Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

Gary Cahill of Crystal Palace; John McGinn of Aston Villa; Brendan Rodgers of Leicester City. Composite: Getty Images/Shutterstock
Gary Cahill of Crystal Palace; John McGinn of Aston Villa; Brendan Rodgers of Leicester City. Composite: Getty Images/Shutterstock
TT

Premier League: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend’s Action

Gary Cahill of Crystal Palace; John McGinn of Aston Villa; Brendan Rodgers of Leicester City. Composite: Getty Images/Shutterstock
Gary Cahill of Crystal Palace; John McGinn of Aston Villa; Brendan Rodgers of Leicester City. Composite: Getty Images/Shutterstock

1) McGinn on the rise with Villa
On current form there are, at a rough count, at least three teams from the established “top six” that could benefit from the services of John McGinn. With the exception of Kevin De Bruyne it is hard to find a midfielder in better form and he certainly deserved to be on the winning side here, when Aston Villa were eventually pegged back by Burnley. “He’s been consistently good in all our performances and consistently looks like he’s going to score goals,” said McGinn’s manager, Dean Smith, after he volleyed in Villa’s second having earlier had a strike ruled out by VAR. “He’s an all-action player, gets into the opposition box, scores goals, wins free-kicks.” McGinn has an unorthodox running style but seems to cover every blade of grass while offering a constant creative threat: his rise has been quite something and the list of admirers will surely be growing. Nick Ames

2) Yarmolenko makes major impact
Manuel Pellegrini stopped short of describing Andriy Yarmolenko as like a new signing but there is no masking the impact the Ukraine winger has made since returning from almost a year out through injury. Yarmolenko provides West Ham with another welcome touch of class in the attacking third, where Pellegrini already has a wealth of options: the fit-again Manuel Lanzini, Felipe Anderson, Pablo Fornals and Jack Wilshere. “He [Yarmolenko] is carrying us at times,” said Ryan Fredericks. “We want to give him the ball as much as possible. He’s a little bit different. Unpredictable.” Recent evidence, namely goals against Manchester United and Bournemouth, suggests Yarmolenko could propel high-flying West Ham towards the top-seven finish they crave. “We’re a different team, a different beast this season,” Fredericks said. Ben Fisher

3) Abraham improves despite firing blanks
After scoring seven goals in three games Tammy Abraham has none in his past three outings for Chelsea. He struggled in the defeat by Valencia in the Champions League, lost a battle of wits with Adrián when he went through against Liverpool last week and had a frustrating afternoon in the win over Brighton on Saturday, spurning several opportunities in both halves. Instead of dwelling on the misses, however, let us focus on the positives. For a start Abraham has the knack of getting into goalscoring positions. But what of his ability to lead the line? It is not enough for a striker to be a mere poacher these days. They have to work for the team and Abraham showed he is improving in that area against Brighton, whose defenders struggled to live with his pace, strength and intelligence. His finishing might have been off but he did not have a bad game. Jacob Steinberg

4) Palace looking safe and secure
In a season when clean sheets have been something of a rarity, Crystal Palace’s three from seven matches – the joint-highest along with West Ham and Manchester City – is a testament to their defensive strength in depth. Gary Cahill has proved to be a shrewd acquisition for the club, while Mamadou Sakho, James Tomkins, Martin Kelly and Scott Dann give Roy Hodgson several options at the back. The manager said: “It’s a great pity that we don’t have quite that luxury in other areas which I think would help us enormously if we had that. But I’m still hoping from the club’s point of view I hope that can be put right in January.” Having previously struggled at Selhurst Park, Palace are on their longest unbeaten home run since 1993 but face City, Leicester and Liverpool in their next three. Ed Aarons

5) Everton’s Silva lining
Everton have now lost three consecutive Premier League matches and on traveling to Burnley on Saturday will have not collected a point in the competition for more than a month. Marco Silva’s team did, though, trouble Manchester City and Silva, for one, remains confident about Everton’s prospects for the season as he hailed the supporters. “I don’t have doubts. I think they [fans] go home with that bad feeling when we don’t get a result,” said the manager. “In the dressing room they had the same feeling. But I said to them, if we have this desire and attitude we will get the results. It will not always go like this. Football is like that, you know. It’s up to us to keep working. But they went home after an ovation for the players. It is important for sure that they will be there again at Burnley to support us and we must show the desire again.” Jamie Jackson

6) Fernandinho no more than stopgap
Since he arrived at Manchester City Fernandinho has received almost universal praise, but he was twice at fault for Everton’s equalizer. Playing as a center-back in Pep Guardiola’s makeshift defense, the Brazilian fluffed an attempted clearance of Gylfi Sigurdsson’s cross then put in a weak tackle on Alex Iwobi to allow Séamus Coleman to set up Dominic Calvert-Lewin. He is a superbly combative and elegant midfielder, whose ability to control midfield and protect the defense has been as fundamental to City’s success as Kevin De Bruyne’s artistry or Sergio Agüero’s ruthlessness, but he is quite simply not a defender. City have been unlucky that injuries have struck down Aymeric Laporte and John Stones but square pegs in round holes will not cut it. Not with Liverpool in this form. Rob Bleaney

7) Rodgers will savor Anfield return
Well, there is no stopping Leicester. Presented with a tiring and vulnerable opposition, they went clean through Newcastle. Some teams may have relaxed at 3-0 but Brendan Rodgers’s men hammered away at the open door that was Newcastle’s defense and were not flattered by the margin of victory. Leicester are up to third place. Is that courtesy of a generous start to their fixtures? Maybe. They have taken one point from games at Old Trafford and Chelsea. Up next on Saturday is Liverpool, at Anfield, a game Leicester drew last season and one Rodgers will savor. Should he go on the front foot, he will want Jamie Vardy to hustle and hassle Virgil van Dijk and James Maddison to be fit. He did not face Newcastle but Rodgers said after this win his star turn in midfield should be in contention. He will dearly love that to be the case. Conrad Leach

8) Wilder favors tough love
Chris Wilder was unsympathetic towards Dean Henderson after the goalkeeper’s error provided Georginio Wijnaldum’s winner. He also conjured an odd image. “I am not going to put my arm around him and rub his head,” the Sheffield United manager said. Henderson may not be daunted – George Baldock described him as confident three times in swift succession – but Wilder hopes a reaction will not be required by a man the Blades deem a future England keeper. “He made a huge one last year against Leeds and came back and he made a couple in a high-profile Championship game against Aston Villa and came back but I don’t want him to make mistakes,” the manager said. “For all the top goalkeepers mistakes are very few and far between. He is an outstanding young goalkeeper but a lot will be down to how he takes it on. This is a big season for him. It is up to him how he develops.” Richard Jolly

9) Ndombele off to promising start
One of the criticisms of Tanguy Ndombele at Lyon was his goals output. In 66 Ligue 1 appearances for the club he scored once. He knew himself that he needed to be more productive at Tottenham and so a second goal in five Premier League games was something to be happy about. What caught the eye about the midfielder’s performance against Southampton were the traits that convinced Spurs to part with a club-record fee of £55m in the summer – the driving, direct runs past opponents and the quick, incisive passes and flicks to get his team moving. These are early days and Ndombele needs more time to come to terms with the remorselessness of English football but he showed on Saturday that the raw materials are there. The search for consistency will define his season. David Hytner

10) Dashing Traoré adds guile
Let us talk about Adama Traoré again. The Wolves player is a source of fascination for many, partly because of his heritage – he grew up in Barcelona’s La Masla – but also his natural attributes, particularly his searing pace. The question of how to maximize those abilities has come into extra focus this season after Wolves moved on some of their forward players, giving Traoré a more prominent role. At points he has played as a wing-back but in recent games Nuno Espirito Santo has switched to a 3-4-3 and Traoré is back in his favored advanced position. Against Watford he was very effective but in a surprising way. Yes, there were exhilarating dashes down the wing and also those dribbled bursts of close control. But Traoré used another weapon, too – his passing was often excellent, with his pre-assist for Wolves’ decisive second goal the pick. Substituted late on, it was with a sense of job done. Paul MacInnes

(The Guardian)



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.