Atlético's Saul Niguez: 'We Know How We Can Hurt Liverpool'

 Saúl Niguez says of Atlético Madrid: ‘I don’t think evolution is the path: we have to be what we always were, what allowed us to compete.’ Photograph: Pablo Garcia
Saúl Niguez says of Atlético Madrid: ‘I don’t think evolution is the path: we have to be what we always were, what allowed us to compete.’ Photograph: Pablo Garcia
TT

Atlético's Saul Niguez: 'We Know How We Can Hurt Liverpool'

 Saúl Niguez says of Atlético Madrid: ‘I don’t think evolution is the path: we have to be what we always were, what allowed us to compete.’ Photograph: Pablo Garcia
Saúl Niguez says of Atlético Madrid: ‘I don’t think evolution is the path: we have to be what we always were, what allowed us to compete.’ Photograph: Pablo Garcia

As it circles Madrid to the south, the M30 motorway emerges from the tunnel beneath the city and heads north-west across the middle of what was once the pitch at the Vicente Calderón, from box to box. Most of the ground has been demolished but one side is just about still standing, the shell of Atlético’s former home. Thousands drive through daily; occasionally, Saúl Ñíguez joins them. Some days he takes friends, aware it will soon be gone. “I tell them: ‘I scored right here,’” he says. “Seeing it hit you. It’s emotional.”

It is Sunday morning at Atlético’s Cerro del Espino training ground, two days before the game that will define their season and possibly beyond and there is a significance to the scene Saúl is replaying, like something was lost when they left. “Only the main stand remains. My friends say ‘get a photo’ and I think: ‘Leave it there, people will come to see it, they’ll come.’ It’s unique, historic. The club needed to change, grow, and it’s hard to say this because we’re at the Metropolitano, which is more comfortable, but the Calderón was different: the magic it generated, the people. Special.

“I always say my best memory is a defeat. At the Calderón against Real Madrid, we won but we were knocked out. And yet the whole stadium stays, no one goes. There’s a deluge and all the Madrid fans have raincoats on. Ours are just in shirts, soaked and they sing in the rain; support us, console us. And you think: ‘Pfff, how can I ever not give everything for these people?’”

That game in 2017 was Atlético’s last European night at the Calderón, a Champions League semi-final. It hasn’t been quite the same since, the concern now that it may not be just the stadium slipping into the distance. Saúl sees the shift, has suffered from it, but he resists. Atlético were finalists in 2014, quarter-finalists in 2015, finalists in 2016 – “losing that was the worst thing that can happen to you in your footballing life,” he says – and semi‑finalists in 2017, beaten by Madrid every time. Since then, they have not passed a knockout round and few expect them to do so against a team who may have better memories of their new stadium than they do. Liverpool claimed their sixth European Cup at the Metropolitano eight months ago.

That night at the Calderón, Diego Simeone said he wished he could clone players such as Diego Godín and Gabi Fernández, sensing an era coming towards the end. This season, that feeling is even more acute. Both have gone and Saúl feels the absence of his former captain particularly keenly. Six players departed in the summer, including Griezmann and Rodri, and although Atlético spent almost €250m they had their worst start under Simeone. Twelve points behind in the league, out of the cup to third-tier Cultural Leonesa, Tuesday is all that is left.

For the first time, there are doubts about the man who Gazzetta dello Sport depicted as Che Guevara. There is an unusual sense of drift in the stands, although there surely won’t be on Tuesday, and the feeling that Atlético are searching for an identity. It is a disconnect between what they always were and those signings suggest they should be, embodied by João Félix – a slight, creative 20-year-old No 10 who cost €126m. If there was to be an evolution, it remains incomplete. Equally, something of what they were sometimes seems to be missing.

Listening to Saúl, someone is missing, the expression of that identity and the captain who allowed him to play his own game. Saúl knows there is a belief that he has stagnated, no longer the marauding midfielder set to lead club and country. In fact, on some levels he shares it. He also explains it, a hint that he has felt misunderstood, maybe even under-appreciated.

He is startlingly candid about the restrictions of responsibility, being “bored” in some positions. He talks of the “need to enjoy football”, to be “let loose”, released to run, but rejects the suggestion he’s at the wrong club. “A couple of years ago, I could do those things. Gabi’s intelligent and although there are other players [now] who are better technically, he made teammates’ jobs easier. I could play to enjoy it.

“Being Gabi isn’t easy: you have to cover everyone. And although people don’t see it, I do that [now]. I feel I’m doing it well. I have to help: on the left, the right, a lot of positions. The team comes first, even if individually I’m not at the same level as two years ago. I’m leaving parts of my game behind and I don’t know that it’s a good thing because you stop enjoying it. I’d like to focus on one position and improve there, learn.”

Maybe it is the security as much as the frustration that enables him to speak this clearly. “I have a long contract,” he says with a laugh. It runs until 2026, with a €150m (£125m) buyout clause. And, he says: “Simeone is the only one who values my work. I play almost every minute. He knows I suffer in positions that are not ideal for me, but he appreciates what I do and I can’t say no to him. I can adapt to any style and I’m grateful to the club: they’ve treated me like a member of the family since I was very young.”

Besides, if Saúl appears suited to a more expansive game, he also insists: “I don’t think evolution is the path. We have to be what we always were, what allowed us to compete,” he says, his pace quickening into a manifesto, more passionate with every passage. “It’s a hard year, a transition. A lot of important people left. Important people came too but they’re young, people who don’t know the club and need to adapt. You have to feel it, believe in it. Don’t think, go. Day after day after day after day, training, training, training until it’s automatic. And if we die, let it be with our own ideas.”

Saúl is 25, but a veteran now, one of four left from the final in Milan in 2016. If they are to return, they will need him. The Champions League is Atlético’s only target and Liverpool are fearsome opponents that he analyses with depth and nuance. “They have those perros de presa [hunting dogs] in the middle who run, press. It’s not just running for the sake of running. They do things that aren’t normal and it looks disordered but it’s ordered, mechanised,” he says. His kind of football, in other words.

“One comes out here and you think: ‘That’s mad, why’s he there?’” he says, marking positions. “But the other man knows and comes from here. [Jürgen] Klopp said they play with their heart, but it’s planned too. One breaks out to press, wild, but they follow. It’s very hard to escape when they come at you like that. It’s incredible. They press like animals, because they know that even if they get turned there will be seven of them running like mad to get back.

“Liverpool are very complete, a great team in every area [but] they find it hardest when you’re deep because they’re very, very, very good in transition. I watched them against Norwich and if it wasn’t for [Sadio] Mané’s extraordinary control, they don’t win. They’ve won lots of games they could have drawn or lost, which tells you something about what they have inside. It’s not luck. It’s work, sacrifice, not giving up a single ball for lost.”

And it’s frightening. European champions, top of the league having collected 103 of 105 points, there is pessimism in Madrid, but Saúl rebels. What do you do with stats such as Liverpool’s? “You break them,” he says.

“There’s no memory in football: what you did yesterday is no use. We had a good run before Christmas then we fell away and it was hard. People wanted to kill us. Do I think it’s unfair? Honestly, yes. But it’s life. People whistle Cholo, important players; the fans are demanding. If we win two or three games, it’ll change again. We know how we can hurt Liverpool their strengths and weaknesses, and we always compete against big teams. We have to make the most of the home game. There will be an incredible atmosphere, more than ever.”

But the Metropolitan still lacks something. “Yeah, time,” Saúl replies. “There have been few moments like at the old Calderón but it’s a great stadium, they’re great people. It’s about epic games, comebacks, wins, big nights against big teams. That’s what builds the magic.”

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."