Annexation is Declaration of War, Says Hamas’ Qassam Brigades

A Palestinian fighter from the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades gestures inside an underground tunnel in Gaza in this August 18, 2014. (Reuters)
A Palestinian fighter from the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades gestures inside an underground tunnel in Gaza in this August 18, 2014. (Reuters)
TT
20

Annexation is Declaration of War, Says Hamas’ Qassam Brigades

A Palestinian fighter from the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades gestures inside an underground tunnel in Gaza in this August 18, 2014. (Reuters)
A Palestinian fighter from the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades gestures inside an underground tunnel in Gaza in this August 18, 2014. (Reuters)

Hamas’ armed wing said on Thursday that Israel’s decision to annex parts of the occupied West Bank “a declaration of war against Palestinian people.”

“We will make the enemy bite its fingers in regret for such a sinful decision,” said Abu Ubaida, spokesman of the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades.

In a televised speech, Ubaida stressed that “Qassam will not speak much and will say what is clear for the occupation to understand.”

He affirmed the resistance movement’s commitment and pledge to hold a prisoner exchange deal with Israel, noting it was a priority for his group.

He also pointed out that no deal will be made without the release of senior prisoners and prisoners with Israeli blood on their hands.

“The resistance will be the loyal and dutiful guard of the people throughout this war, acting in defense of our people, our land and our holy sites.”

The Qassam’s threats came two days after Hamas’ call for a massive “popular revolution” throughout Palestinian territories and the Arab and Muslim worlds to thwart Israel’s unilateral annexation plan.

Tel Aviv fears the situation could escalate in the Gaza Strip and possibly in the West Bank, and worries that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas is trying to drag Hamas to clash with Israel.

Sources said that the cessation of security and civil coordination may affect the payment of salaries and the flow of goods to and from Gaza, stoking tensions in the already-tense coastal enclave.

Israeli security forces are concerned that an escalation in the Strip could coincide with an intifada in the West Bank.



Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
TT
20

Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).

Lebanese authorities have begun curbing Hezbollah’s influence at Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport by revoking the security clearances of numerous airport workers affiliated with the group.

The airport security apparatus has refused to renew these permits, significantly limiting Hezbollah’s reach within the facility.

According to an informed airport source, over 30 employees have been notified that their security clearances have expired and will not be renewed. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source explained that the decision affected not only baggage handlers assisting passengers but also those loading and unloading aircraft, as well as personnel in baggage inspection and lost-and-found departments.

“The decision came as a shock to those affected, especially since many had worked at the airport for years with unrestricted movement,” the source said.

This move aims to enhance airport security and reduce Hezbollah’s influence to the lowest possible level. The source described the dismissed employees as “the party’s eyes and ears inside the airport, providing a constant flow of intelligence on the movement of travelers.”

The source also revealed that Hezbollah had previously exerted pressure to secure employment and access permits for its loyalists, ensuring that only individuals approved by the group could receive such authorizations.

“This is how Hezbollah expanded its control over the airport for decades,” the source added.

The crackdown follows Lebanon’s recent ban on Iranian civilian aircraft landing at Rafik Hariri International Airport, alongside stricter baggage inspections for passengers arriving from Iraq or those transiting through a third country from Iran. These measures were introduced after authorities discovered undeclared cash, suspected to be Iranian funds intended for Hezbollah.

The restrictions sparked protests from Hezbollah supporters, who staged week-long demonstrations in February, blocking airport access roads and causing disruptions to flight schedules.

The effort to limit Hezbollah’s reach extends beyond civilian workers. A senior security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the purge will also affect security personnel within airport divisions, including customs officers, Internal Security Forces (ISF) personnel, and General Security officers.

“Many individuals are suspected of facilitating Hezbollah’s activities, whether out of political loyalty or financial incentives,” the official said.

The official described the ongoing changes as a “major security shake-up” aimed at replacing those under suspicion. The restructuring depends on internal reshuffles within Lebanon’s security agencies.

“The newly appointed security chiefs now have a clear picture of the situation. Upcoming personnel rotations will certainly include units operating at the airport,” the official confirmed.