Nigel Pearson’s Plain Speaking and Tactical Rejig Reap Rewards at Watford

 Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
TT

Nigel Pearson’s Plain Speaking and Tactical Rejig Reap Rewards at Watford

 Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters

As recently as early November, Bournemouth were seventh in the Premier League and flying. Manchester United had just been beaten 1-0 thanks to Josh King’s volley and a third successive clean sheet, and the Cherries were 11 impressive games into what looked set to be another season of overachievement. “We felt we needed that win,” said Eddie Howe. “For our own confidence and impetus into our season I think that was a really key game today.”

His team’s defending in particular was a source of satisfaction. “We’re very pleased with our last three defensive performances,” he continued. “We have to do it on a consistent basis. Three games isn’t enough. We need to be looking after 20, 25 games of this season and showing a vast improvement to last year to really say that we’ve turned a corner. So it’s early steps, but the signs look good.”

They are now 21 games into the season, and the signs no longer look good. The 10 league matches played since have featured one clean sheet, one victory and eight defeats. With four points they have what is comfortably the division’s worst record since that United match, and after losing 4-0 at West Ham on New Year’s Day they dropped into the bottom three for the first time.

On Sunday Bournemouth come up against a Watford team who have had an almost exactly opposing experience. Bottom of the league in early November with five points from 11 games, they have the division’s seventh-best record since. The start of the Hornets’ upturn does not quite coincide with that of the Cherries’ collapse. Their improvement has accelerated markedly after Nigel Pearson’s appointment as their third manager of the season in early December – more than 50% of their total points tally for the season has come from their last four games, the team sustaining over the festive period the impetus given to them by a home win over Manchester United.

On the morning of 22 December the sides were separated by 10 points; if the Hornets win at the Vitality Stadium three weeks later they will be two clear.

Bournemouth have had to cope with an epic injury list, with David Brooks yet to play this season, Charlie Daniels out since August, Nathan Aké hamstrung and King also likely to be out on Sunday – though Howe has suggested that some returns are imminent, perhaps as soon as the Watford game.

But this is a superficial explanation for a deeper decline, most obviously illustrated by the dwindling contributions of Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson. Last season the pair scored 21 goals and created 24, famously manufacturing 12 for each other. Neither player has scored since September – since when the only game either has missed was the victory over Chelsea – and the only goal all season that one has created and the other converted came in a 3-1 defeat at Leicester in August, Wilson the scorer.

So is the threat the pair carry terrifying or trivial? And are Watford preparing to face the seventh-best team in the division, or the worst?

“We’re preparing to play a side that needs a result, that’s playing at home,” says Pearson. “They’ll know that we’ve got players that can cause them problems, in the same way that they’ve got players that can cause us problems.

“Initiative will be important in a game like this, for both sides. I never underestimate or overestimate anybody. Really we have to try and find levels of performance for ourselves first. Because if we don’t do that, it doesn’t matter who we play against in the Premier League, we’re going to have a tough day.”

Pearson contends that the idea of a team being in poor or good form is unhelpfully reductive when they are composed of a group of individuals whose morale will vary, and that anyway tactical discipline is of greater importance. “We’re making an assumption that everybody’s this or everybody’s that, and when you play a team sport there’s going to be a mixture,” he says.

“There’s going to be some players who have doubted their ability, or have not had opportunities. In cricket they talk about batsmen playing themselves back into nick, and some of our players are going to have to play themselves back into form if that’s how you want to put it. But you can have players occasionally having an off day as an individual – if they’re still doing what the team requires in terms of the shape, in possession, out of possession, you can still function. Not to your maximum but you’ve still got a chance of getting results, just because the framework’s there.”

Troy Deeney has said that, since Pearson’s arrival, “for the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man”, while Ben Foster said: “We knew we’d got the players, we just needed someone to basically stick a rocket up us and that’s all it is.” But Pearson has brought more than menace and motivation, replacing the 5-3-2 favoured by Quique Sánchez Flores, under whom the attack was so slow it was basically static, with a framework that relies on resolute defending and in attack the ability of Deeney to bring others into play and on the pacy, tricky Gerard Deulofeu and Ismaïla Sarr causing havoc either in wide positions or coming inside. The 56-year-old former Leicester manager had the good fortune to arrive at the club just as Deeney was returning to full fitness following knee surgery and Sarr enjoying his first extended injury-free run, and both play key roles in the 4-2-1-3 formation he has settled on.

A search for statistical signposts to the two teams’ fluctuating fortunes provides further evidence that, in a league full of counterattacking sides, controlling possession often does not have positive consequences. During Bournemouth’s downturn their possession has increased and their passing accuracy has gone up, as has both the number of passes attempted (from 385 per game in their first 11 matches to 449 subsequently) and successful (from 289 to 357). Yet they are scoring 0.6 goals per game, down from 1.3.

In Watford’s upturn their possession and passing accuracy has gone down, as has both the number of passes attempted (from 403 to 354) and successful (from 311 to 251), yet they are scoring 1.1 goals per game, up from 0.6. In the four games where they have had the greatest possession Watford have lost by an aggregate score of 9-1; Bournemouth have extracted two points from the six games where they have had the ball the most.

But Bournemouth’s decline may not prove terminal, and Watford’s improvement may not be extended; further momentum swings are likely. “When things go well I’m always looking for the next hiccup,” Pearson says. “It’s very important that we keep an element of realism about our own situation still. Long way to go, lots of hard work to do, all those sorts of clichés – but it’s absolutely true.”

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."