Nigel Pearson’s Plain Speaking and Tactical Rejig Reap Rewards at Watford

 Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
TT

Nigel Pearson’s Plain Speaking and Tactical Rejig Reap Rewards at Watford

 Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
Nigel Pearson embraces Troy Deeney after Watford’s win over Wolves. ‘For the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man,’ says the forward. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters

As recently as early November, Bournemouth were seventh in the Premier League and flying. Manchester United had just been beaten 1-0 thanks to Josh King’s volley and a third successive clean sheet, and the Cherries were 11 impressive games into what looked set to be another season of overachievement. “We felt we needed that win,” said Eddie Howe. “For our own confidence and impetus into our season I think that was a really key game today.”

His team’s defending in particular was a source of satisfaction. “We’re very pleased with our last three defensive performances,” he continued. “We have to do it on a consistent basis. Three games isn’t enough. We need to be looking after 20, 25 games of this season and showing a vast improvement to last year to really say that we’ve turned a corner. So it’s early steps, but the signs look good.”

They are now 21 games into the season, and the signs no longer look good. The 10 league matches played since have featured one clean sheet, one victory and eight defeats. With four points they have what is comfortably the division’s worst record since that United match, and after losing 4-0 at West Ham on New Year’s Day they dropped into the bottom three for the first time.

On Sunday Bournemouth come up against a Watford team who have had an almost exactly opposing experience. Bottom of the league in early November with five points from 11 games, they have the division’s seventh-best record since. The start of the Hornets’ upturn does not quite coincide with that of the Cherries’ collapse. Their improvement has accelerated markedly after Nigel Pearson’s appointment as their third manager of the season in early December – more than 50% of their total points tally for the season has come from their last four games, the team sustaining over the festive period the impetus given to them by a home win over Manchester United.

On the morning of 22 December the sides were separated by 10 points; if the Hornets win at the Vitality Stadium three weeks later they will be two clear.

Bournemouth have had to cope with an epic injury list, with David Brooks yet to play this season, Charlie Daniels out since August, Nathan Aké hamstrung and King also likely to be out on Sunday – though Howe has suggested that some returns are imminent, perhaps as soon as the Watford game.

But this is a superficial explanation for a deeper decline, most obviously illustrated by the dwindling contributions of Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson. Last season the pair scored 21 goals and created 24, famously manufacturing 12 for each other. Neither player has scored since September – since when the only game either has missed was the victory over Chelsea – and the only goal all season that one has created and the other converted came in a 3-1 defeat at Leicester in August, Wilson the scorer.

So is the threat the pair carry terrifying or trivial? And are Watford preparing to face the seventh-best team in the division, or the worst?

“We’re preparing to play a side that needs a result, that’s playing at home,” says Pearson. “They’ll know that we’ve got players that can cause them problems, in the same way that they’ve got players that can cause us problems.

“Initiative will be important in a game like this, for both sides. I never underestimate or overestimate anybody. Really we have to try and find levels of performance for ourselves first. Because if we don’t do that, it doesn’t matter who we play against in the Premier League, we’re going to have a tough day.”

Pearson contends that the idea of a team being in poor or good form is unhelpfully reductive when they are composed of a group of individuals whose morale will vary, and that anyway tactical discipline is of greater importance. “We’re making an assumption that everybody’s this or everybody’s that, and when you play a team sport there’s going to be a mixture,” he says.

“There’s going to be some players who have doubted their ability, or have not had opportunities. In cricket they talk about batsmen playing themselves back into nick, and some of our players are going to have to play themselves back into form if that’s how you want to put it. But you can have players occasionally having an off day as an individual – if they’re still doing what the team requires in terms of the shape, in possession, out of possession, you can still function. Not to your maximum but you’ve still got a chance of getting results, just because the framework’s there.”

Troy Deeney has said that, since Pearson’s arrival, “for the first time in eight years I have been treated like a proper man”, while Ben Foster said: “We knew we’d got the players, we just needed someone to basically stick a rocket up us and that’s all it is.” But Pearson has brought more than menace and motivation, replacing the 5-3-2 favoured by Quique Sánchez Flores, under whom the attack was so slow it was basically static, with a framework that relies on resolute defending and in attack the ability of Deeney to bring others into play and on the pacy, tricky Gerard Deulofeu and Ismaïla Sarr causing havoc either in wide positions or coming inside. The 56-year-old former Leicester manager had the good fortune to arrive at the club just as Deeney was returning to full fitness following knee surgery and Sarr enjoying his first extended injury-free run, and both play key roles in the 4-2-1-3 formation he has settled on.

A search for statistical signposts to the two teams’ fluctuating fortunes provides further evidence that, in a league full of counterattacking sides, controlling possession often does not have positive consequences. During Bournemouth’s downturn their possession has increased and their passing accuracy has gone up, as has both the number of passes attempted (from 385 per game in their first 11 matches to 449 subsequently) and successful (from 289 to 357). Yet they are scoring 0.6 goals per game, down from 1.3.

In Watford’s upturn their possession and passing accuracy has gone down, as has both the number of passes attempted (from 403 to 354) and successful (from 311 to 251), yet they are scoring 1.1 goals per game, up from 0.6. In the four games where they have had the greatest possession Watford have lost by an aggregate score of 9-1; Bournemouth have extracted two points from the six games where they have had the ball the most.

But Bournemouth’s decline may not prove terminal, and Watford’s improvement may not be extended; further momentum swings are likely. “When things go well I’m always looking for the next hiccup,” Pearson says. “It’s very important that we keep an element of realism about our own situation still. Long way to go, lots of hard work to do, all those sorts of clichés – but it’s absolutely true.”

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.