Referee Stéphanie Frappart: 'Girls See Me on TV and Know It's Possible'

Stéphanie Frappart will be in charge of Liverpool v Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
Stéphanie Frappart will be in charge of Liverpool v Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
TT

Referee Stéphanie Frappart: 'Girls See Me on TV and Know It's Possible'

Stéphanie Frappart will be in charge of Liverpool v Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
Stéphanie Frappart will be in charge of Liverpool v Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. Photograph: Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images

Referees tend not to be clapped on to the pitch, let alone greeted with purpose-made banners, but supporters of Amiens decided to make an exception before their match against Strasbourg in April. It was a historic occasion, the first top-flight men’s match in France to be refereed by a woman, Stéphanie Frappart. “Welcome to the Stade de la Licorne, Madame Frappart,” read a banner held aloft by home fans. “Long live women in football!”

Maybe Liverpool and Chelsea fans are planning a similar display for when Frappart breaks new ground by taking charge of their European Super Cup final in Istanbul on Wednesday. That will be the first time a major European men’s final has been presided over by female officials, with Frappart assisted by her French compatriot Manuela Nicolosi and Ireland’s Michelle O’Neill. The trio have worked together at bigger matches – they were in charge of this year’s Women’s World Cup final – but there is no doubt they will be under singular focus at Vodafone Park on Wednesday.

“The pressure is different,” said Frappart. “I know very well that people will be waiting to see how I do.” But the 35-year-old from Val d’Oise near Paris has grown accustomed to the additional pressure.

When she was appointed for that Amiens versus Strasbourg match in April, the fixture suddenly received far more attention than would normally be given to a mid-table Ligue 1 skirmish. Until then the only one of Europe’s five major leagues to have entrusted a match to a female referee was the Bundesliga, where Bibiana Steinhaus officiated in 2017.

In the Premier League Sian Massey-Ellis operates as an assistant but has yet to be given the main job in the middle. It took a long time for French authorities, too, to make that jump – Frappart’s assignment in April came 23 years after Nelly Viennot set a precedent by running the line for a Ligue 1 match.

It was to Frappart’s credit that the Amiens-Strasbourg game turned out to be a bit of a non-event, and not just because it was a 0-0 draw. “To be totally honest we studied her every movement,” wrote Yohann Hautbois in his match report in L’Équipe. “[We] noted down everything it was possible to note – the way she checked out the pitch … her warm-up with her two assistants, her diagonal runs, the formalities, her first decision (a foul given against Sehrou Guirassy in the fourth minute) and so on until, after a while, we forgot about her. We no longer saw her and, above all, we weren’t watching her.” The old rule of thumb applied, that the best referees are the ones that are noticed the least.

“Of the 23 actors on the pitch the 35-year-old referee was probably the one who got the most decisions right,” concluded Hautbois.

“I showed I had the skills and abilities to be there,” said Frappart, who will take charge of Ligue 1 matches regularly this season after being assigned to the country’s 23-strong panel of elite referees. She has to pass the same physical fitness tests as her male colleagues. “The players don’t run slower just because the referee is a woman,” she says.

Her promotion came as no surprise to anyone familiar with her from France’s second tier, where she had been refereeing since 2014. “She is the best referee in Ligue 2,” said the US Orléans midfielder Pierre Bouby earlier this year. “Her voice is quiet but she has charisma and personality. She uses the right words. She explains. She’s diplomatic and you can talk to her. She doesn’t try to make herself the center of attention. She is all about what’s best for the game.”

The Lille manager, Christophe Galtier, held a similar view, telling French media. “She is very diplomatic. And when you’re a manager, a man under pressure, you get frustrated … but she just has to give you a look, a smile or a gesture to make you stop.”

That is not easy. Nicole Petignat, the Swiss who became the first woman to officiate in a men’s European tie when she took charge of qualifying matches in the Uefa Cup in 2004, used a different approach out of fear of being misinterpreted. “On the pitch I’ve always kept a distance from the players,” she said back in 2008. “It’s completely out of the question that I use my femininity to back up a decision, a smile for example. I couldn’t let people think I was sending out a double message.”

Frappart says that since she began taking charge of men’s professional matches, there have been only very few times when she felt disrespected on the grounds of her gender. One of them, no doubt, was in October 2015 when the Valenciennes manager, David Le Frapper, railed against the non-award of a penalty to his team during a 0-0 draw with Laval. “The [penalty] was clear but the referee didn’t see it, maybe she was ice skating,” Le Frapper fumed after the match. “When you are a woman and you come to referee a man’s sport, it’s complicated,” he said. Le Frapper apologized a few minutes later, realizing what he had said did not help.

Frappart, meanwhile, has continued to advance in her career in officiating, her Super Cup appointment the latest achievement. “It’s a real pleasure to show it’s possible,” she said in June. “Young girls see me on TV and know it’s possible. I hope this will stimulate them to pursue their vocations.”

(The Guardian)



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.