Norwich’s Max Aarons: ‘When I Came Here It Almost Felt Like Home’

 Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
TT

Norwich’s Max Aarons: ‘When I Came Here It Almost Felt Like Home’

 Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer

Max Aarons has had an unusual route into football. It was not always certain that Norwich’s exciting right-back would make it as a professional. The 19-year-old started out at Luton but his decision to leave them at the age of 14 looked ill-advised when his time at Tottenham ended prematurely.

“I got offered a new deal at Luton but I wanted to come to a club with category-one status, which is where academy footballers get more training hours,” Aarons says. “I was on trial at Tottenham and it didn’t work out.”

Having rejected Luton’s contract offer, Aarons found himself without a club. But when he was wondering what to do next, an intriguing opportunity emerged. Saul Isaksson-Hurst, a coach who used to work at Chelsea, got in touch and asked if Aarons fancied doing some one-to-one training. They hit it off and Aarons took a year away from traditional football, combining his solo sessions with Isaksson-Hurst with his school work. “It was taking my game to another level,” he says. “I felt sharper than doing any group training.”

Aarons does not know anyone who has done something similar. His Norwich teammate Jamal Lewis spent a year exploring a career in athletics, but that was different. Aarons had taken a big risk. There was a danger he would find himself locked out.

“That nearly happened,” he says. “I was going to a few different clubs trialling here and there. There was nothing concrete. It was difficult being so young and going into places where you don’t know anyone.”

Not playing games made it harder. Aarons remembers being exhausted when he first stepped back on to the pitch, but his sharpness soon returned. “Before the last time I came into Norwich, I was just training with MK Dons,” he says. “I was there for about six weeks, just training. I had about six games there, which put me in really good stead.”

His father had contacted Gregg Broughton, who left Luton for Norwich’s academy in 2014. “I was on trial for three or four weeks before signing as a scholar,” Aarons says.

“When I came here it almost felt like home because I knew a lot of the staff here and a lot of the players I played with at Luton who had come here with Gregg.”

Aarons looks around and marvels at Norwich’s new academy complex, which was unveiled during the summer. When he first arrived there were portable buildings everywhere. There was certainly no 3G pitch. Progress has been rapid and Aarons is not the only graduate who has broken into the first team. Todd Cantwell, Ben Godfrey and Lewis are regulars in the first team.

Norwich, who host Manchester United on Sunday afternoon, have not let go of the expansive style that enabled them to win the Championship last season. They did not lose faith with playing out from the back when they lost at Liverpool on the opening weekend. Yet they have not won since beating Manchester City at Carrow Road last month. Their defending was appalling in the recent 5-1 home defeat by Aston Villa and they are in the bottom three.

Nonetheless, Aarons believes Daniel Farke is right to trust in his philosophy. “There were times last year where it wasn’t going well, but we stuck to it and came up as champions,” he says. “We’re all learning but our main focus was not to sway from what got us here. That will be good in the long run.”

Aarons has made rapid progress since his debut in August 2018, earning a spot in the Championship team of the season. He is an England Under-21 international and was linked with United in the summer. Spurs are also likely to need a new right-back soon.

There is no shortage of talented young English full-backs. It might not be long before Aarons, who admires Kyle Walker’s game, is competing with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Aaron Wan-Bissaka for a place in the England side. He loves to attack and it is no surprise to hear he started out as a winger. “You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid,” he says. “The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.”

Talk of England leads us to the abhorrent scenes in Bulgaria this month. Aarons was on under-21s duty and watched the game with Leicester’s James Justin. He was shocked and angered when he witnessed the racist abuse from the Bulgarian crowd. “It shouldn’t be happening in this day and age,” he says. “It’s disgusting. I couldn’t believe what was going on.”

Aarons has a multicultural background. His father’s parents came to Britain from Jamaica and he has relatives there. He is in touch with his roots and has not forgotten his early struggles. He speaks to Isaksson-Hurst on a regular basis and is determined not to let success change him. “Sometimes you do sit back and think: ‘Wow,’” he says. “It’s been a great 18 months but I need to carry it on. I want to stay level-headed.”

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.