The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) suspended on Tuesday its participation in UN-sponsored talks with the Libyan National Army (LNA) in Geneva after an attack on the capital’s port.
In a statement, it said it suspended its participation in the ceasefire talks “until firm responses are taken against the attacker.”
“We will respond firmly to the attack in appropriate timing.”
The LNA on Tuesday shelled Tripoli port, saying first it had attacked a Turkish vessel bringing weapons but saying later it had hit an arms depot.
Since January, Turkey has sent several ships carrying arms and heavy trucks to support the GNA in Tripoli, diplomats say, according to Reuters. It has also sent mercenaries from Syria’s war to defend Tripoli.
The Geneva talks had been agreed by foreign powers at a summit in Germany a month ago.
Tuesday’s attack on the port unfolded as officers from the Tripoli forces and the LNA held a second round of indirect talks in Geneva to establish a permanent ceasefire. Both sides refused again to sit in the same room, UN Libya envoy Ghassan Salame said.