How Mario Balotelli's Brescia Homecoming Turned Into a Nightmare

 Mario Balotelli during the warm-up before Brescia’s game against Juventus in February. Photograph: Massimo Pinca/Reuters
Mario Balotelli during the warm-up before Brescia’s game against Juventus in February. Photograph: Massimo Pinca/Reuters
TT

How Mario Balotelli's Brescia Homecoming Turned Into a Nightmare

 Mario Balotelli during the warm-up before Brescia’s game against Juventus in February. Photograph: Massimo Pinca/Reuters
Mario Balotelli during the warm-up before Brescia’s game against Juventus in February. Photograph: Massimo Pinca/Reuters

Mario Balotelli’s stomach ache returned over the weekend. The Brescia striker had only been allowed back into his club’s training base last Wednesday after six days off with gastroenteritis. He was scheduled for a pair of individual workouts on Saturday but left the facility after completing the first, having suffered an apparent relapse. A post on his Instagram Stories simply said: “Sick.”

Hours earlier, he had shared a video of himself on the same platform, still sweating from the morning practice session. “Stop asking if I’m going to training or not,” he said. “I’m going to training guys. I have always been training.”

He has not done it with his teammates, though, since early March. When Serie A clubs were given the green light to resume training last month, Balotelli was notably absent from Brescia’s group work. The club’s owner, Massimo Cellino, told the BBC World Service: “He doesn’t show up to training, he doesn’t look very committed, let’s say, for the future of the club.”

The question of who was responsible for such non-attendance may finish up in court. Cellino began proceedings this month to have Balotelli’s contract terminated for just cause, an extraordinary step when you consider that it was already likely to expire this summer. The one-year deal Balotelli signed last August would automatically be extended if Brescia avoided relegation, but they are bottom of Serie A, with nine points to make up in 12 games.

The picture painted by the club is of a player who opted out. Asked by the newspaper Corriere della Sera why Balotelli was not training with the first-team squad, Brescia’s manager, Diego López, blamed a failure to engage during lockdown with online training tools provided by the club.

“It was optional, OK, but the rest of the group took one path and he took the other,” said López. “During quarantine, on Zoom, he did not show himself. Even if he says he is in good shape, he is not on the level of his teammates.”

Balotelli has not spoken so directly on the matter, but his social media posts and brief interactions with the press suggest that he feels unfairly excluded. After his first bout of gastroenteritis, he sought to resume training at Brescia’s facility on 9 June, but was turned away at the gates – apparently because he had not updated the club early enough about his recovery. As he trudged back to his car, he was heard protesting: “Then they say that I won’t train.”

The dispute has other threads. Balotelli has initiated legal action against Brescia over unpaid wages from March. His agent, Mino Raiola, accused the club of failing to put Balotelli through a mandatory Covid-19 test. Brescia defined that latter claim as “false and slanderous”, warning that their legal team had been instructed to pursue the matter in the relevant chambers. Balotelli has been invited to give his account to an Italian Football Federation hearing on Thursday.

How did it come to this? Balotelli’s move to Brescia was supposed to be a triumphant homecoming, a rare talent – albeit one whose potential had never been fully realised – returning to the town where he grew up, to play for the team he once served as a ballboy. The Rondinelle (Little Swallows) had just been promoted to the top flight after eight years outside it. They believed Balotelli could deliver the goals to keep them there.

He is the club’s top scorer this season but five goals in 19 games are hardly transformative. In a tale familiar from too many other stops in his career, Balotelli has sparkled only intermittently, serving up brilliant goals against Verona and Lazio but failing to leave a mark on other occasions. Two of Brescia’s four wins so far this season arrived while he was still serving out a suspension picked up at his previous club, Nice.

Were the expectations on him always unrealistic? Brescia’s squad are not without talent – the 20-year-old midfielder Sandro Tonali is one of Italian football’s brighter prospects – but lack the depth to thrive at this level. Cellino’s impatience has not helped, either. He fired Eugenio Corini as manager in November, replacing him with Fabio Grosso for three games before swapping back. Corini lost the job again in February, this time being replaced by López.

It is not easy for any player to adjust constantly to different managers with different ideas about how the game should be played, but the changes can only feel more acute for one who tends to be singled out for special treatment. Grosso threw Balotelli out of a training session and excluded him from a trip to Roma. López gave him the captain’s armband.

On top of all this, Balotelli also found himself back at the centre of Italian football’s continuing struggle with racism. He was subjected to monkey chants during the defeat at Verona and responded by kicking a ball at the perpetrators. The opposition manager, Ivan Juric, and president, Maurizio Setti, ridiculously insisted no racist abuse had taken place.

That claim was contradicted by independent observers but, even then, the partial stadium closure handed down as a punishment was appealed into a suspended sentence. One ultra was banned from attending games by Verona after telling a local radio station that, in his eyes, Balotelli could never be “fully Italian”.

Even in Brescia’s own stadium, Balotelli has been targeted. A game against Lazio was interrupted as the PA and the visitors’ manager, Simone Inzaghi, implored away fans to stop making racist chants.

Then there were Cellino’s remarks in November. Asked about Grosso’s decision to drop Balotelli, the owner replied: “What can I say? That he’s black and he’s working to whiten himself but he has great difficulties in this.”

It was defended by some as a play on words – “nero”, the Italian word for “black” is sometimes used as an adjective to stress a deep level of anger – but Cellino refused even to acknowledge that his phrasing could have upset anyone.

Only Balotelli can know how greatly these incidents did or didn’t affect him. From the outside looking in, we can only observe the broad arc of what can feel at times like a story stuck on repeat: optimistic beginnings giving way to a fractious end.

There is time yet to write happier chapters. “He’s still only 30 [in August], not 40,” observed López. “He’s the master of his own destiny. Not like this, though. He needs a different mindset.”

In the lexicon of Italian football, “stomach ache” has frequently been used as a euphemism for a player’s desire to change clubs: a call-back to Zlatan Ibrahimovic telling a reporter that his questions were causing him such symptoms during his final season at Inter. Balotelli could find worse models than the Swede for how a striker can continue to reinvent themselves into a fourth decade.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.