpool should not only hold on to their best players but can also be trusted to make shrewd investment in new recruits given that is largely how the club have operated during Klopp’s time in charge, with the German forming an excellent working relationship with the sporting director, Michael Edwards, a little-known figure who has played a big role in bringing Salah and Virgil van Dijk to the club.

Such has been Liverpool’s success in the transfer market over recent years that it is hard to see exactly how they strengthen. Perhaps they could move for Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt on the back of the impressive defensive partnership he has formed with Van Dijk at international level. Or maybe for Wilfried Zaha as cover for Salah and Sadio Mané in those crucial wide-forward areas. One other train of thought is that it may be time to move Roberto Firmino into a creative midfield/No. 10 role and deploy a more orthodox striker in the front three in order to boost the team’s scoring power to a potentially decisive level. Daniel Sturridge is no longer up to the task, nor clearly is Divock Origi, despite those goals against Everton, Newcastle and Barcelona. A new striker would be required, with RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, who has long been linked with a move to Anfield, a potential candidate.

Whoever joins Liverpool this summer, Klopp’s main task will be one he has already proved himself to be a master of: motivation. The man with the huge grins and warm hugs needs to convince his players that they can once again push City all the way and, with a little more effort and a little more luck, out-do them. Ignore the second-place curse, believe, and, as the T-shirt says, never give up.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."