Popular Sinai Market Closed as Precautionary Measure

An Egyptian vegetable seller is seen at a market in Cairo, Egypt June 15, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
An Egyptian vegetable seller is seen at a market in Cairo, Egypt June 15, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
TT

Popular Sinai Market Closed as Precautionary Measure

An Egyptian vegetable seller is seen at a market in Cairo, Egypt June 15, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
An Egyptian vegetable seller is seen at a market in Cairo, Egypt June 15, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Security forces have closed the Tuesday market of the North Sinai town of Sheikh Zuweid as a “precautionary” measure over fears of a terrorist attack.

The closure was unprecedented for the market which every Tuesday welcomes thousands of residents to buy their daily needs.

Mohammed Mansour, a vegetable seller, said around 150 sellers arrive to the market facility each Monday to arrange their products for the next day.

But they were surprised by the market’s closure, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He revealed that he has been selling vegetables at the market for the past 20 years. But that the vendors accepted the decision of the authorities to preserve their lives.

A local teacher, Mustafa Hassan, says that around 10,000 people visit the market each Tuesday.

This week, the market was getting ready to sell goods on the occasion of Eid al-Adha, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

On April 9, seven people including four police personnel were killed when a suicide bomber targeted police near the market, Egypt’s interior ministry said in a statement.

The attacker was around 15 years old, the ministry said, and a six-year-old was among the dead.

The attack happened when security forces were conducting a sweep near the market, the statement said.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack and identified the attacker as Abu Hagar al-Masry, saying he had detonated an explosive vest when he was near a police foot patrol.

Sheikh Zuweid witnessed a terrorist attack last month too. A policeman was killed when the army thwarted a suicide attack at a parking lot near a security checkpoint, the armed forces spokesman said.

A security source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the decision to close the Tuesday market was aimed at cutting the road to any attempt by terrorist elements to infiltrate a large gathering of residents.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.