Iranian involvement in attacks against Saudi Arabia reveals the regime’s intention for the region, said Saudi Arabia's Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid Bin Salman on Wednesday.
“The UN report confirming the Iranian regime's involvement in sabotage attacks on the Kingdom illustrates the regime’s dark vision for the region, while countries in our region work to promote positive relations, and provide stability and security,” Prince Khalid tweeted.
“The Kingdom's decision to request an independent UN investigation confirmed what we already knew about the Iranian regime. The international community must do its part in maintaining the arms embargo in order to end the crimes and hostility of this regime,” he added.
On Tuesday, the United Nations Security Council had discussed a report by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that established that cruise missiles used in attacks on oil facilities and an international airport in Saudi Arabia last year were of “Iranian origin.”
The report included details that examined the wreckage of missiles and drones used in the attacks on Saudi oil facilities in Afif (central Saudi Arabia) in May 2019, the 2019 Abqaiq–Khurais attacks, and attacks on the Abha International Airport in June and August 2019.
The report also mentioned the implementation of UN resolution 2231, passed in 2015, regarding the nuclear deal with Iran.
Each of the US, France, Germany and the UK held Iran responsible for the attacks which targeted Saudi Aramco, and resulted in halving the production of the world’s largest crude oil exporter.
Earlier in the day, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said that the world is witnessing Iran’s growing aggressive behavior and the regime must stop its crimes.
“The United Nations report confirming Iran's involvement in the attack on our oil facilities highlights the dark picture known since 1979 about the Iranian regime, and the world today sees, hears and feels the growing aggressive behavior of this system,” Al-Jubeir said in a tweet.