Egypt, Libya Mull Cairo Military Intervention against Turkish ‘Invasion’

Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh. (AFP)
Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh. (AFP)
TT

Egypt, Libya Mull Cairo Military Intervention against Turkish ‘Invasion’

Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh. (AFP)
Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh. (AFP)

The speakers of the Egyptian and Libyan parliaments warned on Sunday that Cairo may resort to “military intervention” to counter Turkey’s potential “invasion” of neighboring Libya.

Egypt’s Speaker Ali Abdul Aaal declared before parliament that his country “does not prioritize military solutions over political ones,” but it could be left with no choice if its national security is violated.

Libya’s parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh was present at the parliament meeting in Cairo where he denounced the international community for “abandoning the Libyan people halfway in their pursuit of a democratic civilian state.”

This left the people prey to terrorism and threats from the ISIS group, he added.

“Libya is not appealing for aid from anyone, but it is warning against the new impending Ottoman Turkish madness. This is a desperate attempt by a fascist dictatorial regime that has been ruthless against the Turks, Arabs, Kurds and others,” continued Saleh.

He also slammed the security and maritime cooperation deals signed between Ankara and the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord. The agreements are null and void because they were not approved by parliament, he stated.

“The Libyan people and their national army have the right to combat terrorism and defend their nation against the Turkish invasion,” he vowed.

He told Egypt’s parliament to oppose Turkey’s moves, “otherwise we might be compelled to invite the Egyptian armed forces to intervene”.

For his part, Abul Aal said Cairo had previously invited Libyan leaders, including GNA chief Fayez al-Sarraj, to propose a peaceful solution to their crisis. Some of their leaders, starting with Sarraj, have, however, been overpowered by terrorist groups in Tripoli.

Sarraj then turned to Turkey, which is stirring trouble in the region, said Abdul Aal. “We hope this crisis would be resolved and for all parties to return to reason.”

Saleh and Abdul Aal’s remarks coincided with an Egyptian naval drill in the Mediterranean. The exercise focused on countering a hostile invasion in coordination with naval and land forces, the border guard and special forces. This was the second such drill in almost a week.

Fragile ceasefire

The Libyan National Army (LNA), commanded by Khalifa Haftar, and the GNA had declared a ceasefire last week, halting an advance by the military on Tripoli. The truce was declared ahead of an international conference on Libya, scheduled for Berlin at the end of the month.

The fragile ceasefire was agreed amid international and regional pressure and after talks between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Istanbul last week.

Violations were, however, reported from both sides.

“The (GNA) militias violated the truce on more than one battlefront, with all types of weapons,” said LNA commander Al-Mabrouk Al-Gazawi.

The GNA said that despite gunfire in the Salaheddin and Wadi Rabea areas “minutes” after the ceasefire was meant to start at 0001 am on Sunday (Saturday 2201 GMT), and violations by “the aggressor militias”, it renewed its commitment to the ceasefire.

The LNA has said it still intends to rid Tripoli or its armed rivals.

Tensions have been high after Turkey’s parliament authorized the deployment of troops to Libya, following a deal with the GNA on sending military experts and weapons signed into law in December.

The GNA and Turkey signed security and maritime agreements in November last year, angering Mediterranean countries including Greece and Cyprus who also seek to exploit energy resources in the region.

The deals have alarmed Mediterranean and Arab countries and the United Nations, which have slammed Ankara’s meddling in Libya and warned that its intervention may escalate the situation in the already unstable country.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.