Traffic Returns to Jordan’s Streets, No New Virus Cases

A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
TT

Traffic Returns to Jordan’s Streets, No New Virus Cases

A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo

Life has returned in the cities and roads of Jordan, with the streets of the Jordanian capital Amman filled with vehicles, the movement of which is organized by the day of the week according to an even-odd license plate policy, while around 50 percent of public vehicles are back on the roads.

The country has been in lockdown since March, but restrictions are now being relaxed. Shoppers returned to various shops and establishments, while Asharq Al-Awsat noticed that the largest crowds were outside fast-food restaurants after photos of a queue of cars outside one of them were widely shared on social media. The services of barbershops and laundries were also in noticeably high demand.

Criticism of the performance of the government's economic team, however, has been pointed. The Former Minister of State for Media Affairs, Muhammad al-Momani, wrote an article in the Jordanian newspaper Al-Ghad in which he criticized the government’s measures, arguing that it failed to create a healthy balance between "the need to preserve public health and to maintain the operations of economic sectors that are the lifeblood of Jordanians".

Another former Minister of State for Media Affairs, Samih Al-Maaytah, says that the Defense Law, which King Abdullah II issued by decree on March 17, remains in effect after the number of cases stabilized.

Life had already returned to normal in new governorates such as Madaba, Jerash and Ajloun, after the government's previous decision to close them off and allow life to go back to normal there. Restrictions are also gradually being lifted in Mafraq in the east and Irbid in the north; the latter was considered the first coronavirus hotbed in the country.

No cases have been recorded since Tuesday, but the government decided to have a total lockdown implemented on Friday, as per Epidemiological Committee recommendations that sparked a debate about the "uselessness of the total lockdown for confronting the spread of the virus."

Around 89 out of the 499 of those infected with the virus lie on the beds of government hospitals equipped to treat the virus in Amman after the first symptomatic patient was diagnosed in early March. While the number of deaths increased to 8 after a 40-year-old man died on Tuesday.

With the gradual return to normal life, some social media activists began demanding that mosques be allowed open during Ramadan, which prompted the Ministry of Islamic Affairs and Holy Places to issue a statement confirming its commitment to complying with the recommendations of the Epidemiology Committee regarding the ban on gatherings, even in places of worship.

Moreover, the announcement of a plan to allow the return of Jordanian students from abroad is expected after it had been decided that the first batch, which includes about 4,000 students residing in several European capitals, would arrive at the beginning of May.

More than 23,000 requests to return from abroad have been made to date; however, the returnees are required by the authorities to isolate themselves in hotels in the Dead Sea region at their own expense.
Concerning the General Secondary Education Certificate Examination (Tawjihi), the ministry's director of the examinations department, Nawaf Al-Ajarma, said that the exams would be taken in early August and that university semesters would begin next fall.

The Jordanian government announced that the public sector, schools and universities would have their activities suspended until the end of Ramadan. The private sector, on the other hand, has been invigorated since restaurants and retail stores have reopened as work on building materials and industry also resumed.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.