Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
TT

Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)

The formation of the Syrian Constitutional Committee and its rules of action put forward the battle of normalization with Damascus and the restoration of legitimacy to the Syrian regime, between Russia's rush to bring Syria back to the Arab family on one hand, and US's adherence to “isolating” Damascus on the other.

Last month, UN envoy Geir Pedersen and Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem agreed on the list of 150 candidates for the Constitutional Committee and its rules.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced the “political achievement” and declared the committee’s first meeting in Geneva on October 30.

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told Asharq Al-Awsat that the breakthrough came based on the decision of the Syrian National Dialogue Conference in Sochi, and within achievements of the three Astana guarantor countries: Russia, Turkey, and Iran.

Lavrov said he welcomes the formation of the constitutional committee, pointing out that progress on the political track will address the need for Syria to return to the “Arab family,” which namely depends on Saudi Arabia’s position.

Moallem said after an accidental meeting with Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit in New York, that the Arab League should return to Syria “to become Arab.”

Aboul Gheit said that the time has not come for Syria to return to the Arab League.

“Not yet...This answer still holds in the Arab arena, even though [several] Arab countries have restored their relations with Syria and opened embassies there. The collective Arab will has not yet arrived at the moment when it announces that we have no problem with the regime in Syria,” said Arab League Sec-Gen.

He said when matters stabilize and the new Syria sets out on its path: “I anticipate its return to its seat in the Arab League. There is a most important matter - that the new Syria will not fall into the arms of Iran. This is a central Arab condition that will allow Syria to return to the Arab League."

Meanwhile, US Syria Envoy Ambassador James Jeffrey urged the Arab League to confront any efforts to bring the Assad regime back before meeting the criteria set out in Resolution 2254.

He added that any attempt to welcome the Assad regime again in the League, or the resumption of relations with it, would undermine the collective efforts to move towards a lasting, peaceful and political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria.

US and UK led efforts to install elements of the political situation through a meeting of foreign ministers in New York including Egypt, France, Germany, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and the US.

EU High Representative Federica Mogherini and UN Envoy Pederson also called for a meeting on the sidelines of the UN Assembly General Assembly.

The countries welcomed the UN’s declaration that “an agreement was reached with all concerned parties to form a credible, balanced, comprehensive, Syria-owned and Syria-led constitutional committee.”

They described it as a “long-awaited positive step”, which still requires a serious commitment and a pledge to deliver promises to succeed.

The countries reiterated the importance of providing a suitable and neutral environment for the political process that enables Syrians of holding free, credible and fair elections, under the auspices of the United Nations, in a way that allows the participation of displaced citizens, refugees, and migrants.

They also confirmed their support to all efforts to hold all violators of international humanitarian law and international human rights law accountable, including those responsible for crimes against humanity.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that his country has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon in May in an attack on Latakia.

“Today I am announcing that the United States has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon on 19 May,” Pompeo said.

UK supported the US’ position in imposing new sanctions on Syrian entities.

So far, there have been no fundamental changes in the positions of European countries and the US on the conditions of “normalizing” relations with Damascus, “legitimizing the regime”, and contributing to the reconstruction of Syria.

However, some European countries are concerned about this matter, especially after Hungary announced the opening of its embassy in Damascus, which prompted the call for meetings before the European Ministerial Meeting in Brussels mid-month.

Meanwhile, France presented a document that set four conditions for the “restoration of legitimacy”, and the recognition of the results of the elections, including “full UN supervision” on the parliamentary elections next year, and the presidential one in 2021.

Paris proposed four principles for accepting the polls, such as: establishing confidence-building measures on the ground, to create an atmosphere to ensure that the electoral process is credible.

It also wants guarantees that ensure the safe access of internally displaced people and refugees to polling stations.

Third, France wants concessional legal and practical conditions for the pluralistic voting, especially with 12 million refugees and internally displaced people in Syria, adding that it is crucial that all Syrian diaspora citizens can vote, and have the right to stand in the upcoming elections.

Finally, the paper conditions the United Nations’ supervision of the elections to provide strict neutrality in the electoral process and prevent any form of manipulation.

The document stated the position of the European Union countries, and that they are fully prepared to play their role in the reconstruction of Syria, in the event of a real comprehensive political transition, based on Security Council resolution 2254.



Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.


Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
TT

Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)

Iraqi Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declined at the last minute to attend a meeting of the pro-Iran Coordination Framework on Monday night that was aimed at settling the crisis over his nomination as prime minister.

Instead of declaring that he was pulling out as candidate, as had been expected, Maliki informed his close circle that he is “following through with his nomination to the end,” trusted sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Iraq has come under intense pressure from the US to withdraw the nomination. In January, President Donald Trump warned Baghdad against picking Maliki as its PM, saying the United States would no longer help the country.

“Last time Maliki was in power, the Country descended into poverty and total chaos. That should not be allowed to happen again. Because of his insane policies and ideologies, if elected, the United States of America will no longer help Iraq,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Maliki also dismissed as “extortion and intimidation” talks of renewed US sanctions on Iraq, added the sources.

However, circles within the Coordination Framework have started to “despair” with the impasse over naming a new prime minister and are weighing the possibility of taking “difficult” choices, they revealed. Maliki has become a prisoner of his own nomination.

The Sunni Progress Party (Takadum) had voiced its reservations over Maliki’s nomination before Trump made his position clear and which has since weighed heavily on Iraq.

‘Indefinitely’

Maliki’s decision to skip the Framework’s meeting on Monday forced the coalition to postpone it “indefinitely”, exposing more differences inside the alliance that have been festering for months. The dispute over the post of prime minister is threatening to evolve into one that threatens the unity of the coalition itself.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Maliki had sent the Framework a written message on Monday night informing them that he will not attend the meeting because “he was aware that discussions will seek to pressure him to withdraw his candidacy.”

Maliki was the one to call for the meeting to convene in the first place, they revealed.

Reports have been rife in Iraq that Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish political leaderships have all received warnings that the US would take measure against Iraq if Maliki continued to insist on his nomination.

Former Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told Dijlah TV that “Shiite parties” had received two new American messages reiterating the rejection of Maliki’s nomination.

Necessary choice

Maliki and the Framework are now at an impasse, with the latter hoping the former PM would take it upon himself to withdraw his candidacy in what a leading Shiite figure said would help protect the unity of the coalition.

Leading members of the coalition were hoping to give Maliki enough time to decide himself to withdraw, but as time stretches on, the coalition may take matters into its own hands and take “necessary” choices, said the figure.

Other sources revealed, however, that Maliki refuses to voluntarily withdraw from the race believing that this is a responsibility that should be shouldered by the Framework. This has effectively left the alliance with complex and limited choices to end the crisis.

Sources close to Maliki said he has made light of US threats to impose sanctions, saying that if they were to happen, Iraq will emerge on the other side stronger, citing other countries that came out stronger after enduring years of pressure.

Moreover, he is banking on an American change in position, saying mediators have volunteered to “polish his image before Trump and his team.” Members of Maliki’s State of Law coalition declined to comment on this information.

Sources inside the Framework said the coalition may “ultimately withdraw Maliki’s nomination if he becomes too much of a burden on an already weary alliance.”

Doing so may cost them a strong ally in Maliki and force the Framework to yield to Washington’s will, said the Shiite figure. “Maliki may come off as stubborn and strong, but he is wasting his realistic options at this critical political juncture,” it added.

The Framework is divided between a team that is banking on waiting to see how the US-Iran tensions will play out to resolve the crisis and on Maliki voluntarily withdrawing his nomination. The other team is calling for the coalition to resolve the crisis through an internal vote.

Leading Shiite figures told Asharq Al-Awsat that opponents of Maliki’s nomination in the coalition have no choice but to apply internal pressure inside the Framework, which is on the verge of collapse.


Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.