Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

US Sending More Troops to Baghdad Embassy after Being Mobbed by Iran-Backed Militias

US Sending More Troops to Baghdad Embassy after Being Mobbed by Iran-Backed Militias

Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 09:15
Protesters gather to condemn air strikes on bases belonging to Hashd al-Shaabi (paramilitary forces), outside the main gate of the US Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq December 31, 2019. REUTERS/Thaier al-Sudani

The US will send more troops to protect the embassy compound penetrated by militias and their supporters in Baghdad on Tuesday and does not plan an evacuation, the Pentagon and State Department said.


Defense Secretary Mark Esper said the US has taken actions to “ensure the safety of American citizens, military personnel and diplomats” and to “ensure our right of self-defense. We are sending additional forces to support our personnel at the Embassy."


The extra force will consist of a small additional detachment of Marine security guards, two defense officials in Washington said. They would be from the Marine Corps Embassy Security Group, which is trained specifically to provide security at US diplomatic missions. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to be identified.


“US personnel are secure,” added an official from the State Department. “There are no plans to evacuate Embassy Baghdad.” This official also was not authorized to be cited by name.


Angered by deadly airstrikes targeting an Iran-backed militia, dozens of Iraqi Shiite militiamen and their supporters broke into the US Embassy compound in Baghdad on Tuesday, smashing a main door and setting fire to a reception area in one of the worst attacks on the embassy in recent memory.


American guards fired tear gas, and palls of smoke rose over the embassy grounds.


An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw flames rising from inside the compound and at least three US soldiers on the roof of the main embassy building. A man on a loudspeaker urged the mob not to enter the compound, saying: “The message was delivered.”


There were no reports of casualties.


Trump blames Iran


The breach followed US airstrikes on Sunday that killed 25 fighters of the Iran-backed militia in Iraq, the Kataib Hezbollah. The US military said the strikes were in retaliation for last week's killing of an American contractor in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base that the US blamed on the militia.


President Donald Trump blamed Iran for the embassy breach and called on Iraq to protect the diplomatic mission.


“Iran killed an American contractor, wounding many. We strongly responded, and always will. Now Iran is orchestrating an attack on the US Embassy in Iraq. They will be held fully responsible. In addition, we expect Iraq to use its forces to protect the Embassy, and so notified!" he tweeted from his estate in Palm Beach, Florida.


By early evening, the protesters had retreated from the embassy compound but set up several tents outside where they said they intended to stage a sit-in. Dozens of yellow flags belonging to Iran-backed Shiite militias fluttered atop the reception area and were plastered along the embassy's concrete wall along with anti-US graffiti. American Apache helicopters flew overhead and dropped flares over the area.


Trump, who is spending the holiday week at his Florida home, is in “close touch” and receiving regular updates from his national security team, said White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham. She echoed the sentiment contained in Trump’s tweet earlier Tuesday.


“As the president said, Iran is orchestrating this attack, and they will be held fully responsible,” Grisham said in an emailed statement. “It will be the president’s choice how and when we respond to their escalation.”


Iraq has long struggled to balance its ties with the U.S. and Iran. But the government's angry reaction to the US airstrikes and its apparent decision not to prevent the protesters from reaching the embassy signaled a sharp deterioration of US-Iraq relations.


‘Victory against American airstrike’


Iraqi security forces made no effort to stop the protesters as they marched to the heavily fortified Green Zone after a funeral for those killed in the airstrikes. The demonstrators were allowed to pass through a security checkpoint leading to the area.


The marchers, many of them in militia uniforms, shouted “Down, down USA!” and “Death to America” and “Death to Israel” outside the compound, hurling water and stones over its walls. The mob set fire to three trailers used by security guards along the wall. AP journalists saw some try to scale the walls.


Others then smashed the gates used by cars to enter, and dozens pushed into the compound. The protesters stopped in a corridor after about 5 meters, and were only about 200 meters away from the main building. Half a dozen US soldiers were seen on the roof of the main building, their guns were pointed at the protesters.


The protesters raised yellow militia flags and taunted the embassy's security staff, which remained behind glass windows in the gates' reception area.


“This is a victory in retaliation to the American airstrike. This is the initial retaliation, God willing, there will be more,” said Mahmoud, a fighter with the Imam Ali Brigades who was carrying a black bag filled with electricity cables that he said he took from the reception area.


A video obtained by the AP showed militiamen trashing the reception area and taking away paperwork.


The embassy, on its Facebook page, urged American citizens not to approach the compound and “to review their personal security and emergency preparedness.”


An Iraqi employee at the embassy told the AP that the embassy’s security team had evacuated some local staff from a rear gate while others left by helicopters and the rest remained inside “safe” areas within the embassy. The employee spoke on condition of anonymity because of not being authorized to speak to journalists.


Multiple officials told the AP that the US ambassador was traveling outside Iraq before the attack on the compound.


‘Until the embassy is closed’


Some commanders of militia factions loyal to Iran joined the protesters outside the embassy in a strikingly bold move. Among them was Qais al-Khizali, the head of one of the most powerful Iranian-backed Shiite militias in Iraq who is on a US terror list, and Hadi al-Amiri, the head of the state-sanctioned paramilitary Popular Mobilization Forces, the umbrella group for the Iran-backed militias.


Jaafar al-Husseini, a spokesman for Kataib Hezbollah, said the protesters had no intention of storming the embassy. He told the AP that the sit-in will continue “until American troops leave Iraq and the embassy is closed.”


Yassine al-Yasseri, Iraq's interior minister, also appeared outside the embassy at one point and walked around to inspect the scene. He told the AP that the prime minister had warned the US that strikes on the Shiite militiamen would have serious consequences.


"This is one of the implications," al-Yasseri said. "This is a problem and is embarrassing to the government."


Hours after the violence erupted, seven armored vehicles with about 30 Iraqi soldiers arrived near the embassy, deploying near the embassy walls but not close to the breached area. There was no immediate comment from the Pentagon and the State Department.


The US airstrikes — the largest targeting an Iraqi state-sanctioned militia in recent years — and the subsequent calls by the militia for retaliation, represent a new escalation in the proxy war between the US and Iran playing out in the Middle East.


US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday's strikes send the message that the United States will not tolerate actions by Iran that jeopardize American lives.


The US attack also outraged the Iraqi government, which said it will reconsider its relationship with the US-led coalition — the first time it has said it will do so since an agreement was struck to keep some US troops in the country. It called the attack a “flagrant violation" of its sovereignty.


In a partly televised meeting Monday, Iraq's caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi told cabinet members that he had tried to stop the US operation “but there was insistence" from American officials. He declared three days of mourning for those killed in the US strikes, starting Tuesday.


The US military said "precision defensive strikes" were conducted against five sites of Kataib Hezbollah, or Hezbollah Brigades in Iraq and Syria.


Editor Picks

Multimedia