Saudi Arabia condemned on Tuesday attacks launched last week by Iranian regime-backed militias against American forces in Iraq, reported the Saudi Press Agency.
An official source said the Kingdom was following with “deep concern” the rising number of terrorist attacks in Iraq that seek to undermine its security and stability.
The latest of such assaults was the one launched by “terrorist militias backed by Iran against American forces deployed in Iraq as part of the international coalition to defeat the ISIS terrorist group,” it continued.
The attack near Kirkuk on December 27 prompted “defensive measures” against the terrorist groups that launched the strike, it added.
The source stressed that Saudi Arabia condemns these terrorist attacks that violate Iraq’s sovereignty, security and stability and directly impact counter-terrorism efforts.
It urged cooperation between the Iraqi government and coalition forces to investigate the December 27 attack and take the appropriate measures to put an end to such hostile acts by Iran-backed groups.
The US military carried out air strikes on Sunday against the Kataib Hezbollah militia in response to the killing of a US civilian contractor in a Friday rocket attack on an Iraqi military base, officials said.
Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi on Monday condemned the US air strikes on bases of Iranian-backed Iraqi militia.