Jailed UK-Iranian Pleads for Help

A prison guard stands along a corridor in Tehran's Evin prison June 13, 2006. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl.
A prison guard stands along a corridor in Tehran's Evin prison June 13, 2006. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl.
TT

Jailed UK-Iranian Pleads for Help

A prison guard stands along a corridor in Tehran's Evin prison June 13, 2006. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl.
A prison guard stands along a corridor in Tehran's Evin prison June 13, 2006. REUTERS/Morteza Nikoubazl.

The sound is a little fuzzy but Anoosheh Ashoori's voice does not falter as he delivers his message to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson from inside Iran's Evin jail.

"We are in desperate need of your help," the retired engineer, who holds British and Iranian passports, says in a recording made on the phone to his wife in London.

During the three years since his arrest in Tehran, he has endured interrogations and stints in solitary that made him try to end his life, but the 66-year-old's biggest fear now is coronavirus.

"I am appealing to you to take action and get me and my fellow British citizens out of Evin prison, where the threat of COVID-19 is as strong as ever," he urged Johnson, in the recording shared with AFP.

"My fear is that we have been forgotten by the British government."

Ashoori was visiting his mother in Tehran in August 2017 when he was arrested, accused of spying for Israel and later jailed for 10 years, his family says.

Dual nationals from various countries have been detained in Iran, in what campaigners and the British government say is a policy of hostage-taking aimed at pressuring the West.

In an interview in the garden of Ashoori's southeast London home, his wife, Sherry Izadi, dismisses the charges against him as "preposterous" and says his trial only lasted an hour.

The father-of-two had never been involved in politics, she said, telling AFP: "We're very ordinary -- we're extremely unimportant."

And yet, "he went out one day to do some shopping and he never came back."

She said initially, long interrogations and time spent in solitary confinement threatened to break her husband, who staged a 17-day hunger strike and tried to kill himself.

Since his conviction he has been better, keeping fit and joining impromptu lessons with fellow inmates, but the family fears for the future.

"It would be unimaginable for someone innocent to stay somewhere for 10 years for something he's never done," she says.

Some foreign prisoners were given temporary release at the start of the coronavirus outbreak, including British-Iranian Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, whose husband has campaigned relentlessly for her freedom.

But Ashoori remains in jail and the family are increasingly impatient with the lack of progress made by the British government.

Izadi met Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab in October but says "nothing has come of it."

The Foreign Office advised them not to talk to the media while it tried the diplomatic route, but Ashoori has asked them to release his statements, which form part of a diary he is recording in daily calls with his wife.

"He says he's got nothing to lose," his daughter Elika, 33, told AFP.

The Foreign Office has recorded around a dozen incidents of people with British passports being arrested in Iran since 2015, and in May last year it advised dual British-Iranian nationals not to visit.

Former foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt in December 2018 accused Tehran of using foreign passport holders as "pawns of diplomatic leverage" -- a claim Iran strongly denies.

Supporters of Ashoori and Zaghari-Ratcliffe believe their cases are linked to a long-running legal battle over £400 million ($500 million) Iran paid to Britain in the 1970s for tanks that were never delivered.

But campaigners have also cried foul over the detention of dual nationals from other countries, including French-Iranian academic Fariba Adelkhah.

In another message sent from prison, Ashoori says one of his fellow inmates witnessed Adelkhah being brought into jail.

She was "kicked and dragged on the floor by her hair, and was showered with curses and other physical and verbal abuse" by secret police guards, he said.

A Foreign Office spokesman said the fate of the dual nationals held in Iran was "a priority" and raised with Tehran at the highest levels of government.

"We strongly urge Iran to reunite British-Iranian dual national Mr. Ashoori with his family," a spokesman said.

But the Iranian embassy in London rejected any claims of politically motivated charges.

Ashoori had been convicted of "national security-related crimes by the Iranian judiciary in a due judicial process in which Mr. Ashoori had the right and opportunity to defend himself," it said in a statement to AFP.

"Iranian authorities ensures proper access to medical services for prisoners inside or outside prisons based on regular checks."



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.