Son’s Reaction to Gomes Injury Shows How Hard It Is for Players to Walk Away

 Son Heung-Min was distraught after his tackle on Everton’s midfielder André Gomes. Photograph: Paul Greenwood/BPI/Shutterstock
Son Heung-Min was distraught after his tackle on Everton’s midfielder André Gomes. Photograph: Paul Greenwood/BPI/Shutterstock
TT

Son’s Reaction to Gomes Injury Shows How Hard It Is for Players to Walk Away

 Son Heung-Min was distraught after his tackle on Everton’s midfielder André Gomes. Photograph: Paul Greenwood/BPI/Shutterstock
Son Heung-Min was distraught after his tackle on Everton’s midfielder André Gomes. Photograph: Paul Greenwood/BPI/Shutterstock

‘Take that.” Roy Keane stood over Alf-Inge Haaland, lying in a crumpled heap never to play a full game again, delivered his message and walked away without remorse. As reactions go – as tackles go too, if Keane’s infamous lunge can be called that – it could hardly have been more different to that of Son Heung-Min, who broke down in tears after André Gomes broke his ankle last week. On Wednesday night, Son dedicated his opening goal against Red Star Belgrade to the Everton midfielder. “I’m so sad this happened and that I was involved with this situation. I feel really, really sorry about this accident,” he said.

Be clear: Gomes is the victim, unable to return to playing for a long time, if at all. But Son’s reaction was a reminder that for players involved in serious injuries it is not always so easy to walk away. There’s guilt, even if there is no blame, a backlash, a desperation to atone in some small, insufficient way.

John Fashanu, who fractured Gary Mabbutt’s skull, leaving him with horrific injuries, says Ryan Giggs sent signed pictures when an accidental collision ended his career. Although, asked if injuring a player is hard to live with, Fashanu also responds bluntly: “It’s not the end of the world, don’t blow it out of proportion: ‘Oh my God, I’m going to commit suicide, I can’t eat all day.’ No.”

Yet live with it, many must. For a lot of players, that moment never goes away entirely. Even Keane had to revisit it, not just unable to walk away in the end but actually walking back into it. He claimed the ghost writer of his autobiography, Eamon Dunphy, had taken “artistic licence” when describing the scene as more like an assault than an attempt to win the ball. It was, he and Roddy Doyle wrote in a subsequent book, as if he had “killed someone”. Not that he showed contrition: this was about responsibility, rather than regret.

Son’s remorse was clear immediately. He was shocked by what he saw. Some injuries can’t be unseen. One of the lasting images of Coventry City’s David Busst suffering a broken leg at Old Trafford, shin bone puncturing his calf, soaking the turf in blood, is Peter Schmeichel walking away horrified, unable to look. The goalkeeper later admitted: “Everyone went numb.”

The Korean’s reaction also recalled the broken leg suffered by Deportivo de La Coruña defender Manuel Pablo. As he looked down following a tackle with Celta Vigo’s Everton Giovanella in a Galician derby, Manuel Pablo said he saw his leg “hanging there”, as if on a hinge. Giovanella did too, head in his hands, tears streaming. Still crying, afterwards he said: “I want him to know I never, ever, meant this; if I could swap places with him, I would.” Two days later, Giovanella travelled 160km for a hospital visit. “He was in a bad way,” he said. And he here is Manuel Pablo – it was Giovanella in a state, just as it was Everton players heading to the Spurs dressing room to console Son.

Giovanella and Manuel Pablo became friends; for others, it is different. Shaka Hislop recalls visiting Pier Luigi Casiraghi at a King’s Cross hospital after an accidental clash which ended the Italian’s career. Casiraghi was happy to see Hislop. His wife, though, wasn’t. “She held me to blame. I understand that, as a significant other, that’s how you see things,” the former West Ham goalkeeper says. “He didn’t blame me. I said I hoped to see him on the field soon, but that never came to pass.”

And then there is Andoni Goikoetxea, who broke Diego Maradona’s ankle in 1983. He told the Observer: “Every time I talk, I get the feeling I’m having to defend myself again,” he says. Just this call, 36 years on, is proof it never goes away entirely. “It was a tough tackle in a place I shouldn’t have done it,” he admits. “After the game, Barcelona’s Víctor Munoz said: ‘Don’t worry, I don’t think it’s bad.’ But that night, our coach, Javier Clemente, told us. It was a hammer blow. I knew what was coming. You try to sleep, you can’t. I spoke to him, called him. I had a bad time, so did my family. It was hell at home: the press came, the phone rang constantly, I had to leave for three weeks.

“When he joined Sevilla a few years later, I spoke to their press officer and asked him to arrange a meeting. We met for a coffee, chatted, talked about the family. I don’t remember the chat well; I’m not even sure we talked about the injury.” Everyone else did. “The first game after in France, they seemed disappointed that I wasn’t the devil with a forked tail. I went to England and the Sun’s front page called me The Butcher of Bilbao.

“Not long ago, the Times said Mr Goikoetxea is the most violent man in sporting history. I don’t recognise myself in that description. It doesn’t hurt, I don’t care, but it is unfair. I was an international, played for 16 years, scored more goals than any defender in Athletic’s history: 44. And people think all I ever did was injure Maradona; they only know me because of him. Years later, I’m still talking about it.”

Yeah, sorry about that. Goikoetxea placed the boots he was wearing in a glass case, like a trophy in a cabinet. “But it’s not what people think,” he insists. “I wore those boots in two games. One is the Maradona game and the other is Lech Poznan in the European Cup four days later. It was a special game. I’d just been given a long ban, we’d been handed the trophy for the previous season’s league title, I scored the first, we won 4-0, came back from a 2-0 in the first leg, and my teammates carried me off on their shoulders – which I’d never seen before. They knew my emotional state, how hard it had been.

“I wasn’t going to play for a long time and I thought: ‘I’m going to keep these boots’. They have a huge sentimental value; they’re a symbol, a powerful message. They’re what football is: sadness and happiness, good and bad, the beautiful and the ugly. Those boots are football.”

The Guardian Sport



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.