Tosin Adarabioyo: ‘In Five Years I’d Like to Be Man City Captain. It Can Happen’

 Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
TT

Tosin Adarabioyo: ‘In Five Years I’d Like to Be Man City Captain. It Can Happen’

 Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian

Tosin Adarabioyo may be on loan again from Manchester City but the 22-year-old remains focused on the boyhood dream. “In five years’ time I’d like to be captain of Man City and have won the Premier League and the Champions League. Definitely it can happen,” he says.

Here high ambition is married to a recognition of the hard yards required to reach the top. Sitting in plush seats at The Mere hotel in Cheshire, Adarabioyo can point to the decision to sign for a season at Blackburn Rovers after spending the previous campaign on loan at West Bromwich Albion.

Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend
Read more
“I just felt like I needed to go out there and get some more games and prove what I can do,” the centre-back says. “My aim has always been to get back to City and be a main player in that team. I felt I needed to go out again because last season I was predominantly playing right-back. I didn’t actually get to show what I can do.”

At West Brom he played 36 times including the closing minutes of the Championship play-off semi-final second leg against Aston Villa, Dean Smith’s side progressing on penalties. But instability at West Brom meant Adarabioyo had two managers in 2018-19 – Darren Moore and James Shan – and the experience was not the best.

“It was up and down,” he says. “I was playing out of position: right-back. I didn’t really enjoy that. That’s not where I play best but I learned a lot there.””.

This contrasted, Sterling argued, with how another City player, Phil Foden, was written about in the same publication when buying a “£2m” house for his mother to “set up a future”.

This season has been plagued by the racist abuse of footballers. Those targeted include Manchester United’s Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford, Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold and Reading’s Yakou Méïté. Adarabioyo is clear when asked whether the problem has eased since Sterling’s intervention.

“I wouldn’t say it made any difference,” he says. “I haven’t seen much of a change. If anything in recent months it’s got worse. You’ve just got to deal with it however you feel best.

“ Some people want to speak out about it, which I think is the right way to go about it. You have to speak out and have your opinion, try to get rid of racism. Other [players] just want to get on with the game.”

Adarabioyo’s City debut came at 19 under Guardiola’s predecessor, Manuel Pellegrini, in a 5-1 FA Cup defeat at Chelsea in February 2016. Pellegrini selected three other 19-year-olds – Bersant Celina, David Faupala and Aleix García plus Manu García (18) – in protest at having to play on a Sunday before flying to Ukraine to face Dynamo Kyiv the following Wednesday.

Adarabioyo ensured Diego Costa had a difficult match but did not feature again that season. The following year there was an 89th-minute EFL Cup debut against Swansea and a Champions League cameo (30 minutes) before his full debut in the competition, a 1-1 draw with Celtic at the Etihad Stadium. In 2017-18 there were four appearances – two each in the EFL Cup and Champions League – but the final minute of the 2-1 defeat by Basel on 7 March 2018 was Adarabioyo’s last action under Guardiola.

Adarabioyo had been an outstanding prospect in City age-group teams, playing for the under-18s at 14, and made his debut for England at under-16 level. Yet when Guardiola failed to buy a central defender to replace Vincent Kompany, Adarabioyo was still allowed to join Rovers. The manager has since lost Aymeric Laporte to a long-term knee problem, while injuries and form have hampered John Stones.

Guardiola, has not recalled Adarabioyo and the player is unsure of his future. “I’ve not really had much contact with them as of yet. There is a loans manager, Joleon Lescott. He comes out and watches some games, sees how I’m doing and gives feedback. If that’s what they want [to return to City], I’ll be ready.”

When his contract expires in summer 2021 Adarabioyo would be delighted to extend his stay, though his Rovers performances may attract suitors. Signed by Tony Mowbray in July, Adarabioyo has made 18 appearances after his start to the season was hampered by injury.

“I had a tear in my quad. I missed a fair few games but I’m enjoying my time [now]. I’m playing well and getting a lot of minutes. The Championship is tough but enjoyable.”

Adarabioyo adds with a smile: “Obviously it’s a lot of men kicking the ball forward on to your head. I’ve got to deal with that.”

Which is he is doing impressively, Mowbray recently commenting that a defender who is a 6ft 5in ball-player of the City school will harness his talent if he remains grounded.

Adarabioyo’s favourite players when growing up in Manchester point to his own penchant for playmaking. “Patrick Vieira, Ronaldo, Zidane, Steven Gerrard – I liked the way they played,” he says. “I enjoyed growing up in Whalley Range. It was nice – my brothers used to play football all day in the streets.”

Adarabioyo, the youngest of three brothers, was spotted by City aged five. “I was at Chorlton Sports, a local team I’m sure is not around any more. I got picked up and trained at Parrs Wood high school, on the astro, then I moved to Whalley Range high school where there’s five-a-side pitches.”

On Saturday Rovers travel to Sheffield Wednesday. Mowbray’s team are 13th, five points from a play-off place, and won November’s reverse fixture 2-1, Adarabioyo’s equaliser his first senior goal. “It can turn at any time in this league,” he says, “so we just need to get the results.”

The Guardian Sport



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.