Traffic Returns to Jordan’s Streets, No New Virus Cases

A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
TT

Traffic Returns to Jordan’s Streets, No New Virus Cases

A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo
A man distributes breakfast to families in Russeifa, Jordan. Reuters file photo

Life has returned in the cities and roads of Jordan, with the streets of the Jordanian capital Amman filled with vehicles, the movement of which is organized by the day of the week according to an even-odd license plate policy, while around 50 percent of public vehicles are back on the roads.

The country has been in lockdown since March, but restrictions are now being relaxed. Shoppers returned to various shops and establishments, while Asharq Al-Awsat noticed that the largest crowds were outside fast-food restaurants after photos of a queue of cars outside one of them were widely shared on social media. The services of barbershops and laundries were also in noticeably high demand.

Criticism of the performance of the government's economic team, however, has been pointed. The Former Minister of State for Media Affairs, Muhammad al-Momani, wrote an article in the Jordanian newspaper Al-Ghad in which he criticized the government’s measures, arguing that it failed to create a healthy balance between "the need to preserve public health and to maintain the operations of economic sectors that are the lifeblood of Jordanians".

Another former Minister of State for Media Affairs, Samih Al-Maaytah, says that the Defense Law, which King Abdullah II issued by decree on March 17, remains in effect after the number of cases stabilized.

Life had already returned to normal in new governorates such as Madaba, Jerash and Ajloun, after the government's previous decision to close them off and allow life to go back to normal there. Restrictions are also gradually being lifted in Mafraq in the east and Irbid in the north; the latter was considered the first coronavirus hotbed in the country.

No cases have been recorded since Tuesday, but the government decided to have a total lockdown implemented on Friday, as per Epidemiological Committee recommendations that sparked a debate about the "uselessness of the total lockdown for confronting the spread of the virus."

Around 89 out of the 499 of those infected with the virus lie on the beds of government hospitals equipped to treat the virus in Amman after the first symptomatic patient was diagnosed in early March. While the number of deaths increased to 8 after a 40-year-old man died on Tuesday.

With the gradual return to normal life, some social media activists began demanding that mosques be allowed open during Ramadan, which prompted the Ministry of Islamic Affairs and Holy Places to issue a statement confirming its commitment to complying with the recommendations of the Epidemiology Committee regarding the ban on gatherings, even in places of worship.

Moreover, the announcement of a plan to allow the return of Jordanian students from abroad is expected after it had been decided that the first batch, which includes about 4,000 students residing in several European capitals, would arrive at the beginning of May.

More than 23,000 requests to return from abroad have been made to date; however, the returnees are required by the authorities to isolate themselves in hotels in the Dead Sea region at their own expense.
Concerning the General Secondary Education Certificate Examination (Tawjihi), the ministry's director of the examinations department, Nawaf Al-Ajarma, said that the exams would be taken in early August and that university semesters would begin next fall.

The Jordanian government announced that the public sector, schools and universities would have their activities suspended until the end of Ramadan. The private sector, on the other hand, has been invigorated since restaurants and retail stores have reopened as work on building materials and industry also resumed.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.