Football Faces Endless Conundrums When the Game Finally Restarts

 The locked gates of Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA
The locked gates of Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA
TT

Football Faces Endless Conundrums When the Game Finally Restarts

 The locked gates of Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA
The locked gates of Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

As Gareth Southgate put it so eloquently, this is hardly the moment for football to take centre stage. Yet after a week in which almost all of the sport’s global calendar was suspended amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, England’s manager can be forgiven for wondering if what Pelé described as the “beautiful game” will ever recover from this crisis.

Thursday’s joint announcement by the Football Association, the Premier League and the EFL that the provisional date of the first weekend in April for the resumption of men’s and women’s professional football had been pushed back almost a month until “no earlier than 30 April” confirmed the worst for many clubs and supporters in Britain.

Less than seven days after Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta was diagnosed with coronavirus, prompting the initial postponement of the Premier League programme the following morning, the entire football industry in Britain has been plunged into turmoil as staff scramble to find a way of plugging the gaps left by the loss of match-day revenue, income that becomes more critical the further you go down the pyramid.

Faced with the threat of Covid-19 sweeping across Europe, football’s authorities had little choice but to shut down all domestic competitions, although the government was initially slow to act and last weekend’s National League fixtures were somehow still allowed to take place. “The reason it went ahead is because whoever sits on the board of the National League just cared about the money. Simple as that,” said the Eastleigh manager, Ben Strevens, after his side’s 4-0 defeat at Notts County played out in front of 4,942 supporters. “They didn’t think about the wellbeing of the spectators, and it’s not only the supporters: we’ve got a kitman who is an old boy, and there’s stewards who are older. They’re the ones that are most at risk. There’s no way whatsoever these games should have been played.”

Thousands of junior matches up and down the country were also played last weekend but it was not until Monday that the FA finally acted by issuing a statement “advising that all grassroots football in England is postponed for the foreseeable future”. That was in line with the government’s recommendation for people to avoid social contact and gatherings where possible. By contrast, those measures were introduced in France and Germany on Thursday 12 March, the same day Uefa announced that the following week’s Manchester City v Real Madrid and Juventus v Lyon Champions League second legs were postponed.

When Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi was among those to test positive for Covid-19 on 13 March, Uefa swiftly confirmed that all the remaining Champions League and Europa League matches scheduled to take place this past week had been postponed.

On Tuesday the Norwegian Football Association confirmed on Twitter, after an emergency video conference involving European football’s governing body and major stakeholders, including all 55 national FAs, that Euro 2020 would have to wait until next summer. It had long been inevitable.

“We are at the helm of a sport that vast numbers of people live and breathe that has been laid low by this invisible and fast-moving opponent,” said Uefa’s president, Aleksander Ceferin. “It is at times like these, that the football community needs to show responsibility, unity, solidarity and altruism.”

The decision to delay their quadrennial showpiece tournament – which generated almost £2bn for Uefa when it was hosted by France in 2016 – was clear recognition that there was no other option. With the finals spread across 12 cities from Dublin to Baku, it remains to be seen whether the current format can be retained in 2021 despite officials insisting not much will change. We have still yet to discover the fate of the 2021 women’s tournament that was scheduled to be held in England next summer, with the first match at Old Trafford on 7 July.

Uefa has said it will announce the new dates in due course but Ceferin hinted that the preferred option may be to hold the tournament in 2022. “Yes, that’s one of the possibilities, one of the most likely to happen,” he said. “I don’t think that we should cannibalise the women’s Euro with the men’s Euro just one month before.”

As well as the final, on 12 July, Wembley is due to host both semi-finals of the rescheduled men’s Euros next year, so there will be logistical concerns about holding another tournament in the same country so soon afterwards.

New dates must also be found for the men’s under-21s tournament due to take place in Slovenia and Hungary, plus the Nations League finals, but Uefa has at least given clubs a window in which to complete their domestic leagues and European competitions should the situation allow.

Advertisementts president even expressed hope that the new spirit of cooperation could be here to stay after praising the swiftness with which his Fifa counterpart, Gianni Infantino – usually a sworn enemy – had acted to deal with the crisis by ensuring that the whole football world acts accordingly. “There is no more time for egotistic ideas,” Ceferin said. “There is no more time for selfishness. This is a reset of world football.”

Time will tell on that front. When life does eventually return to normal, however, the challenge of finishing hundreds of league and cup programmes around the continent – not to mention the Champions League and Europa League – will be seismic.

The “commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, ie 30 June” that was signed by Uefa and most of Europe’s domestic leagues also recognised that it may mean “possible limitations or drops of current exclusive calendar slots, potentially resulting in the scheduling of domestic league matches in midweek and scheduling of Uefa club competitions matches on weekends”.

The Premier League’s announcement on Thursday followed suit, with the prospect of games being held being closed doors if necessary believed to be among the plans under consideration. Concerns over the expiration of many players’ contracts on 30 June make it highly desirable that the season be over by then, although contingency measures including clubs offering temporary extensions to out-of-contract players or those on loan deals are also understood to be under discussion.

There is one relatively isolated country in Europe, though, where football goes on oblivious to the rest of the continent’s travails. The new season in Belarus began on Thursday, despite 51 reported cases of coronavirus in the former Soviet satellite. “There is no critical situation. So we decided that we are starting the championship in a timely manner. Today,” said Vladimir Bazanov, chairman of the Football Federation of Belarus. “We have no prerequisites for this yet. We have no panic. The situation in the country is not such that we need to stop everything. Why escalate the situation?”

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.