Aboul Gheit: Palestine’s Budget Deficit Amounts to $700 Million

Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit. Reuters file photo
Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit. Reuters file photo
TT
20

Aboul Gheit: Palestine’s Budget Deficit Amounts to $700 Million

Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit. Reuters file photo
Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit. Reuters file photo

Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Aboul Gheit said that Palestine’s budget deficit reached $700 million this year.

His statement came during an emergency meeting of the Arab foreign ministers in Cairo on Sunday.
 
“We are able to support the Palestinians through the financial safety net, or in any form of financial support, including grants or even loans, in order to help them overcome the pressing and dangerous crisis,” he said.
 
In a statement issued at the end of the meeting, the ministers emphasized their commitment to the decisions of the Arab League, with regards to the establishment of a financial safety net to support the budget of the Authority, worth $100 million per month.
 
The finance ministers stressed “Arab support for the political, economic and financial rights of the State of Palestine and the need to ensure its political, economic and financial independence.” They also condemned the “Israeli hijacking of the Palestinian people’s money” and called on the international community to exert pressure on the Israeli government in this regard.
 
The Arab finance ministers proposed to provide soft loans within the safety net through a bilateral agreement with Palestine, and to continue to support infrastructure and development projects through financial aid or soft loans.
 
The final communiqué also called on Arab funds and institutions, as well as Arab banks, to contribute to the financial safety net by providing soft loans to the State of Palestine in direct coordination with the Palestinian competent authorities.
 
Shoukri Beshara, the Palestinian minister of finance and planning, had earlier called on Arab finance ministers to “activate the Arab safety net in accordance with the resolutions of the League of Arab States,” noting that Israeli sanctions put the Palestinian economy at a critical juncture.



Yemen’s Humanitarian Lifeline on the Brink, IRC Warns

Aid agencies face increasing requests for assistance in the camps of displaced Yemenis (UN)
Aid agencies face increasing requests for assistance in the camps of displaced Yemenis (UN)
TT
20

Yemen’s Humanitarian Lifeline on the Brink, IRC Warns

Aid agencies face increasing requests for assistance in the camps of displaced Yemenis (UN)
Aid agencies face increasing requests for assistance in the camps of displaced Yemenis (UN)

As Yemen marks ten years of conflict and crisis ignited by the Houthis, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) warned that the country will face unprecedented challenges this year with expected reductions in US contributions, which accounted for more than half of total humanitarian funding to Yemen in 2024.

The Committee said the 2025 Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan (HNRP) seeks $2.47 billion to reach 10.5 million people—but as of March 2025, it is just 5% funded.

In 2024, the response received just over half of what was required, forcing aid agencies to scale back essential support such as food distributions and limit access to clean water and other services.

Therefore, IRC warned that expected reductions in US contributions, which accounted for more than half of total humanitarian funding to Yemen in 2024, threaten to widen this gap even further, placing millions at greater risk of hunger, disease, and further displacement.

The Committee also cautioned that a widening chasm between rising humanitarian needs and the funding required to alleviate them, risks leaving millions of Yemenis without access to food, healthcare and protection services.

In 2025, it said, an estimated 19.5 million people will need humanitarian assistance and protection—an increase of nearly 7% compared to 2024. Across the country, more than 83% of the population now lives in poverty.

More than 4.5 million people are now internally displaced with most displaced multiple times over the past decade. IRC teams said they are witnessing rising demand in displacement sites, where families face limited access to food, healthcare and clean water.

“These figures reflect the compounding toll of a crisis that has deepened year after year, leaving families with fewer resources, fewer services and no safe alternatives,” the Committee warned.

For families who have endured years of displacement and insecurity, humanitarian aid has been critical to survival.

“I remember the first time I heard the sounds of war. I felt a fear I had never known before. We lost our home, our livelihood, and most importantly, our sense of security. Living in this camp is a daily struggle with no privacy or safety,” said Abdulnasser Abdullah, a displaced father living in Al Qataysh camp.

He added: “But the healthcare assistance we have received has made a real difference—especially since we can’t afford basic medication or even a simple meal.”

Caroline Sekyewa, IRC’s Country Director in Yemen, said that for ten years, Yemenis have endured relentless conflict, economic collapse, and limited access to lifesaving health and nutrition services.

“Humanitarian aid has been their lifeline-preventing disease outbreaks, delivering healthcare, responding to natural disasters, and helping families to survive,” she said.

For donor governments to consider reducing or removing that support is not just short-sighted, it puts millions of lives at risk, the aid director affirmed.

“Yemen now stands on a precipice and without urgent support, we risk reversing years of hard-fought gains. Ultimately, humanitarian aid on its own cannot end the suffering being felt by millions in Yemen,” she said.

Sekyewa then revealed that last year, humanitarian organizations, in spite of a huge funding shortfall, reached more than 8 million people in need across the country.

“2025 must be a turning point in this crisis. With needs steadily increasing, we call upon all donors to step up and ensure that this year’s humanitarian needs and response plan is fully funded,” she affirmed.