Robert Lewandowski: 'I Still Believe Bayern Will Win the Champions League Final'

The prolific Polish striker reveals his scoring secrets, his high regard for Guardiola and Klopp and how he almost joined Manchester United

Robert Lewandowski scores against Paderborn in the 3-2 win for Bayern. Photograph: Guenter Schiffmann/AFP via Getty Images
Robert Lewandowski scores against Paderborn in the 3-2 win for Bayern. Photograph: Guenter Schiffmann/AFP via Getty Images
TT

Robert Lewandowski: 'I Still Believe Bayern Will Win the Champions League Final'

Robert Lewandowski scores against Paderborn in the 3-2 win for Bayern. Photograph: Guenter Schiffmann/AFP via Getty Images
Robert Lewandowski scores against Paderborn in the 3-2 win for Bayern. Photograph: Guenter Schiffmann/AFP via Getty Images

Robert Lewandowski smiles as he looks at the iPad. “I’m very proud of this game,” he says, focusing intently on the screen. The Bayern Munich striker is being shown highlights from one of his greatest performances, the night he scored four goals for Borussia Dortmund in a Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid, and Lewandowski does not need much prompting to explain his finishing masterclass.

It was 24 April 2013 and a wonderful Dortmund side were flying under Jürgen Klopp. Lewandowski has not forgotten the details from that first leg at Westfalenstadion. “If you score four goals against Real in a semi-final, it is something special,” he says. “You never forget. The best goal? The third – this one.”

Lewandowski points as a wayward shot from Marcel Schmelzer reaches him in the area. He needs three touches: one to control, one to produce a brilliant dragback and one to lift the ball into the top corner without backlift. “I didn’t have so much space,” he says. “I saw the ball was coming to me. I saw Pepe was coming from the right side, I saw Xabi Alonso coming from the left. But I was so focused on my skills. I didn’t think too much. I just wanted to do what I do best: score.

“You don’t have much time. If you think too long or too much, sometimes that is wrong. If you have one idea and know it from the first minute, do it. Shoot. I had so little space in the box. Think too much, the defender comes to block you.”

Lewandowski scored his fourth goal from the spot, crashing a penalty beyond Diego López, and at that stage it seemed inevitable he would become a European champion one day. Seven years on, though, the Poland forward is still waiting. Lewandowski has not been in a European final since Dortmund’s defeat by Bayern at Wembley in May 2013.

After joining Bayern in 2015 he has moved away from the summit, defeats in three semi-finals and one quarter-final preceding last year’s humbling by Klopp’s Liverpool in the last 16.

While there are murmurs about Bayern being in decline, the Bundesliga champions are in good shape before the first leg of their last-16 tie against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday. They have inched in front of RB Leipzig at the top of the league and belief has returned since Hans Flick was appointed as caretaker manager following November’s sacking of Niko Kovac.

“The players feel more confident because they know what the trainer wants from them,” Lewandowski says. “The communication is much better. I still believe that one day we will play in the Champions League final and we will win it.”

Lewandowski has a few grey hairs but the player nicknamed The Body looks as lean as ever. The 31-year-old’s sharpness remains intact and he feels fresh physically and mentally. Lewandowski has scored 42 goals for club and country this season – including the winner as Bayern beat Paderborn 3-2 on Friday night – and he is always working on surprising his opponents.

“Now everyone knows a lot about tactics,” he says. “Before the game you cannot say: ‘Today, I try this move.’ That’s impossible but if your body knows this movement, this technique, in one perfect moment it’s coming.

“I am doing shooting and sometimes you could think: ‘It doesn’t matter, it’s just training.’ But no, if you focus maybe it can be easier in the game. If you have 20 chances in training and score 20 goals during the game maybe you are more likely to score.

“At Dortmund we bet that if I score 10 goals then Jürgen Klopp gives me €50. The first training sessions, I score three or four. Then after five, six, seven sessions I score seven, eight. Then after three months I score every training more like 10. After a few weeks Jürgen said: ‘No more, it’s too much for me. I don’t want to pay you anymore.’ That was part of my mentality. That was very helpful for me. And good in another way.”

Lewandowski is fascinating on the art of goalscoring. He sees selfishness as a virtue and explains that strikers think differently to other players. “You can play very well,” he says. “You can make a pass, you make a cross. But if you want to score almost every game, you have to change your mentality. It is not like you change a switch: ‘OK, now I score.’ Maybe 70% is from your head and not your skills. Not everyone can play like a striker.”

Confidence comes into it, training the mind to forget about the missed chances. Lewandowski’s self-belief is impressive and he has looked into psychology. A discussion with one professor revealed something curious about Lewandowski’s pre-match routine. “Everything you do before the game, the routine is also important to keep the high-level concentration,” he says. “The brain gets the information that something important is coming. He asked what I do. I said: ‘I don’t know, I do a few things.’ But before the next game I was more focused. Every time I put the left boot on first.”

There was a time when the traditional No 9 seemed to be out of fashion. When Pep Guardiola was at Bayern people wondered whether he would take to Lewandowski, whose response was to score five goals in nine minutes against Wolfsburg in September 2015. The relationship flourished and Lewandowski thinks the Manchester City manager made him a more intelligent player.

“When Pep came to Bayern Munich people thought that we would be playing without a No 9,” Lewandowski says. “For me, that was like: ‘Maybe I should try to play in another style.’

“I learned a lot from Pep. We spoke a lot about tactics and for me that was something new. I knew that if I could play for Guardiola with his mind and his ideas – about tactics, about strikers – that it would be good for me. In modern football it’s very difficult to play without a striker. I’ve not seen that for a few years.”

Lewandowski praises Guardiola’s tactical vision and Klopp’s man‑management. “They are different trainers but if you make a mix from both it would be perfection,” he says.

He marvels at Liverpool – “a machine” – and talks about how Klopp changed him as a person. “He is an amazing guy. It doesn’t matter what he says: you believe him. Everything is from the heart.

“Before I had a lot of problems with my body language – being more a part of the game and training. My body language was the same. Sometimes you have to be more angry. For me that was never going to happen.”

He makes a monotonous noise and moves his hand in a straight line. “I had to change. That was under Klopp. He told me sometimes he didn’t know if I was angry or happy. Nobody likes changing something in yourself. That was not easy. But I knew if I wanted to be a better player and move to the next step in my career I had to start.”

Lewandowski almost linked up with another managerial great in 2012. “Sir Alex Ferguson,” he says. “I was speaking with him after two years at Dortmund and at that time I was really thinking about a move to Manchester United. Because of Ferguson and because of Manchester United. Borussia Dortmund said: ‘No, that’s that.’ That was the first time I was thinking about the move because if you get a phone call from Sir Alex Ferguson, for a young player it was something amazing. That was a special day for me.”

Speculation about joining Madrid has died down. Lewandowski is settled at Bayern but he is still looking to add extra layers to his game. “I want to play for a long time,” he says. “I don’t feel 31 years old and everything I am doing now is working to keep me in top for the next five, six years. I don’t want to be a striker who spends 90 minutes in the box waiting for the ball. I don’t like just getting the ball 10 times during a game. It’s not enough for me; I find those games difficult.

“Sometimes you have to be there waiting for the ball and if you get it once in the 90 minutes you have to be ready. But I say: ‘I want to be part of the team, of the game, I want to move and pass and not just wait for the ball.’ That’s why I am always looking for space to get the ball and find my teammates. I can work on everything still. But one thing? Maybe to shoot from distance.”

(The Guardian)



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."